What concert are you seeing next?

dmway

• Subscriber
Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, dmway said:

their ticket dump for it closer to the day when it actually occurs.

I can't tell you many times I got a great seat, or seats, by doing this.  It's how I got front row by the Edge for EI and only paid $106.  It's also how I got front row for Tina Turner, The Smashing Pumpkins and other shows. 

I have had tickets to Matchbox Twenty and The Wallflowers for quite some time now.  It was supposed to be last summer but got switched to August 2021.  That recently got changed to June 2022.  I don't care.  We've 7th row center seats on the aisle.  I'm not giving up that show.  Finally hearing Back 2 Good live again is necessary for my survival.

My next concert is Dawes - Sept 25, 2021,  in Grand Rapids, Michigan.  I am also going to see them in Indianapolis on Sept 28, along with three other dates in December.  Tickets were $32-40.  I still think they are the best deal in rock and roll.. There's a number of newer bands I love (The Head and the Heart, Young The Giant, Beth Hart, etc.) that tour consistently and it's $50 or less for a ticket.  I also found out that Dermot Kennedy is being rescheduled here. He's inexpensive to see.  I plan on hitting as many of these tours as possible.  Genesis asking $500 is absolutely ridiculous. I do not think people are gonna pay that, or I hope not.  We start doing it, that's the price we can be looking at even after social distancing.  I hope that tour bombs and blows up in the faces of everyone responsible for setting the price. No offense, dmway.  I don't want us paying that in the future.

Genesis tour: Better yet, I hope the producers get stuck, nobody buys seats and they have to lower prices. There's a win-win.  Let's go with that!   😎

Edited by Manohlive
  • Like 1

• Subscriber
Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, Manohlive said:

I can't tell you many times I got a great seat, or seats, by doing this.  It's how I got front row by the Edge for EI and only paid $106.  It's also how I got front row for Tina Turner, The Smashing Pumpkins and other shows. 

Genesis asking $500 is absolutely ridiculous. I do not think people are gonna pay that, or I hope not.  We start doing it, that's the price we can be looking at even after social distancing.  I hope that tour bombs and blows up in the faces of everyone responsible for setting the price. No offense, dmway.  I don't want us paying that in the future.

Genesis tour: Better yet, I hope the producers get stuck, nobody buys seats and they have to lower prices. There's a win-win.  Let's go with that!   😎

Well, it's a nice thing to hope for, but the reality unfortunately is the opposite: the tickets are selling like hotcakes. The Philadelphia date was completely sold out in one day (Genesis is absolutely huge here; 70s progressive rock in general is, but especially Yes and Genesis); NYC already has a 2nd show, but both shows are virtually sold out already too.

I got tickets I wanted for The Stones and The Who in the past that way too (i.e., days before/day of the show) - however, I very much resent having to shop for tickets that way as some kind of "new normal". You can luck out, but you can every bit as easily be shut out of a show that you would really want to see. It's a situation that none of us who enjoy live music should have to deal with.

I had hoped that ticket sellers would develop some semblance of a conscience as we emerge from the scourge of COVID; however, they are doing the complete opposite - i.e., doubling down on the awful template that was in place before the pandemic began. (I hope none of those reading this would attempt to argue that we should feel "sorry" for TM/LN/any other concert promoter because of money they lost because of the pandemic; they have been overly charging for tickets for years - I saw 2020, really, as karmic retribution for them.)

However, they are being extra evil now. People do want to go to shows again; however, promoters are financially taking advantage of us for it, effectively using our own fandom against us to our financial detriment. Yes, people en masse not going would be the way to combat it (and having the bands themselves actively come out against it - tragically, there are far too few Pearl Jams and Radioheads in that regard); however, there are lots and lots of concertgoers who, apparently, have more money than sense and/or don't mind running up the credit cards to pay reflexively for these grossly-overpriced tickets. You point out the danger correctly - if this trend continues, these ludicrous prices will be here to stay (if they aren't already). Beyond this tour, as I said in my last post, this trend gives me concerns regarding future arena tours for U2 - remember who represents them now, post-Paul McGuinness...

Well, I will do my best to get some kind of ticket for a 2nd show for Philly (I'm pretty sure there will be one). I'm just disgusted that TM/LM/etc. are compelling me to reexamine my preferences for leisure activities.

P.S. Update on Philadelphia: as expected, a second show has been added. I’ll be ready when the pre-sale begins for this one. 👍

Edited by dmway
  • Like 1
  • Brilliant 1

• Subscriber

This is the long list I've got lined up for the next year. 

Elbow at the Brighton Centre, 18 September with the family. Was meant to be in April last year for my brother's birthday but we all know what happened. 
Biffy Clyro at the Forum, London, 2 November. Was meant to be last month but got delayed given the timetable for restrictions being lifted. 
Kid Kapichi at Patterns, Brighton, 13 November. 5 days before my birthday! Was meant to be in March last year, then got rescheduled to March just gone, but again, pushed back by the timetable. 
Last week I bagged tickets for Royal Blood at the O2 London, for 30 March next year. This one probably (hopefully) won't need to be rescheduled! 
Everything Everything at the Brighton Dome, 12 April next year. This was meant to be last month, but I think you know how this goes by now...
Foals at the Olympia in London, 30 April. Was meant to be this month, but...I don't even have to say it! 

Looking forward to getting more booked in. There's a lot to catch up on!

• Like 1

• Subscriber
Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, dmway said:

TM

Ticketmaster is not the promoter, even though they are owned by Live Nation.  They deal with all the flack yet have nothing to do with prices.  Live Nation is part of who sets the price, however; so is the artist, unless Live Nation is the sole promoter.  It varies based on contractual agreements, etc. Generally, the artist is involved in setting ticket prices, or are at least aware and agrees to the price

Genesis booking that tour is roll of the dice.  We go back to say, 50% capacity, and they are looking at rescheduling or figuring out which 50% gets to see the show and which does not. 

Not all promoters are nasty.  I know of some who do it because they love music.  They bring great acts to my city and keep ticket prices as low as possible.  Sadly, these are not large rock concerts and those promoters are rare. 

Dawes lowered ticket prices a little. Even at the Ryman Auditorium in Nashville (the original Grand Ole Opry) tickets are $39-59, and it's reserved seating. If the artist wants to tour and make it affordable for the masses, they have the ability to do so but need to push back on prices.  In no way am I defending Live Nation but they are not the sole culprit in all of this.

I forgot to mention Leo Kottke and want to add Hamilton to my list of shows.

Mere conjecture: I doubt we will see U2 tour until at least 2022.  I also doubt they'd start charging $500 if they did tour. 

Edited by Manohlive

• Subscriber
Posted (edited)
On 5/9/2021 at 1:39 PM, dmway said:

I’m not paying $500 (or more) to be close to the stage

I checked Chicago and the United Center has Genesis for two nights.  Both are pretty much sold out. Despite this, half the tickets on the floor are available for resale and at least a third in the bowl are also available for verified resale on Ticketmaster. I've never scalping like that.

I found a 9th row single for Genesis at the UC in Chicago and it was $500 face value.  There was a pair a few seats over for the same price each.  Save those, everything else was verified resale. Best seats came up as costing close to four grand verified resale. That sucks. I know how much you love them.  I'm sorry.  Your posts got me thinking I'd like to see them and thought maybe just get a nose bleed to hear it live. They are $134.50 face value. They should be $30-$40, maybe $50 if lower in those sections. Two essentially sold out shows with multitudes of tickets being legally scalped up from grossly inflated prices.

Edited by Manohlive

• Subscriber

Well, “all’s well that ends well”, as the old expression goes…

I was able to get a ticket for the added Genesis show in Philadelphia. 👍 So, I will be able to say farewell to the band in person who is second only to U2 as most significant in my life.

Still, a couple of niggles though. 😄

These are mobile-only tickets. They are using the explanation that it’s for safety reasons (vis a vis, COVID); however, I sense that’s more rationalization than the whole truth. Ticketmaster (and others) need to realize that people still like physical tickets and that choice should always be an option, even if they are print-at-home tickets. I collect my ticket stubs and would like to keep collecting them. I guess I’ll have to figure out how to print the mobile ticket from my messages.

Also, while I got a ticket at a price I was (barely) willing to pay, I was properly annoyed at the $45 of “fees” that were added on after the fact - and that was just for a single ticket! That’s completely outrageous!

Well, I’ll be a little happier about this in December, I suppose.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • Subscriber
On 5/8/2021 at 11:50 PM, dmway said:

Hey! This topic may become more active again! 😎

I am seeing The Musical Box (a Peter Gabriel-era Genesis tribute band) on the Saturday after Thanksgiving this year (i.e., November 27th), and I’m seeing Steve Hackett again (the classic guitarist from that same era of Genesis) in April 2022! 😊

However, my first show will be Unforgettable Fire (an outstanding U2 tribute band) again in August - I just haven’t gotten around to buying the ticket yet.

Concerts again! 😃

I thought my first UF show would be an outdoor one in August; however, I didn’t care for how they were arranging the “seating”, as it were, for the August show. So, my first concert will (most likely) still be UF, but it will be an indoor show in mid-September instead - and I was fortunate enough to get a front-row center seat! 😎 (I usually see them in GA venues, but this show has seats; so, I got the best one I could.)

It will be as nice for me to see and hear them again as it will probably be for them to perform shows regularly again. Both performer and listener have been starved for music - time to make up for lost time! 👍

• Brilliant 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Subscriber
On 6/1/2021 at 6:22 PM, dmway said:

I thought my first UF show would be an outdoor one in August; however, I didn’t care for how they were arranging the “seating”, as it were, for the August show. So, my first concert will (most likely) still be UF, but it will be an indoor show in mid-September instead - and I was fortunate enough to get a front-row center seat! 😎 (I usually see them in GA venues, but this show has seats; so, I got the best one I could.)

It will be as nice for me to see and hear them again as it will probably be for them to perform shows regularly again. Both performer and listener have been starved for music - time to make up for lost time! 👍

…and now my UF show in September will be my second show instead of my first.

On the Saturday before I see UF, I am now seeing King Crimson in NJ! 😎 The coincidental thing about this show is that it is at the venue close to where I used to live in NJ. It’ll be a nice homecoming of sorts.

Live music again! 🤘🎸

• Like 1

• Subscriber
Posted (edited)
On 5/14/2021 at 7:14 PM, dmway said:

I will be able to say farewell to the band in person

Congrats.  I'd pay whatever it took to see Dawes if they were saying farewell.

I've been going to see An Evening With Dawes shows for almost five years.  It was no opening act.  Two full sets.  No encore.  It's been a life altering experience. I saw well over thirty of these shows.  I had to do accessible seating when the tour started. FF many shows. They were in Madison, WI. (only 80 minutes away from me). I could not take being in the seats.  I know I had to grow some and go for it.  I somehow got down to GA and up fairly close I had just had surgery and was suffering. During When The Tequila Runs Out, he looked straight at me and sang the line, 'He looked at lot like me; He seemed to be in pain.'  Before long, I was driving hours, by myself, standing in GA outside for three or four hours, inside for the same amount and then driving hours home right after the show. I made friends from all over the country and now see them at the shows. I convinced two of my best buds to go to a show and now they are hooked.  In the meantime, Taylor Goldsmith (lead singer/ superb guitarist) got married and had a son. I'm beyond happy for him. I  knew it meant change. The new tour has an opening act and is not billed as An Evening With Dawes. I was going to be bummed but remembered I first saw Dawes when they opened for The Head and the Heart. There are two dates they honored from before the pandemic: Hershey, PA and then Grand Rapids, MI, both in September. I found out these two gigs are still going to be An Evening With Dawes. (Dear God, thank You.)  I'm very fortunate to be going to Grand Rapids, which is after Hershey.  It seems to be the last of a glorious run and the start of what is next. I'm looking forward to seeing my friends as much as I am the band.

Edited by Manohlive
  • Thanks 1