What concert are you seeing next?

dmway

• Subscriber

Going to watch Frank Turner do an acoustic livestream from his house tomorrow night. Last week he played his debut solo album in full to raise money for Nambucca, a really good small venue in London. Tomorrow night he's playing his second album in full to help out the Joiners in Southampton.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • Subscriber

Hey! This topic may become more active again! 😎

I am seeing The Musical Box (a Peter Gabriel-era Genesis tribute band) on the Saturday after Thanksgiving this year (i.e., November 27th), and I’m seeing Steve Hackett again (the classic guitarist from that same era of Genesis) in April 2022! 😊

However, my first show will be Unforgettable Fire (an outstanding U2 tribute band) again in August - I just haven’t gotten around to buying the ticket yet.

Concerts again! 😃

• Like 1
  • Brilliant 1

• Subscriber
Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, CorkVegan said:

@dmwaydid you pick up tickets for the Genesis tour? They are playing across the US just before Christmas.

Yes, I am (unfortunately) well-aware of this upcoming tour. I did try to get tickets for Philadelphia and NYC; however, when I witnessed the wallet-crushing prices for the tickets, I intentionally didn’t buy any. I’m not paying $500 (or more) to be close to the stage; I’m also not paying $150-$250 (even before the ridiculous added Ticketmaster fees) to get a mediocre-to-bad seat.

Thus, I gave the shows on sale so far a pass. I instead scratched my “Genesis-itch”, so to speak, with the two concerts I mentioned above. Steve Hackett only charged $85 for his ticket (and I’m in the 5th row of a relatively small theater); The Musical Box only charged $40 (3rd row at that show). Those are proper ticket prices.

Thank you for mentioning the tour, though. I’m just simply appalled by the so-called “dynamic pricing” for arena concerts for big-name acts now. I’ve decided not to participate in the madness. I’m also praying that U2 doesn’t succumb to this movement whenever their next arena tour is.

If Genesis adds a 2nd show in Philly, I will get a ticket for it. I’ll just buy the least expensive one I can. I may also get a ticket for the 2nd NYC show when they have their ticket dump for it closer to the day when it actually occurs. 

Ticketmaster has now ruined the joy of purchasing tickets for big acts on the first day of sale. “Come see a show by an act you like; however, be sure you have refinanced your house with a 2nd (or 3rd) mortgage so that you can pay for the evening’s entertainment” - this seems to be Ticketmaster’s modus operandi now…

Edited by dmway
  • Brilliant 1

• Subscriber

I've heard great things about The Musical Box@dmway. My gut feeling is that I'm going to be attending less concerts post covid. The dynamic pricing model is a tough pill to swallow.....

Me: How much are tickets?

TM: How much are you willing to pay?

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber
43 minutes ago, CorkVegan said:

I've heard great things about The Musical Box@dmway. My gut feeling is that I'm going to be attending less concerts post covid. The dynamic pricing model is a tough pill to swallow.....

Me: How much are tickets?

TM: How much are you willing to pay?

The Musical Box are great and are worth catching. You'll thank yourself for seeing them. 👍

Seconded on your assessment of TM - that is how they think now. It's atrocious supply-side economics on steroids...

• Brilliant 1
  • Upvote 1