The Elephant in the room - the GA queue !

• Subscriber
8 hours ago, vertigojds said:

My experience from the 2015 and 2017 tours is that a select few fans manipulated the system to allow themselves prime positions in line without actually having to wait in line, going against previously announced venue rules, which put the majority of fans at a disadvantage.  Generally, the venue will set a rule saying that people are not allowed to begin lining up before a set time.

What then happens is that a select few fans decide that this rule doesn't apply to them, and start their own line, often not at the actual venue.  Then, they show up at the time the venue says the line is allowed to begin, and demand that they be counted ahead of everyone who actually showed up at the time the venue said people were supposed to show up.

There is no way I would tolerate this from anyone for anything.  The rules apply to all of us.  If this happens-why not have a fit and get security from the venue?  They are responsible for the line...not a fan or fans.  That's bullshit.  I don't care how big the other guy is or how many...there's no way I'd ever tolerate that type of behavior, nor would I idly sit by and let another fan endure it.  I would not get violent but I'd throw a fit the likes of which only U2's sound system could drown away.  That is complete and utter bullshit.  Those fans who take  a bully pulpit and deem themselves first should be last and have that be their attitude. There is no way anyone would get away with that around me.  I doubt they'd get away with it in Chicago in the first place.  I'm absolutely disgusted to read what you wrote and think of it happening.  Wow.  I'm apalled.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My experience from the 2015 and 2017 tours is that a select few fans manipulated the system to allow themselves prime positions in line without actually having to wait in line, going against previousl

Even though you "politely" pass people who have been waiting for hours, this pretty much makes you a dick.

I think it's fair to say that some people see the fan run queues as being 'cliques' that have a perception of being unfair.  Not everyone knows how to join the fan run queues or has the desire or incl

Posted Images

• Subscriber

I don't think U2 has any say in how the GA lines are run, at least in America.  The venues decide the rules according to each city's ordinances.  The venues set the times and enforce the rules-in conunction with the city council.  For anyone going to Chicago and unaware-The United Center is an awesome venue.  (So is Soldier Field)   I seriously doubt any presupposed queues would be respected.  If so, I'd demand security take charge and put those who consider themselves 'elite' back in their place...behind all those who got there first. Didn't anyone object and get security?  It angers me to think of this happening. That is so not U2.  

• Subscriber

For Dublin on the last tour it was a joke. People starting a GA list nights before the gig in some random place. Then they turn up on the day at the venue and think the list they started on a piece of paper days before and not even started at the venue should be followed by people that turned up on the day earlier than they did.

These people are delusional. It’s a big clique. Just before the doors open they couldn’t care less about who is in the line as long as they get right at the front. Then they stand in front on U2 for the 30th time on the tour and bore the arses off the band as they’ve seen the same faces on the front barrier night after night. 

Its funny to see them expect a reaction from Bono and they don’t get it. 

• Like 1
21 hours ago, vertigojds said:

My edit button doesn't seem to be working this second but I just wanted to add the following:

I'll go with whatever rule system the band and venue come up with.  I'd prefer a Springsteen-type lottery, but I don't think it's a requirement.

What I think is essential is that whatever rule is posted for all to see must be the rule that is followed.

My problem with a lot of the fan-run lists is that they go against clearly posted information, and most people won't have access to info about what the fan-run line is doing.

For example, on every show I saw in 2015 and 2017 that I had GA tickets for, I received an email in advance from Ticketmaster and/or the venue, outlining what the procedure would be for GA ticket holders.  All GA ticket holders got this email - about 2000 ticket holders for the indoor shows, and about 10,000 ticket holders for the outdoor shows.  If 10,000 people get an email saying "This is the time you can show up, this is where to go, and you can't get there earlier than X", there can't be a second set of rules for a select few that completely contradict the information that everyone else has been given.  And, if you got an email from the band, the venue, or the ticket agency, or visited the venue's website, or saw information posted on Twitter from the official source, why would you continue to look for unofficial lineup rules?  You probably wouldn't.  You'd see the rules posted and just assume that those were the rules for everyone.  As they should be.

I'll go with whatever the official rule is.  But I don't want another scenario where I follow every bit of guidance offered by the band and the venue, and then am penalized for following the rules because the rulebreakers have been let in ahead of me.

I agree with all of what you are saying.  I believe we discussed this on the last tour.   A big part of the problem is that most of the venues did not enforce the rules that they originally posted and sent out to GA ticket holders.  They caved in to these line "leaders" who convinced onsite security that they were "helping" organize the line.  Until venue security enforces their own rules or U2 takes over control of the GA line, this will continue to be a problem for the rest of us who are trying to follow directions.

Edited by afg
  • Like 2
  • Subscriber

I found some of the responses in the thread interesting. Personally I don't believe in anything 'Fan Run' if it's not sanctioned by the venue then if a fellow fan(s) is going take it upon themselves to create a system I am going to take it upon myself to ignore it. Manohlive  hit on this above and I have seen this type of thing more often then not.

I don't mean that to sound like I'm being an A**hole if there is no 'system' created by the band/venue then a GA ticket is a GA ticket and I will get on a line, enter like anyone else and that's it. I gave up getting there super early because there was a lot of this fan BS people marking their hands with numbers and coming back hours later and sh*t it's ridiculous. We all purchased a GA ticket and that's it but due to this and not lining up early any more I typically stand toward the back or out of the way in GA because I don't want to deal with the BS or the pushing and shoving of the crowd but, in all honesty, there was one show I pushed my way up a bit and don't feel bad about it at all, it's GA there is no rule.

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, afg said:

I agree with all of what you are saying.  I believe we discussed this on the last tour.   A big part of the problem is that most of the venues did not enforce the rules that they originally posted and sent out to GA ticket holders.  They caved in to these line "leaders" who convinced onsite security that they were "helping" organize the line.  Until venue security enforces their own rules or U2 takes over control of the GA line, this will continue to be a problem for the rest of us who are trying to follow directions.

I think part of the problem is that venues generally hate GA - it means that people will be lining up on their property hours earlier than the actual event, which will cause them to have to hire security and other people that they wouldn't have to hire if it was assigned seating.  A fan-run system that allows people to not actually be at the venue ends up benefiting the venue, which is probably why they turn a blind eye to this or work with those list people.

I think giving out numbers is a good thing, whether that's done by a sharpie or by giving out wristbands.  It's extremely difficult to maintain a single file line in a small space for hours upon hours, and having something tangible that establishes where each person belongs is extremely helpful.  And I think it's just basic human courtesy to allow someone to temporarily leave the line to use the bathroom or to quickly pick up food.  It's unreasonable to expect everyone to stand in place for twelve hours and not need to use a restroom or not need a cup of water.  Having the numbers can be helfpul in that limited context. 

The problem is when I show up around noon at a venue and there's absolutely no one there except for a guy with a list and a bad attitude in a beach chair - but I'm told that I'm actually #200 or #500, and that all of those other people will be back at 5pm.  That's not one person using the restroom and someone else holding their spot.  That's not even a line.

That type of system only works when everyone is alerted in advance.  The TD Garden in Boston does this for many GA shows - they tell people in advance that on the morning of the show, beginning at 9am, you may show up and get a numbered wristband and then leave the venue until 5pm.  And everyone is given that same information and can make plans accordingly and it's fine.  But absent that, a handful of fans cannot be allowed to take it upon themselves to decide to do the same. 

Like I was saying before, venue management generally goes with the fan list, which is a problem.  And when venue management doesn't, those fans can revolt in a really unpleasant way.  I was completely and utterly shocked that the list people resorted to violence in Foxboro last summer when their list wasn't honored.  They were told by the venue days beforehand that it wouldn't be honored.  They were told again the night before it wouldn't be honored.  They were told the morning of the show that it wouldn't be honored.  And then, when the venue actually did exactly what they said and didn't honor the list, the people on it reacted in a disgraceful manner.  I ended up waiting in the parking lot away from both the venue sanctioned line and the fan line until the doors opened because it wasn't worth taking the risk of being injured to attend the show.

• Sad 1
1 hour ago, vertigojds said:

I think part of the problem is that venues generally hate GA - it means that people will be lining up on their property hours earlier than the actual event, which will cause them to have to hire security and other people that they wouldn't have to hire if it was assigned seating.  A fan-run system that allows people to not actually be at the venue ends up benefiting the venue, which is probably why they turn a blind eye to this or work with those list people.

I think giving out numbers is a good thing, whether that's done by a sharpie or by giving out wristbands.  It's extremely difficult to maintain a single file line in a small space for hours upon hours, and having something tangible that establishes where each person belongs is extremely helpful.  And I think it's just basic human courtesy to allow someone to temporarily leave the line to use the bathroom or to quickly pick up food.  It's unreasonable to expect everyone to stand in place for twelve hours and not need to use a restroom or not need a cup of water.  Having the numbers can be helfpul in that limited context. 

The problem is when I show up around noon at a venue and there's absolutely no one there except for a guy with a list and a bad attitude in a beach chair - but I'm told that I'm actually #200 or #500, and that all of those other people will be back at 5pm.  That's not one person using the restroom and someone else holding their spot.  That's not even a line.

That type of system only works when everyone is alerted in advance.  The TD Garden in Boston does this for many GA shows - they tell people in advance that on the morning of the show, beginning at 9am, you may show up and get a numbered wristband and then leave the venue until 5pm.  And everyone is given that same information and can make plans accordingly and it's fine.  But absent that, a handful of fans cannot be allowed to take it upon themselves to decide to do the same. 

Like I was saying before, venue management generally goes with the fan list, which is a problem.  And when venue management doesn't, those fans can revolt in a really unpleasant way.  I was completely and utterly shocked that the list people resorted to violence in Foxboro last summer when their list wasn't honored.  They were told by the venue days beforehand that it wouldn't be honored.  They were told again the night before it wouldn't be honored.  They were told the morning of the show that it wouldn't be honored.  And then, when the venue actually did exactly what they said and didn't honor the list, the people on it reacted in a disgraceful manner.  I ended up waiting in the parking lot away from both the venue sanctioned line and the fan line until the doors opened because it wasn't worth taking the risk of being injured to attend the show.

Funny thing, I was at that Foxboro show.  Showed up 4:45 and was 3 rows back from the top of the B stage.  I know that wouldn’t happen at an arena show but I would be willing to show up earlier if I knew things were organized fairly.