dmway

What concert are you seeing next?

It’s not a concert per se, and I have already seen it, BUT it could be a future music-related for you if you are ever in the NYC/NJ/Philadelphia region at anytime between now and Sept. 17 and you are a fan of Bruce Springsteen.

There is a special display at the Monmouth County Historical Association in Freehold, NJ (Bruce’s hometown) commemorating his entire career called (appropriately) “Springsteen: His Hometown”. It's at 70 Court Street in Freehold.

It was very well done! I was so moved by it that it got me really into Bruce again. I was always a bit of a “closet fan” of Bruce, but this display had me finally own up to the fact that I actually like his music very much (at least from the start of his career (1973) up to and including the “Tunnel of Love” album and its subsequent tour (1987-88)).

I’ll share some photos and links from the display next.

Edited by dmway
  • Like 2

D0D30B66-7EF7-4669-A97D-560B7C685B62.jpeg

6B4356FF-A52C-49F4-AC96-6A5247DB1A3B.jpeg

2CA00193-28E8-43BC-9D43-943A399D7D26.jpeg

B2B8F764-D040-4905-A460-322EB85482F1.jpeg

986670AD-E9B9-49C7-8DAA-F3CC2DA4D8A3.jpeg

Edited by dmway
  • Like 3

The first five pictures above are the brochure and t-shirt from the display. The schedule is on the pages showing the events through September.

The next three pictures show the front of the brochure of the "Bruce Springsteen Archives & Center for American Music", the back of the same brochure with a "Stick Bruce" you can find scattered all around the "Springsteen: His Hometown" display. There are 10 of them. If you take a selfie of all 10 and then show the people at the counter, you can get one of three gifts - I chose this nice lithograph.

You can visit the Bruce Archives at Monmouth University yourself (we didn't - we didn't have the time) - you just need to make an appointment in advance. Appropriate info at their website:

http://www.monmouth.edu/bruce

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

47 minutes ago, dmway said:

I actually like his music very much (at least from the start of his career (1973) up to and including the “Tunnel of Love” album and its subsequent tour (1987-88))

Huge Bruce fan here.  He's a part of every stage of my teens and adult life.  Tunnel of Love-Tougher Than the Rest is probably my favorite Bruce song. (that would need to change next time I had to choose)  The Tunnel of Love tour was fantastic. He's put out a lot of good music since 2000.  Magic is a lost gem, if you have not heard it. So is High Hopes and Wrecking Ball.  (just fyi in case you may not have heard them)  

He stongly hinted there is a new Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band album coming out this year.  He had already written it, when he said this.  That was months ago. He also stated there was going to be a tour this year.  I like corny jokes and this is true:  I'd drive all night just to buy the tshirts in the pics you posted.  I look forward to saying Bruce and E Street will be my next concert.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Manohlive said:

Huge Bruce fan here.  He's a part of every stage of my teens and adult life.  Tunnel of Love-Tougher Than the Rest is probably my favorite Bruce song. (that would need to change next time I had to choose)  The Tunnel of Love tour was fantastic. He's put out a lot of good music since 2000.  Magic is a lost gem, if you have not heard it. So is High Hopes and Wrecking Ball.  (just fyi in case you may not have heard them)  

He stongly hinted there is a new Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band album coming out this year.  He had already written it, when he said this.  That was months ago. He also stated there was going to be a tour this year.  I like corny jokes and this is true:  I'd drive all night just to buy the tshirts in the pics you posted.  I look forward to saying Bruce and E Street will be my next concert.

I always regretted missing the "Tunnel of Love" tour - it's the one tour of his I did want to see while it was occurring. The massive hype over the "Born In The U.S.A." album and tour put me off wanting to see him on that tour (but I'm not denigrating the album - it's great too). "Tunnel Of Love" is kind of a hidden gem of his - IMHO, it's his 80s version of "Darkness On The Edge Of Town". Great album. I am catching up on live Bruce from his website. I just got and finished listening to his New Year's Eve concert on Long Island from "The River" tour - absolutely phenomenal! The show must have ended after 1 a.m.! Different times...

My fondness of this show led me to get two more: the finale of the "Darkness On The Edge Of Town" tour from San Francisco and the "Tunnel Of Love" tour show from Stockholm, Sweden. I can't wait to hear them. (I'm also hoping that U2 will use the nugs.net site (or another equivalent one) to make some of their shows available someday too.)

I also have to credit last year's film "Blinded By The Light" for our wanting to do a "Bruce run" when we were visiting NJ over her time vacationing here. I used to teach in Monmouth County, so I knew that whole area of NJ very well. So, in addition to visiting the display at the historical society, we found two of Bruce's childhood homes in Freehold (I'd post the pictures, but the weird photo rotation is still occurring when the pictures are resized), we went to Asbury Park to visit "The Stone Pony", the club where Bruce became famous locally before becoming big in the clubs in NYC (I may be able to post a photo of it later), and we visited Red Bank and Middletown (great local towns in Monmouth County; Bruce used to sometimes shop at the Whole Foods Market in Middletown - he may still; I don't know - he lived in nearby Rumson and now lives in another local town called Colts Neck - we drove through Colts Neck on our way back to Middletown - VERY impressive horse farms and large mansions there; one of them may very well have been his).

Well, I'm rambling now. In short, if you are a Bruce fan, this display (and the the whole area, really) is for you.

More pictures if I can get them uploaded properly.

Edited by dmway
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, dmway said:

The River" tour

Hellacious drive into Chicago.  (The last tour-when they did the full album)   I'm very excited.  I get to the ticket window, knowing I have a great seat.  He gives me a sad look.  "Umm.  David....Bruce was last night. It's crowded because there's a Bulls game.tonight."  My heart sank. Almost a year later, the tour comes to Mlwaukee.  I get an accessible seat because I could not do normal ones at the time.  It turns out to be a regualr seat, in the middle of a very drunk group that was all together. If I did not believe in God, several of them would have been thrown into the pit. (no pun intended)  One dude passses a drink across me and hits me in the stomach, exactly where a car had hit me several years earlier. I doubled over, went down and banged my freakin' head.  Lmao.  He sang all eight minutes of I Drove All Night to his wife, who was six seats down from me. (I am not exaggerating.) I had already guised begging as an offer to swiitch seats.  (several times). I finally lost it, looked at him and hissed, "You are the biggest ass $#%^ i have ever enocountered at a concert, which is sayng a lot because I seem to be a magnet for you dumb f#@$s".  I immediately feared I had just became the jerk, when I notice people, in the row in front of me, laughing and saying, "You're alright, dude."  . (probably not my exact wording but close)

Very off topic story - I'm aching for 2020 to be the year many of us can post that Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band is our next concert.  

Edited by Manohlive
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 12/26/2019 at 4:00 PM, dmway said:

Back on topic...

My next show is tomorrow night, the excellent Philadelphia-based Led Zeppelin tribute band, “Get The Led Out”. They are phenomenal! 😎

They go more for recreating the music exactly rather that going for the exact look of the band on-stage. Thus, there will be five guys playing at any given time, but all of the overdubs that Jimmy played on the albums are played live during the show 🎸.

A great evening of music coming!

It was really great! I hope to see them for at least one more time when I get to the USA again.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, andryu2 said:

It was really great! I hope to see them for at least one more time when I get to the USA again.

Well, if you’re here when they are playing locally, we will certainly go again. 😎

...and now I can make a more on-topic post for this thread as well because my next show (for the time being anyway) is “Get The Led Out” again in nearby Reading, PA. I’m happy that Reading is getting acts such as this; they should do very well there.

(Of course, I’m rooting for one more local UF show before I go on vacation.)

• Like 1