Sign in to follow this  
pop1

Please Change The Set List U2 Shows Are Very Boring

4 hours ago, Daviesweeten said:

On a slightly different point, we all know about 'autotune', that doesn't bother me but why is Bono opening the show singing over a backing track? Baffles me.

That's the first thing I was yelling within seconds of last Thursdays show.  Glad I'm not the only one..Its perfected so artificially on the CD that it likely just didnt sound right with his voice alone, even with the autotune...I don't know, I really wasn't blown away with the beginning, until the black out finally kicks in.

8 hours ago, Daviesweeten said:

On a slightly different point, we all know about 'autotune', that doesn't bother me but why is Bono opening the show singing over a backing track? Baffles me.

3 hours ago, smsully said:

That's the first thing I was yelling within seconds of last Thursdays show.  Glad I'm not the only one..Its perfected so artificially on the CD that it likely just didnt sound right with his voice alone, even with the autotune...I don't know, I really wasn't blown away with the beginning, until the black out finally kicks in.

8 hours ago, mich40 said:

I could be wrong, but I think it’s part of the story of the show. Like he’s there but not really. Makes sense if you look at his automated moves with it. It’s him right before “The Blackout”.

I think that Mich is on-point here. I think I can add a little bit more too.

Think of the visual effect on display while he’s performing the song too. It gives the impression like he’s in outer space, almost walking on the stars.

The use of auto-tune here (both on the studio track and the live performance) is not to cover up deficiencies as it is with a few weaker singers out there. It was used to have the synthetic “space-communication” sound - that unusual semi-staticky, voice-from-beyond tone that conversations between NASA and astronauts have.

Like Mich said, I think the effect that he is there-and-not at the same time is intentional. The auto-tune sound is kept to bolster that illusion.

As I kept listening to SOE over the months before the tour, I suspected that they would begin the shows with “Love Is All We Have Left” and continue into “Lights Of Home” - they sounded just right for the start of a show. The reason he sings to the backing track instead of singing a capella is most likely one of practicalities - it’s the first song of the show. Once everyone sees Bono, the crowd will become deafening. If it’s just him versus the crowd in terms of volume, I’d put my money on the crowd being louder. Keeping the backing track makes the fight fairer.

I think a bit more substantive thing to ponder is why insert “The Blackout” in between the two. That was done by design, as were the accompanying graphic visuals and audio bits for that part of the set. Further, the first three songs live, and ending the shows with the last two songs in order, IMHO, define SOE and the e&i show in summary form.

So, to answer more directly, Bono sings to the backing track with the auto-tune by design (both in the studio and live) because that was the exact effect that they wanted.

• Upvote 1
  • Brilliant 1

9 hours ago, dmway said:

The use of auto-tune here

a detail that may make the whole difference: it's not autotuned - it's a vocoder...

• Like 1

15 hours ago, dmway said:

I think that Mich is on-point here. I think I can add a little bit more too.

Think of the visual effect on display while he’s performing the song too. It gives the impression like he’s in outer space, almost walking on the stars.

The use of auto-tune here (both on the studio track and the live performance) is not to cover up deficiencies as it is with a few weaker singers out there. It was used to have the synthetic “space-communication” sound - that unusual semi-staticky, voice-from-beyond tone that conversations between NASA and astronauts have.

Like Mich said, I think the effect that he is there-and-not at the same time is intentional. The auto-tune sound is kept to bolster that illusion.

As I kept listening to SOE over the months before the tour, I suspected that they would begin the shows with “Love Is All We Have Left” and continue into “Lights Of Home” - they sounded just right for the start of a show. The reason he sings to the backing track instead of singing a capella is most likely one of practicalities - it’s the first song of the show. Once everyone sees Bono, the crowd will become deafening. If it’s just him versus the crowd in terms of volume, I’d put my money on the crowd being louder. Keeping the backing track makes the fight fairer.

I think a bit more substantive thing to ponder is why insert “The Blackout” in between the two. That was done by design, as were the accompanying graphic visuals and audio bits for that part of the set. Further, the first three songs live, and ending the shows with the last two songs in order, IMHO, define SOE and the e&i show in summary form.

So, to answer more directly, Bono sings to the backing track with the auto-tune by design (both in the studio and live) because that was the exact effect that they wanted.

Thanks, buddy. Makes sense. I must admit I'm not too impressed with the opening tbh. I think Bono coming onstage at the Innocence tour was class! 'People Have the Power' over the PA.....Opposite end from the band....straight into 'oh, ohohoh'. That was special. I know this works in with the whole 'experience' thing. I'll love it when I'm there.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Max Tsukino said:

a detail that may make the whole difference: it's not autotuned - it's a vocoder...

What's that Max? Sorry for the ignorance.

Before I saw the Chicago shows, I bitched about songs included and excluded. I whined about acoustic vs electric. I even bitched about Sirius radio. It was not about radio or money., as it was a special U2 show. It took a while before I understood that.  I like U2 not playing Streets this tour.  I understand why many do not. (seems a good song to use as an example)  There's a point in Streets, when I see them live, which gets me higher than I've ever been. There is nothing like it until I saw Pride this tour.  It's the song I least wanted yet most enjoyed.. I see how others could and will. miss Streets. I agree that is too bad they can't do one show one night and another the next. It would be awesome if they could do shows for Zootopia.   I would pick the show as it is for every show this tour but I still want the B-sides too.  We all seem to agree no matter what they do, there's something else.  It's nice we can come in here voicing our differing opinions without fearing exclusion or reprisal or condemnation.. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Manohlive said:

Before I saw the Chicago shows, I bitched about songs included and excluded. I whined about acoustic vs electric. I even bitched about Sirius radio. It was not about radio or money., as it was a special U2 show. It took a while before I understood that.  I like U2 not playing Streets this tour.  I understand why many do not. (seems a good song to use as an example)  There's a point in Streets, when I see them live, which gets me higher than I've ever been. There is nothing like it until I saw Pride this tour.  It's the song I least wanted yet most enjoyed.. I see how others could and will. miss Streets. I agree that is too bad they can't do one show one night and another the next. It would be awesome if they could do shows for Zootopia.   I would pick the show as it is for every show this tour but I still want the B-sides too.  We all seem to agree no matter what they do, there's something else.  It's nice we can come in here voicing our differing opinions without fearing exclusion or reprisal or condemnation.. 

Amen.

3 hours ago, Daviesweeten said:

What's that Max? Sorry for the ignorance.

I asked Mick James, a zootopian who knows a lot about this... basically (and quoting him):

As it’s used in that example [Love Is All We Have Left], it’s a vocoder - where the vocal is modulated by a synthesiser “carrier” (the note that it modulates the vocal to)

Now Auto-tune is in fact a vocoder, however it’s doesn’t modulate the voice to the “carrier/synthesiser” but rather is designed simply to force the note to where you want it while still keeping at “natural” sound.

Some great examples you’d know are Kraftwerk “Neon Lights” or “Man-Machine”, Daft Punk “Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger” and “Robot Rock”.

(..) A vocoder is a specific effect: you pass the signal through a multi-band filter, each band to an envelope follower, and then the output from the envelope follower is used to perform filter control and additional synthesis. ... Where as "autotune" is really more a process and it may employ a vocoder to that end.

in the case of the song in question, the effect is used as... well, as an effect rather than as a way to help/"enhance" the voice, this being the main autotune purpose...

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Max Tsukino said:

Believe it or not, I did know that. I was quoting what was used earlier.

I should have brought up my example of Cher instead. ?

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Daviesweeten said:

Thanks, buddy. Makes sense. I must admit I'm not too impressed with the opening tbh. I think Bono coming onstage at the Innocence tour was class! 'People Have the Power' over the PA.....Opposite end from the band....straight into 'oh, ohohoh'. That was special. I know this works in with the whole 'experience' thing. I'll love it when I'm there.

That was very good too.

But this opening works too - just in a different way.

You will love it when you are there. ?