The Elephant in the room - the GA queue !

• Subscriber

The problem with the unofficial check-in, one of them at least, is that it often completely contradicts the instructions given out by the venue.  For indoor shows, there are about 2000 general admission tickets per show.  So, 2000 people get an email from the venue telling them that lineups begin at a certain time, and that you may not line up early.  Then, maybe a couple dozen people decide those rules aren't good enough for them, and decide to start something earlier.  It's just not right to have these two sets of rules.  If the venue sends a list of rules to everyone, specifying what the procedure will be, it's not unreasonable to expect that most people will read those emails/texts/tweets/social media posts and make their plans according to the rules.  Then, when they do that, they find themselves penalized by being behind people who didn't follow those rules. 

It's about equality of opportunity.  There's no guarantee that anyone will be in the very front when they buy their ticket, but everyone should have the same opportunity to try.  When some people break the rules and start their own system that goes against those rules, it places those who did follow the rules at a disadvantage, and that's not fair.

• Like 2
  • Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My experience from the 2015 and 2017 tours is that a select few fans manipulated the system to allow themselves prime positions in line without actually having to wait in line, going against previousl

Even though you "politely" pass people who have been waiting for hours, this pretty much makes you a dick.

I think it's fair to say that some people see the fan run queues as being 'cliques' that have a perception of being unfair.  Not everyone knows how to join the fan run queues or has the desire or incl

Posted Images

• Subscriber

Just in case Mr. Oseary is looking for info on GA concerns, I'm reposting my thread from the Tulsa thread.

Just home from Tulsa and scanning the comments about the GA Line and the show, so I'll throw in my 2 cents worth.  For perspective, I've done GA for at least some shows for every tour starting with Elevation, with the exception of JT. I was part of the "un-numbered".  The line leaders refused to do  anymore numbering after the line moved from across the street to BOK.  I've never encountered this before, early morning, day of the show  I've always been able to get a number when I showed up in the morning.  I guess that they just couldn't be bothered - follow their rules or be screwed.  Everyone that showed up at 5 was renumbered and the last number given out was about #199 - apparently, quite a few of us didn't show up at 5.  So, at 6:30 AM,   I was about 5 people behind the last "officially numbered person -  # 199.  Not too bad.  We were supposed to self-police, and stay there except for short bathroom breaks and food, but of course, lots of people left for long periods of time, so there were large gaps in the line.  By the time the BOK staff made us put chairs away and tightened up the line around 5, it appeared that there were many more than 200 people in front of me - I saw some people with sharpies - I think some people made up their own numbers.

About 10 people behind us in the line - they got there around 8AM, there was a couple that we were concerned about.  The woman was in a wheelchair and her companion kept attending to her - we wondered why they would do GA.  Well, we found out later, when a man and his young son suddenly appeared in line that the man had paid this homeless couple to stay in line for him all day - probably about 8 hours.  Really awful what some people will do for GA.  By the time the doors opened, I had resigned myself to not getting a rail position - 12 hours wasted.  We did end up with one of the last rail positions - on the catwalk, which is a great location - you can see something of both stages and the band often stops in front of you.   But then we found out the couple next to us showed up at 5:30 pm, went in another entrance when the doors opened!  BOK Center doesn't win any kudos from me for GA line management.  

So I see Guy Oseary walking by and I called out to him.  He did stop to talk and I asked him if U2 would consider taking over the GA line.  He seemed surprised that it was an issue - obviously, he doesn't read these boards or get any feedback - so I'm sure I'm wasting my time with this post.    I mentioned some concerns and gave examples of how U2 did Vertigo with a lottery  and suggested something like the Bruce Springsteen method.  He said that he'd look into it.  I could tell that he didn't consider it to be a big issue, but then again - it's U2's opening night and he had plenty of other things on his mind.  I appreciate that he did take the time to stop. 

My beef is - as so many others have expressed - is that the current system favors fans who have plenty of time to kill - either they don't work and/or can afford to travel and stay in town for several days before a show.  They set the rules and it differs for each venue.  To be fair, I did find the "rules" on Facebook, but they weren't posted on the main U2 fan sites.  The sign in book started on Friday - 5 days before the show!  The less obsessive fan thinks that the info provided by the venue is the rule, but the venues almost always cave.   I'd just love a system that gives everyone a fair shot at the position that they want.  Or at least for the fan run lines to have consistent rules from venue to venue.

I've got 2 more shows to do - one in Red Zone and another GA.  I've had my rail experience and next time will hang back so that I can see the screen.  

• Upvote 2
  • Subscriber

I was never able to do GA until I saw Dawes at The Barrymore Theatre in Madison, WI.  That was the Winter of 2016/2017.  I've now done GA a dozen times or more for Dawes and many times for The Head and the Heart.  Those are smaller venues.  GA is awesome.  The only reason I like being on the rail is because I can watch the musicianship; right or left hand of Taylor Goldmsith or the drummers or whatever.  I usually give up my place on the rail to ladies who are shorter and cannot see over others. I am tall so I can still see.  I don't understand the need to be right on the rail unless it's the only way a person can see.  Three or four people behind is just as awesome.  For me, the sound is better as it has room to mix.  I really notice that.  

3 hours ago, peggytwoten said:

So I see Guy Oseary walking by and I called out to him.  He did stop to talk and I asked him if U2 would consider taking over the GA line.  He seemed surprised that it was an issue - obviously, he doesn't read these boards or get any feedback - so I'm sure I'm wasting my time with this post.    I mentioned some concerns and gave examples of how U2 did Vertigo with a lottery  and suggested something like the Bruce Springsteen method.  He said that he'd look into it.  I could tell that he didn't consider it to be a big issue, but then again - it's U2's opening night and he had plenty of other things on his mind.  I appreciate that he did take the time to stop. 

I was glad to read this.  I imagine it was a very busy evening with opening night or any night in a new venue as different challenges are faced.  However, at least he has been told. Thank you very much.  He could come up and say hi to me and I wouldn't know who he was.  I have no idea what he looks like.  It's nice to know one person talked to him.  Hopefully more will.  No offense to anyone but do people honestly think that Adam and Larry and Bono and The Edge said, "Let's send pizza and popsicles out to the people who skipped in front of the GA line but only to those people and not the ones who abided by the rules."?    That makes no sense.  I'm wondering if stories are being told and retold and getting more elaborate in the process.  Pizza and Popsicles?  That sounds like a song that could have been penned by The Stereophonics.  haha.

• Subscriber

Well after reading all this I am really hoping and PRAYING that the LA Forum does the EXACT same thing they did for the 2015 shows! Get there at the time they stated in the email, ( I'm sure that there was a list and people waiting all night long) but I got there soon after 8 in the morning, did have to write my name in the notebook and get a number, but soon afterwards they gave us the wristbands and said we were good to go. Just come back at 4pm and get in line based on your number. It was very organized and super fast. Gosh am I praying for that to happen!! If not Ugh!! Only because my friend wants to do this all day thing would I deal with this crap. ?

• Subscriber

I was bummed I never was chosen to be in the circle or the heart during Elevation and Vertigo tours - I like the freedom of the current GA system in that there’s no system. 

Without waiting in lines I managed:

I+e tour I was five deep from rail all shows at most

JT anniversary shows I was on the far left rail next to Red Zone (Edge side) - at one of the Rose Bowl shows some guy in red zone with extra wristbands walked up and gave them to us so we were lucky enough to spend most of that show in RZ

e+i shows so far in both Tulsa and St  Louis - we got in line at 6 and were 1 deep from rail mid screen and e stage respectively  in St. Louis all of the waiters had already been let in so we literally walked in at 6 and grabbed our spot  

All this to say: if you want to start writing numbers on your hands now and keep track via a notebook for a future show good on you but I still managed to have dinner/drinks, arrive at 6 doors and get great spots :) Don’t stress about this people, I’m telling you. I don’t want to go back to random entry GA positions - I had the worst views for Vertigo tour, that heart just pushed everyone back. This long stage, that you can move around as the show goes, makes for great sightlines no matter where you stand. ? 

• Like 2
  • Subscriber
3 hours ago, Isas99 said:

Well after reading all this I am really hoping and PRAYING that the LA Forum does the EXACT same thing they did for the 2015 shows! Get there at the time they stated in the email, ( I'm sure that there was a list and people waiting all night long) but I got there soon after 8 in the morning, did have to write my name in the notebook and get a number, but soon afterwards they gave us the wristbands and said we were good to go. Just come back at 4pm and get in line based on your number. It was very organized and super fast. Gosh am I praying for that to happen!! If not Ugh!! Only because my friend wants to do this all day thing would I deal with this crap. ?

If your name was put in a notebook and you had a number put on your hand, that was the fan-run lineup.  The venues always end up endorsing the fan-run line.  It’s been that way for some time now and it’s highly unlikely that it will change on this tour.

• Subscriber
3 hours ago, Isas99 said:

Agree. That was smooth. I did GA the first 2 days and it was the best GA ever for me. Hopefully this time goes the same since I am bringing my 10yro kid and he would not do a 12 hr line and also we are driving from Tijuana, Mx early morning.

• Subscriber
On 5/2/2018 at 10:28 AM, ramsatw said:

That whole scene just sounds really stressful.

Happy to have seats for our shows. We'll go out to dinner, have 2 or 7 drinks, walk over to the venue. Easy Peasy.

2 or 7, lol.