Jump to content

The Elephant in the room - the GA queue !


Recommended Posts

  • Subscriber
On 4/30/2018 at 7:12 AM, james busick said:

Even though you "politely" pass people who have been waiting for hours, this pretty much makes you a dick.

On the contrary, It pretty much makes the people who have been standing there for ages "dicks" for doing so in the first place.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My experience from the 2015 and 2017 tours is that a select few fans manipulated the system to allow themselves prime positions in line without actually having to wait in line, going against previousl

Even though you "politely" pass people who have been waiting for hours, this pretty much makes you a dick.

I think it's fair to say that some people see the fan run queues as being 'cliques' that have a perception of being unfair.  Not everyone knows how to join the fan run queues or has the desire or incl

Posted Images

  • Community Moderator
On 4/30/2018 at 1:12 AM, james busick said:

Even though you "politely" pass people who have been waiting for hours, this pretty much makes you a dick.

 

3 minutes ago, zoodog1 said:

On the contrary, It pretty much makes the people who have been standing there for ages "dicks" for doing so in the first place.

Please keep the the conversation civilized and no name calling.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Subscriber
On 4/30/2018 at 3:39 AM, Rich T. said:

That probably works quite well, as long as you aren't interested in actually being ON the rail (which is where I hang out).  We kick people out who try to get to the rail on false pretenses.  We always know who they are.

I know, I wouldn't mess with anybody on the rail. Mainly because they are so strong that they can cling to it for 2-3 hours. And of course they have so much authority that they can kick people out.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Subscriber
9 minutes ago, zoodog1 said:

I know, I wouldn't mess with anybody on the rail. Mainly because they are so strong that they can cling to it for 2-3 hours. And of course they have so much authority that they can kick people out.

You don't want to mess with the 90-pound women who do the enforcing.  I've seen them in action.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Subscriber

Rules are rules.   By me the venues follow rules.  Every once in a while a fan can intimidate an employee of a venue.  It sounds like that is what the informal GA people are doing. The venues do not want trouble.  They especially do not want people in the GA lines fighting over who is first.  That could make them liable. I have spoken with a few venues about this. They all said that the infomal GA line would not be allowed to skip ahead of whomever obeyed the rules and was there first. People should not get screwed for obeying the rules and lining up for GA as dicated by the venue/city ordinances. It's not a matter of there's room on the GA floor for everyone this tour.  It's a matter of what is right and what is wrong.  If there is room for everyone, why is anyone needing to skip ahead of another?  It makes no sense.  I spoke with someone at my venue and was told they already know to watch for it happening..  People skipping ahead of others because they started something days before the event has no legal merit.  Established rules/city ordinances apply. Legal precedent comes into play when one group is obeying the rules/ordinances and the other is being allowed to disredgard them. They apply even if it did not happen. I'm amazed it has been permitted in the past.

Am I being a jerk for having such a stong opinion on this?  GA people in Tulsa are worried that they will obey the rules for the first show tomorrow, only to have another preordained group come in later and skip ahead of them.  That seems horribly wrong.  Am I missing something?  

Edited by Manohlive
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Subscriber
6 hours ago, Manohlive said:

Rules are rules.   By me the venues follow rules.  Every once in a while a fan can intimidate an employee of a venue.  It sounds like that is what the informal GA people are doing. The venues do not want trouble.  They especially do not want people in the GA lines fighting over who is first.  That could make them liable. I have spoken with a few venues about this. They all said that the infomal GA line would not be allowed to skip ahead of whomever obeyed the rules and was there first. People should not get screwed for obeying the rules and lining up for GA as dicated by the venue/city ordinances. It's not a matter of there's room on the GA floor for everyone this tour.  It's a matter of what is right and what is wrong.  If there is room for everyone, why is anyone needing to skip ahead of another?  It makes no sense.  I spoke with someone at my venue and was told they already know to watch for it happening..  People skipping ahead of others because they started something days before the event has no legal merit.  Established rules/city ordinances apply. Legal precedent comes into play when one group is obeying the rules/ordinances and the other is being allowed to disredgard them. They apply even if it did not happen. I'm amazed it has been permitted in the past.

Am I being a jerk for having such a stong opinion on this?  GA people in Tulsa are worried that they will obey the rules for the first show tomorrow, only to have another preordained group come in later and skip ahead of them.  That seems horribly wrong.  Am I missing something?  

You're not a jerk in my book Manohlive.  I've said it before and I'll say it again. A queue to me is not a book that someone records names in and then tells you to come back at certain allotted times to 'check in' in order to maintain  maintain your place in said 'queue'.  What makes it worse for me is some of the language that the self appointed holders of the book use like 'policing' the (should read their) queue.

It seems that the band/promoters/venues will not be having any part in the GA queue again on this tour and will probably give in the the 'fan queues'.

It's plain to see that this is a divisive issue and yes it is a first world problem but that's not a good enough reason for those who object the these fan organised queues to be silenced.

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Subscriber

just curious how you think a venue or band run GA queue would be better?  If the venue announces that the GA line will start at 6am on the day of the show at a specific location, who is stopping someone from lining up a day before? Saying the are not "allowed" to line up before that time wouldnt do much to discourage them. I was part of a very friendly Red Zone queue. I got there at 2pm, signed in. No one who came after me, skipped me. It was a great experience. Even as we filed into the stadium, everyone respected their place in line. This was in NY/NJ. Rudeness capital of the world! I guess were not so bad after all. :-) 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Subscriber
7 minutes ago, nyru2 said:

just curious how you think a venue or band run GA queue would be better?  If the venue announces that the GA line will start at 6am on the day of the show at a specific location, who is stopping someone from lining up a day before? Saying the are not "allowed" to line up before that time wouldnt do much to discourage them. I was part of a very friendly Red Zone queue. I got there at 2pm, signed in. No one who came after me, skipped me. It was a great experience. Even as we filed into the stadium, everyone respected their place in line. This was in NY/NJ. Rudeness capital of the world! I guess were not so bad after all. :-) 

I am not against people queuing where this involves people going to a venue and staying there until the show.  What I am against is the fan organised lists that some self appointed list keeper starts, sometimes days in advance of a show, and then declares that those on the list have priority over those that are not.

I think the method used for Bruce Springsteen shows makes sense.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Subscriber
1 hour ago, nyru2 said:

ust curious how you think a venue or band run GA queue would be better?  If the venue announces that the GA line will start at 6am on the day of the show at a specific location, who is stopping someone from lining up a day before?

The police will stop it.  They arrest people for scalping around Soldier Field in Chicago.  They will warn you once, and if they see you do it again-your ass is going to jail.  They also enforce GA lineup times.  They are quite strict about it.  The same applies for the United Center.  GA means General Admission-not a select few who feel priviledged to jump ahead and then the rest can follow them once they get what they want.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...