Sign in to follow this  
pop1

Please Change The Set List U2 Shows Are Very Boring

16 hours ago, kitemaster said:

Well they played the same setlist 4 nights in a row in Brazil on the Joshua Tree Tour so don't expect them to change. Even on the last night of the tour it was the same identical setlist. I had friends that spent a lot of money to travel there and who bought tickets for all 4 shows. Can you imagine hearing the same songs 4 nights in a row ? I guess U2 thought the people in Brazil don't have enough money to attend all 4 shows. They are getting old and stuck in their ways I guess or maybe are still just doing it for the $. Sad really for the prices they charge and for the fans that travel around to see them.

Well of course they played the same setlist for 4 nights - it was a TJT tour so that’s what it was.  As someone else pointed out, a lot of the lighting/setting/video etc is timed for the songs - that’s part of the show.  No way are they just doing this for the cash - can you imagine them thinking - ‘yeah let’s retire now we’re not bothered about our music anymore’ or ‘I think we are a bit skint, let’s make an album and go on tour’.  Imagine doing something you love, creating new relevant music and the buzz of performing live for decades - they are sure to still get high in it.  Stuck in their ways?  I’m amazed at that comment and respectfully disagree.  They only get one chance to tour SofE sand the screen and graphics make it the show it is.  I think we all go multiple nights because we want to experience it again and again even if it’s the same.  There’s always something you notice more or less from one night to the next and the different people and perspectives mix it up a bit. . I’m going to 4 shows in Europe - 2 seated which are both close up but at each end of the arena (so I’ll get both main stage and small stage experiences) - when I’m in my seat I’m going to be sure to check out the best place to stand for me so that when my 3rd show comes about, I will have seen it twice already so can go for closer up.  I finish it with a redzone so I hope I can stroll in and have a beer and take it all in from that side of the floor without any panic or nervous anticipation or worry about what I will see/won’t see - (that’s also why I go multiple times - to have a stress free experience after all the pre-sale, anticipation, drama, nervous anticipation etc!).  I don’t mind if they don’t change a thing -  Setlist looks great to me.  I will be disappointed if they don’t play Red flag day but I’ll have a ball regardless.  I’m very excited about it and am not looking too much at anything so I can have lots of glorious surprises for my first show in Copenhagen.

• Like 3
  • Brilliant 2

22 hours ago, jonherz said:

This is their WORST TOUR IN HISTORY!!! Stay away. Don't waste your time and money. Saw it in LA and it was HORRIBLE. Left with 3 songs to go, and really should have just stayed home.

While I respect your opinion, I must wholeheartedly disagree. I attended LA1 and was very pleased we had Red Flag Day and Gloria in the set list. That’s not even mentioning getting Acrobat and SATS. Plus I like the new songs but miss Landlady and Little Things.  I thought it was a great show. 

• Like 1
  • Brilliant 1

On 5/24/2018 at 7:26 PM, pop1 said:

Why not play Song for Someone, Land Lady and Little Things (the only 2 good songs on the new album in my opinion).

It's a tour concept based on the new album.

Maybe you are looking for something else, like a greatest hits tour Rolling Stones' style...

20 hours ago, Heather S said:

Well of course they played the same setlist for 4 nights - it was a TJT tour so that’s what it was.  As someone else pointed out, a lot of the lighting/setting/video etc is timed for the songs - that’s part of the show.  No way are they just doing this for the cash - can you imagine them thinking - ‘yeah let’s retire now we’re not bothered about our music anymore’ or ‘I think we are a bit skint, let’s make an album and go on tour’.  Imagine doing something you love, creating new relevant music and the buzz of performing live for decades - they are sure to still get high in it.  Stuck in their ways?  I’m amazed at that comment and respectfully disagree.  They only get one chance to tour SofE sand the screen and graphics make it the show it is.  I think we all go multiple nights because we want to experience it again and again even if it’s the same.  There’s always something you notice more or less from one night to the next and the different people and perspectives mix it up a bit. . I’m going to 4 shows in Europe - 2 seated which are both close up but at each end of the arena (so I’ll get both main stage and small stage experiences) - when I’m in my seat I’m going to be sure to check out the best place to stand for me so that when my 3rd show comes about, I will have seen it twice already so can go for closer up.  I finish it with a redzone so I hope I can stroll in and have a beer and take it all in from that side of the floor without any panic or nervous anticipation or worry about what I will see/won’t see - (that’s also why I go multiple times - to have a stress free experience after all the pre-sale, anticipation, drama, nervous anticipation etc!).  I don’t mind if they don’t change a thing -  Setlist looks great to me.  I will be disappointed if they don’t play Red flag day but I’ll have a ball regardless.  I’m very excited about it and am not looking too much at anything so I can have lots of glorious surprises for my first show in Copenhagen.

Totally agree with you (I'm going to see 10 shows, unfortunately didn't find tiks for Copenhagen)

5 hours ago, beppecuoco said:

Totally agree with you (I'm going to see 10 shows, unfortunately didn't find tiks for Copenhagen)

10!!!!! Oh my - lucky you.  Every time they tour I think.....well, what if it’s their last tour.  I never tire of it.  Enjoy it - you’ll be so chilled by the last one.

On 5/27/2018 at 5:26 PM, Rich T. said:

Yeah.  Sometimes we forget that some U2 "fans" are merely people who enjoyed their big hits the 80s and early 90s, and want that to be the show.  They should have gone to the JT Tour last year, and would have gotten exactly what they wanted.  This year U2 is back to being U2 in the moment, which is their way.  I liked the show in San Jose so much that I couldn't get enough, and went to Vegas to get my fill.  Probably will do one in Europe in October if I can put it together as part of a trip I'm planning.

I too liked both shows in SJ. Funny, I was thinking about trying to catch a show in Europe this fall. I've never seen them outside the States and it is on my my bucket list. I just have no idea how to do it. I'll be traveling to Ireland, France and Italy. I'd love to get tickets, but think I'll have to buy them from resellers. Unless there is another way.

A U2 concert is more like going to a play. It's going to be more or less the same because they're telling a specific story. It's not a jam session where they play whatever strikes their fancy at the moment. Changes to the setlist happen slowly and methodically. It's perfectly legitimate to not like it, but don't fault the band for being what/who they've always (or at least since the 90s) been. 

• Like 1

U2 have been playing fairly standard, non-rotating setlists since 1978. 

Apart from Lovetown, every tour has followed a basic format cemented early in the tour where about 85-90% of the set is the same every night.  

Everyone is entitled to their opinion but :

1) The vast majority of people do only go to one show per tour 

AND 

2) Now that I have seen the show I get it more than before. More than ever before this show is about telling a story, and they happen to have landed on a set that does a phenomenal job of telling said story. 

I'm sure there will still be some minor tweaks along the way though. 

• Like 1