R.I.P. Thread

• Subscriber
On 7/28/2020 at 7:29 AM, Europa_Thomas said:

That’s beautiful

President Barack Obama said of John  Lewis: “He loved this country so much that he risked his life and its blood so that it might live up to its promise."  (AP Photo/Carolyn Kaster, File)

Former President Barack Obama is giving Mr. Lewis' euology in eight hours, at 11 am ET.   

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Fully agreed - and my opinion both does and doesn’t have to do with current events. A true hero, indeed. Son of a sharecropper from South Carolina, his family made its way to Baltimore for the ho

Rest in Peace Christopher Tolkien. And thank you from all of us Middle-Earth nerds for helping to bring us so many of your father's stories that would probably otherwise have stayed locked in an archi

And John Lennon too!

Posted Images

• Subscriber

Imagine, after everything John Lewis faced, receiving the highest cinilian honor The United States Of America's can bestow, from a fellow black man who just so happened to be President of The United States Of America.    I can't even begin to fathom what both men must have felt in that moment.  We've lost too many great black leaders in the past year or so.  Read through these lists, if you have a couple minutes. They are quite remarkable. 

https://newsone.com/playlist/notable-deaths-2019/item/1

https://newsone.com/playlist/notable-deaths-2020/item/60   

Edited by Manohlive
  • Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Subscriber

image.png.0ba994ed6b4abf23d0cb5b9e13b6fa2b.png                    Mimi Jones - Civil Rights Activist  1947 - 2020.

Mimi Jones in 2017, standing in front of the pool in Malcolm X Park in Roxbury. She is holding an iconic photo of the Monson Motor Lodge manager pouring acid into the pool when she and other civil rights activists were holding a swim-in protest at the St. Augustine, Fla., motel on June 18, 1964.

An interesting part of this story:  16 Rabbis also got arrested for swimming in support of civil rights.   I did not know that until I was reading more on her life and this story. . .   

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Subscriber

Deeply sad news this morning about Chadwick Boseman. Especially shocking as we had no idea he was ill. He made some brilliant films - including the iconic Black Panther - while going through cancer treatment. The strength and courage it must have taken to do that... proper superhero stuff. And so young - only 43 years old :(  

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-53955912

• Sad 1
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Subscriber

United States Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg died today at the age of 87..  This is a horrible loss for my country.  She was loved and will be missed.

Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg  official portrait

Edited by Manohlive
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Subscriber
6 minutes ago, Manohlive said:

United States Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg died today at the age of 89.  This is a horrible loss for my country.  She was loved and will be missed.

Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg  official portrait

Yes, it is truly horrible. Let’s hope our current “president” and immoral Senate Majority Leader don’t compound the tragedy by trying to fill the spot immediately - however, knowing who they are...

• Sad 1