• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I am so thankful U2 doesn't do this. I think my feelings toward them would change if they commercialized and profited off fans' desires to meet them. They have always talked about how they know that t

A friend of mine saw Bono in the Orlando airport and texted me.  'He's just sitting here sipping coffee.  He's not disguised and he's in the middle of the terminal sitting as though he's flying coach.

That is phenomenal!  And totally sounds like Bono! I just love it. Yes I can imagine how awesome that would be in the midst of the cranky Orlando airport atmosphere.  I believe the story b/c of how gr

• Subscriber

I am so thankful U2 doesn't do this. I think my feelings toward them would change if they commercialized and profited off fans' desires to meet them. They have always talked about how they know that they owe their privileged lives to the fans who have been there for them year after year, and I just think it would feel icky. One of the things I love so much about these four men is that they sure don't have to, but they often stop their vehicles on the way in to soundcheck and come out and shake hands, sign things, and pose for pictures. And I have never in my life heard of a fan running into them anywhere and encountering any rudeness. I have been lucky and have met Edge twice, Larry once, and Adam once (kind of twice, as he went around the crowd and then came back to me a second time and posed for the picture that is my profile pic here), all outside gigs.  I've made eye contact with and waved to Bono and shouted "I love you!" to him, a few feet away, LOL.  So...I can't even think about paying to do a meet and greet.  

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1
  • Brilliant 1
  • Subscriber

Id rather meet them because they want to meet fans. Not because Im paying them to. HUGE difference in experience. Ive met some bands. The experiences I truly enjoyed were the ones where they love their fans & want to meet them when they are able to. The ones you pay for, they are doing it for the money & its not always an enjoyable experience. I wont pay for meet & greets anymore. Im greatful for the enjoyable experiences I have had. Fan expectation is high & its disheartening & even heartbreaking to see, hear of, or have a negative experience. 

That said, I can count on one hand the bands I would make an exception for. They have withstood the test of time with me & earned my respect & admiration. They also don't charge their fans to meet them. If they ever did, say for charity, Id do it. In a heartbeat.

U2 famously dont charge for this. Frankly, I have way more respect for bands who don't charge. U2 have a great rapport with fans. They truly love & enjoy meeting fans. I was lucky enough to meet Edge. It was a fantastic experience. Ive experienced “drive bys” with the band. All memorable experiences. What made them great, was the band does it because they want to. 

• Subscriber

I have to add a P.S. here - there are bands who do paid Meet & Greets where all the money goes to charity (e.g., Metallica). THAT I approve of.

If U2 did that, I'm still not sure I would do it (you still have to have the expendable income to be able to supply a proper-sized donation, and I'm not sure I'm in the league to afford that), but I wouldn't hold it against them for doing so. All in all, I still think Red Zone tickets at shows are a better way to go.

• Subscriber
On 3/8/2018 at 1:03 PM, JCF said:

One of the things I love so much about these four men is that they sure don't have to, but they often stop their vehicles on the way in to soundcheck and come out and shake hands, sign things, and pose for pictures

A friend of mine saw Bono in the Orlando airport and texted me.  'He's just sitting here sipping coffee.  He's not disguised and he's in the middle of the terminal sitting as though he's flying coach.  Nobody has noticed him.'.  A few minutes later he texted me and told me that Bono was noticed and a mob of people went up to him.  My friend said that Bono did not shy away from any of it; quite the opposite.  He talked to everyone and signed things. My friend said someone eventually got Bono out of there and to wherever Bono goes when noticed in the Orlando airport.  I fly from Orlando to home quite often. My family lives in Florida.  I hate flying home because kids are crying now that Mickey is gone and their parents are quite crabby. Can you imagine looking away from that and seeing Bono casually sitting while sipping cafe?  I did not believe him until he laughed and showed me a picture he snapped because he knew I would doubt his story.  I still wonder if he somehow photoshopped it. He assures me he did not.  My friend had previously told me he thought Bono was a bit of an ass-#@$#.  He quickly changed his tune after seeing how Bono was humble and gracious to the fans.  He won't pay to see them live, but he did admit that maybe Bono is not such a jerk after all.  Ha.  Eat that, U2 foe! 

Edited by Manohlive
  • Like 4
  • Subscriber

I am of the opinion that I wish they would do this at least just once. Not everyone has the time to wait all day outside of a stadium for them to pass by. That is a chance meeting. Id pay some $$ for a guarantee that I can shake hands and take a pic.

• Subscriber
4 hours ago, nyru2 said:

I am of the opinion that I wish they would do this at least just once. Not everyone has the time to wait all day outside of a stadium for them to pass by. That is a chance meeting. Id pay some $$ for a guarantee that I can shake hands and take a pic.

The meet and greets of other bands which I've noticed are almost always well over a thousand dollars; including a ticket.  Most are $1,500-$1,800.  Those are the ones I remember.   I'm wondering how much would be too much for someone who is willing to pay for meet and greets.  I can easily understand your reasoning. How much would be too much?  I think it was the 360 tour where Bono and The Edge came out by the trucks at the loading dock of the venues, and it was usually about 2 in the afternoon.  I could be wrong.  I do remember reading posts where people discussed them being out by the trucks, at roughly the same time and it was one of their tours. My questions are curiosity and not meant to impose an opinion.  I think most people who waited and met them out back, or wherever, were standing in the GA line and afforded the time.  I love signed books.  I love signed U2 memorabilia when I see peoples' pictures on this site.  I love seeing peoples' pics with the band and one can see the excitement in the eyes of the fans.

Edited by Manohlive
  • Subscriber
20 hours ago, Manohlive said:

A friend of mine saw Bono in the Orlando airport and texted me.  'He's just sitting here sipping coffee.  He's not disguised and he's in the middle of the terminal sitting as though he's flying coach.  Nobody has noticed him.'.  A few minutes later he texted me and told me that Bono was noticed and a mob of people went up to him.  My friend said that Bono did not shy away from any of it; quite the opposite.  He talked to everyone and signed things. My friend said someone eventually got Bono out of there and to wherever Bono goes when noticed in the Orlando airport.  I fly from Orlando to home quite often. My family lives in Florida.  I hate flying home because kids are crying now that Mickey is gone and their parents are quite crabby. Can you imagine looking away from that and seeing Bono casually sitting while sipping cafe?  I did not believe him until he laughed and showed me a picture he snapped because he knew I would doubt his story.  I still wonder if he somehow photoshopped it. He assures me he did not.  My friend had previously told me he thought Bono was a bit of an ass-#@$#.  He quickly changed his tune after seeing how Bono was humble and gracious to the fans.  He won't pay to see them live, but he did admit that maybe Bono is not such a jerk after all.  Ha.  Eat that, U2 foe! 

That is phenomenal!  And totally sounds like Bono! I just love it. Yes I can imagine how awesome that would be in the midst of the cranky Orlando airport atmosphere.  I believe the story b/c of how gracious he was with his mob of fans - he's always like that!  I remember one of his drive-by's outside the Boston Garden, he stopped his van and got out and addressed the crowd and actually *apologized* to us that he didn't have the time come around and shake everyone's hands that day.  I have also heard Larry apologize to the crowd that he didn't have time to come around to every single person. They are true gentlemen, they really are.  

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Subscriber
On ‎3‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 12:05 AM, Manohlive said:

happened to me in the Orlando airport also, but it wasn't Bono, it was Dan Rather.  Just sitting there reading. He took a phone call and it was a bit surreal to hear his voice live.