2019 Subscription - Subscribers Gift

U2 Rules

• Community Manager
Just now, matze60 said:

I was referring to the u2.com gift. And the German customs rules apply to all shipments to Germany - including the u2.com gifts that are labelled incorrectly. They need to have a value stated on the form bigger than USD 0.

OK, others have stated that is an issue, we have raised in the past - do you have a link (in English if possible) to an official page somewhere that explains what you are saying here?

• Subscriber
20 minutes ago, bigwave said:

also, for individual issues, a reminder that the thing to do is to work with the CS team via https://www.u2.com/help

choose from the drop menu the heading you think applies specifically to your own issue, and keep us updated as to the outcome, thanks

Screen Shot 2019-12-12 at 13.06.54.png

Update: customs office only held my gift til yesterday, sent it back to the German postal service - they told me they cannot take the package out of the process and it will be sent back to the US. Great! Now I have to try to convince u2.com that I really did not receive the package and ask them to send it again....This will take ages...and all because the package was not labelled correctly....Not happy :(

Regarding the customs rules you are asking about above, I would like to refer you back to the customs thread we had earlier this year. Will look for the link in a sec ;)

• Subscriber

Just found the thread again:

There you can find all info on customs regulations - it's actually very very easy and would be really easy for Live Nation to implement:
a) do NOT Label package as gift
b) do NOT give the value as 0 or 1 USD but something like e.g. USD 15 (up to 20 would be ok)

All done and solved - at least for the majority of recipients in Germany. Couldn't be easier, could it?

• Like 1

• Community Manager
2 minutes ago, schisa01 said:

There you can find all info on customs regulations - it's actually very very easy and would be really easy for Live Nation to implement:
b) do NOT give the value as 0 or 1 USD but something like e.g. USD 15 (up to 20 would be ok)

All done and solved - at least for the majority of recipients in Germany. Couldn't be easier, could it?

thanks - very useful

• Community Manager
4 minutes ago, schisa01 said:

and, just for clarity and info, do you or any other fans from Germany have any examples (blanking out personal details) you can add here of other items this has happened with (both positive and negative, with screenshots) with German customs.

• Subscriber

I also live in Germany and had to pick up my subscribers gift at the customs yesterday. Same as for the last years - it's annoying!! The german customs need a value for the international packages. If there isn't any on the bill (u2.com only says 40$ for presale codes, gift and downloads, but doesn't clarify the individual amounts), they estimate the value. In some years I could convince the officer that the value is about one third because there are other benefits, but sometimes I had to pay 19% fee on the whole amount of 40$ - not funny. Apart from the waste of time spent there.
PLEASE put a value on the packages: 15$ would be perfect, because it's under the limit where additional fees apply.

20191212_170608_klein.jpg

• Subscriber

I received my shipment without any problems with the German customs. However, the CN22 customs declaration on my package was filled out with realistic $10. If it says $ 0 or $ 1 it is not very realistic and the customs will order the consignee to explain the real value. Live Nation should enter a realistic $10 on all shipments - this would avoid many problems.

• Like 1

• Subscriber

I am not satisfied with the delivery all over the years.

This time I really got the CD of the I+E Tour! Nice! But i paid a lot of money for the memberships over the years und didn´t recieved the gifs at all. Always so many problems with the gifts. My wife didn´t renewed the membership any more.

• Subscriber

Hi out there...

I'm writing to you from Germany and also am pretty aware of the yearly customs visit to pick up my U2 membership gifts from there.

The reason why the delcaration is wrong (and can't be $ 0.00) is simple. Even gifts have a value. A record was produced and it was shipped. And whenever you declare a fanclub gift with value $0.00 the customs officers try to get a clue about the real goods value of the sent items. Meaning that each of us is going there and shows a fanclub membership payment of $40.00 and in each of the cases, a customs officer then does his own estimations on the goods value. Leading to the situation that some of us have to pay taxes and others don't (e.g. because the goods value is estimated too low to be tax relevant -> smaller than EUR 22.00 incl. shipping)).

So if you want to avoid us all in Germany and elswhere in the EU to drive to customs year by year, you have 2 options:
01. Declare the goods value with other than $0.00 (maybe $10.00 for a record etc.) - this then will lead to DHL delivering the packages to the recepients home directly and if necessary, they will be charged there.

02. Ship the goods for EU members from an EU residence. 😉

Best wishes,

the albertros

• Like 1

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, knucki said:

I am not satisfied with the delivery all over the years.

This time I really got the CD of the I+E Tour! Nice! But i paid a lot of money for the memberships over the years und didn´t recieved the gifs at all. Always so many problems with the gifts. My wife didn´t renewed the membership any more.

I had the same issue few years back. I never received the gift as promised and never follow up the renew subscription after that. Till now , when I re-subscribe due to concert pre-sales . 
I don’t think I will renew after this subscription runs out.