Sign in to follow this  
pop1

Please Change The Set List U2 Shows Are Very Boring

1 hour ago, jonherz said:

This is their WORST TOUR IN HISTORY!!! Stay away. Don't waste your time and money. Saw it in LA and it was HORRIBLE. Left with 3 songs to go, and really should have just stayed home.

To each his own.  I was excited as always to see U2 being U2, in the moment, not living in the past.  The first part of the set is packed with excellent songs that tell a story.  The second half could be stronger, as I've suggested, but it was still great to be in attendance.  If you think that it was "horrible", then our tastes are not residing on the same planet, and that's OK.  I would tell people to definitely see the show, if you like U2 to begin with.  This is not some retro act.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Rich T. said:

I don't get it.  Is that supposed to mean that U2 has "entitlement issues", or is there something about that link that means anything?

The way I figure it, U2 is making a bad assumption, namely that very few of the same people are going to go to both nights' shows in a city, and that therefore they want to make sure that the people who only go one night get to the see the show they wish to deliver.   But in reality, a big chunk of their fanbase attends multiple shows (no, I don't have any data on that, just anecdotal evidence).

No - I'm saying that many here have entitlement issues.

I opined more on this in the SOE thread, so I won't repeat it here.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, BVB65 said:

I personally would love to see them drop all the songs they played last year on the JT 2017 Tour, with the exception of You're The best Thing About Me and The Little Things That take you Away. This is the Experience and Innocence Tour. The Songs from those albums should take center stage. I love the fact that they are finally playing Acrobat live. But I am going to miss Every Breaking Wave and Song for Someone when the tour finally reaches NYC. Plus, what about adding Summer of Love and Landlady to the set list.

This is my ideal Set List:

MAIN SET - 1) Love Is All We Have Left 2) The Blackout 3) Light of Home 4) I Will Follow 5) Gloria 6) Red Flag Day 7) The Ocean ? Iris 9) Cedarwood Road 10) Song For Someone 11) Love and Peace 12) Raised by Wolves 13) Until the End of The World

SECOND SET - 1) Mofo 2) Desire 3) The Showman 4) Acrobat 5) You're The Best thing About Me 6) Every Breaking Wave or Summer of Love (These two songs could be substituted and rotated into the set each night.) 7) Please ? Get Out of Your Own Way 9) American Soul 10) City of Blinding Lights

ENCORE - 1) Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses 2) One (If this has to be the song to highlight the Women of the World segment. I am personally get tired of this song, as it is played to death. Night after night on every tour.) 3) The Little Things that Give You Away 4) The Troubles 5) Love is Bigger Than Anything In Its Way 6) 13 (There Is A Light)

I know this is asking for a lot and it seems the band isn't going to play a 29 song set, as it looks as thought the settled into a 24 song set at this point. But with the exception of One, they should play stuff rarely heard and highlight the Innocence and Experience albums. Screw the visual imagery and play the songs. If the visual imagery is so  important to the narrative, make sure you have something to accompany any song in order to shake things up and keep the fans excited.

Goes to show you that we all have our personal preferences.  As I did, you also kept the first part of the set list pretty much intact, and reconfigured the second part.

FWIW, I never liked "Love and Peace" too much, and "Song for Someone" is redundant given the way they perform "13" at the end.  Mofo is good, whereas I'm not a huge fan of either Desire or American Soul.  I don't need "One" anymore, and "The Troubles" is a better album song than live song.

1 minute ago, dmway said:

No - I'm saying that many here have entitlement issues.

I opined more on this in the SOE thread, so I won't repeat it here.

Ah, OK.   I don't know about "entitlement issues", but I don't share the opinion of some fans that U2 "owes" them the catalogue of hits.  I prefer to see new songs plus "album track" songs, as they are largely doing.  I'll check out your comment on the other thread.

1 hour ago, Manohlive said:

Worst tour in history.  I thought that one belonged to Rick Wakeman doing King Arthur on Ice or whatever it was.  I'm kidding but serious at the same time.  The set list is what it is.  Either one can go to the show and realize that they still sound as awesome as ever or one can be bummed about the setlist while not considering that 15,000 or more want to hear the stuff we are now tired of hearing.  If anyone left before the last three songs then that person missed one of the best moments in their touring history.  Love is Bigger and 13 are absolutely spectacular live.  I also thought that Edge sounded especially good playing One this time around. The end was great.  I'd prefer they skpped One and played something else. I was surprised how good it sounded.  I was not fond of it for the TJT30 but that was a different show/ venue.

This all being said-I'd love to hear Electrical Storm and Wild Horses and Little Things and 11 O' Clock and such.  I'd also love it if they did Elvis Ate America.  It's fun to dream or call it a selfish setlist.(I like that)  It's silly to go after them because those who can afford to traverse the world don't like what they are playing-even if that someone was me.  It's even sillier to think they'd change the setlist because I did.

good comment

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Rich T. said:

Ah, OK.   I don't know about "entitlement issues", but I don't share the opinion of some fans that U2 "owes" them the catalogue of hits.  I prefer to see new songs plus "album track" songs, as they are largely doing.  I'll check out your comment on the other thread.

That's good to hear.

There have been a lot of whiney complaints recently about the set - it got to the point where I (and the person I quoted) reached a breaking point.

Edited by dmway

3 minutes ago, dmway said:

That's good to hear.

There have been a lot whiney complaints recently about the set - it got to the point where I (and the person I quoted) reached a breaking point.

Yeah.  Sometimes we forget that some U2 "fans" are merely people who enjoyed their big hits the 80s and early 90s, and want that to be the show.  They should have gone to the JT Tour last year, and would have gotten exactly what they wanted.  This year U2 is back to being U2 in the moment, which is their way.  I liked the show in San Jose so much that I couldn't get enough, and went to Vegas to get my fill.  Probably will do one in Europe in October if I can put it together as part of a trip I'm planning.

Edited by Rich T.
  • Like 1
  • Brilliant 2

I love U2, but most bands operate this way and they have a history of doing this at least the last few tours, not sure how long before that. I don't understand why you would buy tix to two shows and then complain about it. Probably my favorite live act is Pearl Jam, who always shake up the set list and make every show pretty unique. It is awesome but also makes it a little harder to score tickets when they have multiple shows in the same city. I also have respect for an act like U2 who go the other way. They have a huge demand for their tickets and if people know that the setlist is basically the same, it reduces the demand which is good for the average fan who doesn't want pay excessive price to get tickets.

I am seeing only 2 shows on this tour and they will probably be identical songs played...sigh I heard they sound checked Stuck In A Moment in Nashville the other day. For the love of God please don't play that song in Montreal because you will seriously put the audience to sleep with it. The only solution to this setlist problem is bring back Bad/All I Want Is You sequing into Streets. Also bring back Wild Horses and The Fly and Mysterious Ways. Get rid of I Will Follow, Pride and Sunday Bloody Sunday acoustic is terrible anyway. 

Edited by pop1

How could they do this show and be changing up many of the numbers?  There's only a couple places where they can change songs. The production is dependent on the choreography. (please-no more falls for anyone)  The songs and all else is needed to tell the story in this show. They are making a major political statement. It also wraps up the SOI show.  I think they did a spectacular job of it all.  I'm saying this because the set list is the major component, whether we like it or not. They even summed up the show and both tours with the songs at the end.  My only suggestion would be to make the E stage less cluttered for those on the opposite end of the venue. There was a curtain or something that visually divided the band. I was very impressed with how they played to people sitting behind the main stage. There are key moments in the songs/show where one of them is facing those in the back. Everyone cheered and things amped up even more. I don't think there is much room to tinker with this setlist without the show suffering as a whole.

Edited by Manohlive
  • Like 2
  • Brilliant 1