What song can you live without ever hearing live again by the band?

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hmm... is it complete blasphemy to say...Pride?

Beautiful Day The good thing about opening 360 with it was it got it out the way early and anything after it was almost guaranteed to be better.

Elevation could definitely do with a break. Pride and SBS also after 2015 and 2017 tours.

• Subscriber
On 4/11/2018 at 7:58 AM, Grande 3:16 said:

Beautiful Day

The good thing about opening 360 with it was it got it out the way early and anything after it was almost guaranteed to be better.

Beautiful Day for me too .....

• Upvote 1
  • Subscriber

I can think of a bunch but Mysterious Ways and One would top my list for sure.. I could live without most of the ones named above but do enjoy the stadium crowds during Elevation and a couple others; they can skip most of what they did last tour and I'd be happy 

• Subscriber
43 minutes ago, sm2112 said:

they can skip most of what they did last tour and I'd be happy 

That's always my big wish list item for any tour - I want it to be different from the previous tour.  With U2, when they have a new record, they usually play about 8 songs from the new album, and then about a dozen or so older songs.  I love that they're one of the few major bands left that will perform a substantial amount of new material when they tour.  It gets very disheartening to have a favorite band put out a new record, go to see them live, and then only hear 1 or 2 new songs.  I love that U2 is committed to their new material and I don't ever want that to change.

So with all of that in mind, I just want to see the older stuff rotated.  Just to pick one example, Sunday Bloody Sunday was played on every single night (or almost every single night) of the 2001, 2005-2006, 2009-2011, 2015 and 2017 tours.  Why not give it a rest in 2018?  U2 played Even Better Than The Real Thing on every night of the 1992-1993 and 1997-1998 tours; it's great that it got a rest for 2001, 2005-2006, and 2009-2010, which made its reemergence in 2011 exciting.  But now that it's been played on every night of the 2015 tour, I hope it gets a rest in 2018.

U2 have so many wonderful older songs that are also big hit singles or massively popular album cuts that just don't get played very often.  They could easily drop a song like Mysterious Ways on this tour, but still replace it with any number of songs which are just as well known, but aren't heard as much.  There aren't many bands in that position.

• Like 2
  • Brilliant 1
  • Subscriber
12 minutes ago, vertigojds said:

That's always my big wish list item for any tour - I want it to be different from the previous tour.  With U2, when they have a new record, they usually play about 8 songs from the new album, and then about a dozen or so older songs.  I love that they're one of the few major bands left that will perform a substantial amount of new material when they tour.  It gets very disheartening to have a favorite band put out a new record, go to see them live, and then only hear 1 or 2 new songs.  I love that U2 is committed to their new material and I don't ever want that to change.

So with all of that in mind, I just want to see the older stuff rotated.  Just to pick one example, Sunday Bloody Sunday was played on every single night (or almost every single night) of the 2001, 2005-2006, 2009-2011, 2015 and 2017 tours.  Why not give it a rest in 2018?  U2 played Even Better Than The Real Thing on every night of the 1992-1993 and 1997-1998 tours; it's great that it got a rest for 2001, 2005-2006, and 2009-2010, which made its reemergence in 2011 exciting.  But now that it's been played on every night of the 2015 tour, I hope it gets a rest in 2018.

U2 have so many wonderful older songs that are also big hit singles or massively popular album cuts that just don't get played very often.  They could easily drop a song like Mysterious Ways on this tour, but still replace it with any number of songs which are just as well known, but aren't heard as much.  There aren't many bands in that position.

I totally agree but U2 along with some of my other favorites and most acts is they feel the HAVE TO play those "Hits" for the fans that are coming to see those songs.

Now as a big music fan this annoys me because like yourself and many commenting here, we think the majority of tickets purchasers are like us and want to hear the variety but they, and most bands, are playing for the masses and the people who will pay $700+ for a pair of tickets to hear with or without you and sunday bloody sunday. The music business is a business and they want to make sure those people are happy because people like you and I are going to go see them anyway, those people would stop if next time they went they didn't play all these massive hits they have come to expect.  

• Like 2
  • Subscriber

That's true, but what I'm saying is - U2 has so many big giant hits, that they could not play one hit, and simply replace it with a different hit, and a mass audience would still be happy.

U2 didn't play With Or Without You regularly during the third leg of the 2001 Elevation tour, or the first two legs of the 2005 Vertigo tour.  Those shows were still sellouts and still some of the most critically and commercially successful U2 shows of all time. 

I don't think anyone's saying "don't play any hits" - it's more "You have more big hits than you can play in a single night anyway, so how about playing some different big hits this time?"

• Like 1
  • Subscriber
17 hours ago, vertigojds said:

That's always my big wish list item for any tour - I want it to be different from the previous tour.  With U2, when they have a new record, they usually play about 8 songs from the new album,

While I like the new album I'd be sad if they took up 8 slots from it for the show.  So much better stuff to play in their massive catalog.   

• Subscriber

I, too, like others here, would be fine without Pride and One, even though they are fantastic songs.  I'd be fine with dropping Beautiful Day, too.  But like the previous poster pointed out, most folks in the arena are seeing one U2 show on a tour and they want the hits, and the crowd gets excited for the hits, so I get why they play them. And for the record I could NEVER get tired of SBS!  If they are going to play American Soul this tour, I hope they drop Bullet.  (Of course at the end of the day I'll be thrilled no matter what they play!)

• Like 1
  • Subscriber

I do get that they can't drop all the warhorses because there are new and casual fans who want to hear the hits. That said, I've seen other acts as a casual fan and was disappointed not to hear certain hits, but I also realize that if they're touring behind a new album there's no way they're going to play all the stuff I know. I'm just happy to hear at least some songs I love, probably a few I didn't even realize I knew, and definitely a bunch I haven't heard but might be pleasantly surprised by (or not sometimes).

All that being said, I would love to go an entire tour without Pride, unless there is a special occasion for it like MLK Day, passing of gay marriage, or similar occasion where it totally fits. WOWY is one I'd be happy to never hear again, unless it includes the "shine like stars" coda. I've been pig sick of that song since 1987. Beautiful Day is nearing retirement for me, and it could use a break for at least one tour.

Other songs that could use a rest for me are Still Haven't Found, I Will Follow (I know! But switch it up with Gloria, Electric Co, or bring back Two Hearts, maybe even A Celebration). Even Streets is one I probably wouldn't miss if they really shook up the set list, though the energy still gets me

• Like 1