Jump to content

R.I.P. Thread


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

RIP Gay Byrne. If you followed U2 in the 80s, you probably saw one of his interviews with the band for The Late Late Show on RTE.  https://www.breakingnews.ie/discover/a-nation-that-adored-him-

Fully agreed - and my opinion both does and doesn’t have to do with current events. A true hero, indeed. Son of a sharecropper from South Carolina, his family made its way to Baltimore for the ho

...and to check in on people you care about.

Posted Images

  • Subscriber
1 hour ago, Manohlive said:

United States Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg died today at the age of 89.  This is a horrible loss for my country.  She was loved and will be missed.

Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg  official portrait

RIP Justice Ginsburg 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Subscriber
1 hour ago, Manohlive said:

Very, very sad.  I wonder how many girls looked up to her and then followed through on a dream they though could not come true.

Hopefully as many girls as possible over the course of Justice Ginsburg’s long life and career. She inspired and will continue to inspire me.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Subscriber
11 hours ago, dmway said:

Yes, it is truly horrible. Let’s hope our current “president” and immoral Senate Majority Leader don’t compound the tragedy by trying to fill the spot immediately - however, knowing who they are...

 

Given what I've read on social media from people who follow these things, I think they already are trying to do so :angry: Typically insensitive and uncaring from Dump. I mean, at least allow for her funeral to have taken place first! And given how close America is to another election, surely it would make sense to see who gets in and let the next president appoint the successor. But, as we all know, Dump is not sensible. You just know he's itching to appoint some lackey who'll probably be controlled by the Christian fundamentalists. And that doesn't bear thinking about even from my side of the pond... 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Subscriber
5 hours ago, padawanbeck84 said:

Typically insensitive and uncaring from Dump.

Don't think, for a second, that the Democrats wouldn't do the same thing.  They might be more covert.  They'd be drawing battle lines just like the Republicans are doing.  Both sides are full of hypocrites who cling to money and power while others go without.  Many Americans like to trash President Geroge W. Bush.  Few even know it was under him that America funded PEPFAR, which has saved countless lives in Africa.  Great things can come from either side when we do what is right.

 

5 hours ago, padawanbeck84 said:

Christian fundamentalists.

Those are not Christians.  Google what's happening with Jerry Falwell Jr.  Remember that Jimmy Swaggart got caught with hookers, cried in front of a camera and is now back on TV with his own network. He even has the gall to call it the sonlife broadast network.  I want to call down judgement but then I remember my own mistakes.. True Christianity is about sacrifice and love; not pointing with accusational condemnation.  ( not saying you did this, pad-I do not think you did)   

I'm worried the poltical divide is going to deter from how great Ruth Bader Ginsburg was in life.  She seemed to really enjoy her fame and did so with a wonderful sense of humor.  She will be missed. 

Edited by Manohlive
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Subscriber
21 hours ago, dmway said:

Yes, it is truly horrible. Let’s hope our current “president” and immoral Senate Majority Leader don’t compound the tragedy by trying to fill the spot immediately - however, knowing who they are...

 

 

9 hours ago, padawanbeck84 said:

Given what I've read on social media from people who follow these things, I think they already are trying to do so :angry: Typically insensitive and uncaring from Dump. I mean, at least allow for her funeral to have taken place first! And given how close America is to another election, surely it would make sense to see who gets in and let the next president appoint the successor. But, as we all know, Dump is not sensible. You just know he's itching to appoint some lackey who'll probably be controlled by the Christian fundamentalists. And that doesn't bear thinking about even from my side of the pond... 

 

4 hours ago, Manohlive said:

Don't think, for a second, that the Democrats wouldn't do the same thing.  They might be more covert.  They'd be drawing battle lines just like the Republicans are doing.  Both sides are full of hypocrites who cling to money and power while others go without.  Many Americans like to trash President Geroge W. Bush.  Few even know it was under him that America funded PEPFAR, which has saved countless lives in Africa.  Great things can come from either side when we do what is right.

I'm sorry - I have to push back here because this is simply a false equivalence, vis a vis, Supreme Court nominations - this point is proven by simply the mention of one name: Merrick Garland.

There is no one more nakedly partisan and extreme than Mitch McConnell - the only person remotely in the same neighborhood is the (thankfully, former) Congressman Newt Gingrich. He/they were/are/always will be absolutely shameless. Had there been a Republican president in 2016 and Chuck Schumer had been Senate Majority Leader, he never would have done what McConnell did back then - Mitch held that Supreme Court vacancy unfilled for almost 9 full months in advance of the 2016 election just for the chance to get in a Justice like Neil Gorsuch in 2017. Gorsuch has the spot that rightfully belongs to Garland.

George W. Bush deserves to be trashed. Just because he allowed himself a moment of clarity due to Bono's persistent lobbying doesn't mean that he should bask in any glory. He did what was right with Africa, but he had to be strongly convinced to do so. His doing what was right in Africa doesn't make up for what his administration did in Iraq, Afghanistan, the prisoners who are still imprisoned without charge in Guantanamo, etc., etc. His administration, I thought, would be the worst administration of my lifetime after Nixon's - unfortunately, and unbelievably, he has been dethroned by the current administration.

They have no right to fill this seat before next year. I do think that Trump and McConnell will be hypocritical and shameless enough to try. What we have to hope for is that enough Republican senators finally grow a conscience and a spine sufficient enough to prevent McConnell from doing so. Lisa Murkowski from Alaska, to her credit, has already taken such a position; let's hope at least 3 more Republican senators see the light too. RGB does not deserve to be replaced by another Brett Kavanaugh-type Justice.

 

Back on topic: R.I.P., RGB.

  • Brilliant 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Subscriber
2 hours ago, dmway said:

George W. Bush deserves to be trashed.

If you want to trash him, then you should.  I choose to look at the good.  It does not mean I do not dislike the other things that went down when he was our President. Our country did a great thing with PEPFAR, which often gets missed.  I'm not arguing for or against either party.  I'm angry with both of them.  Blindly following Democrats will lead to an equal yet opposite polar extreme.  (I'm not saying you are doing this)   We've got to finally find the middle ground, which is where the answers almost always lie when there is extreme division. Both parties need to get back to their roots.  I agree with almost all of what you said.  I like to honor the good that human beings accomplish.  He did a great thing.  We're all gonna deserve to be trashed if our skeletons are revealed. I want people to see the good I've done in life so I try to look at theirs. That's how I see things. PEPFAR has made an enormous difference.  George W. Bush funded it and deserves to be credited; Republican or Democrat. 

 

2 hours ago, dmway said:

They have no right to fill this seat before next year. I do think that Trump and McConnell will be hypocritical and shameless enough to try

They had already decided to do so before I went to bed last night.  It is extemely hypocritical.  It's infuriating.  

Democrats were hypocritical when they didn't remove Clinton from office for perjury and obstruction of justice.  He was guilty yet they stuck by him.

Where does it end?  When do we say enough is enough, forget about the past and move forward?  Our system is broken.  I do not see it being fixed until both sides shake hands just like our parents hopefully made all of us do after we fought when we were children.

Edited by Manohlive
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Subscriber
2 hours ago, dmway said:

RGB does not deserve to be replaced by another Brett Kavanaugh-type Justice.

It was her dying wish that her seat not be filled by President Trump.  I think it fairly safe to assume we both feel nothing can change Ruth Bader Ginsburg being irreplaceable. 

Edited by Manohlive
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Subscriber
41 minutes ago, Manohlive said:

If you want to trash him, then you should.  I choose to look at the good.  It does not mean I do not dislike the other things that went down when he was our President. Our country did a great thing with PEPFAR, which often gets missed.  I'm not arguing for or against either party.  I'm angry with both of them.  Blindly following Democrats will lead to an equal yet opposite polar extreme.  (I'm not saying you are doing this)   We've got to finally find the middle ground, which is where the answers almost always lie when there is extreme division. Both parties need to get back to their roots.  I agree with almost all of what you said.  I like to honor the good that human beings accomplish.  He did a great thing.  We're all gonna deserve to be trashed if our skeletons are revealed. I want people to see the good I've done in life so I try to look at theirs. That's how I see things. PEPFAR has made an enormous difference.  George W. Bush funded it and deserves to be credited; Republican or Democrat. 

 

They had already decided to do so before I went to bed last night.  It is extemely hypocritical.  It's infuriating.  

Democrats were hypocritical when they didn't remove Clinton from office for perjury and obstruction of justice.  He was guilty yet they stuck by him.

Where does it end?  When do we say enough is enough, forget about the past and move forward?  Our system is broken.  I do not see it being fixed until both sides shake hands just like our parents hopefully made all of us do after we fought when we were children.

It not a matter of "wanting"; it's the matter that so much occurred during that administration that was completely reprehensible. It's hard to erase images like those from Abu Ghraib from the memory - that administration was directly responsible for those atrocious acts.

PEPFAR was/is great - however, you are giving credit to GWB that more properly belongs to Bono. PEPFAR never would have occurred to GWB on his own without Bono's lobbying. Al Gore and John Kerry wouldn't have needed more than one meeting and most likely would have come up with more money. I give GWB credit for not rejecting an idea that was self-evidently good, but that's about it.

It's good that you said that you don't think that I "blindly follow Democrats" because I don't. (Of course, your mentioning at all certainly implied it.) On the whole, I think the Democrats are actually too centrist too often. However, when the other party greedily embraces its lunatic fringe, you can't merely end up being appeasers in the guise of being "fair-minded". When extremists hijack a party, the only rational thing is to oppose.

The Democrats weren't hypocritical during Clinton's impeachment. They listened to the evidence and realized that they couldn't justly remove a president from office for a personal failing. You are justly removed from office if you abuse the power of your office for political gain. This is why less than 100% of the Republicans in the House and Senate voted against him as well. They realized that it would have been an abuse of the impeachment process had they succeeded, and they would have had to own the decision eternally. A president who attempts to extort a country to come up with bogus opposition research against one's opponent in an upcoming election is a proper predicate for removal from office; one lying to cover up the fact one has had an affair is not.

The Senate should have censured President Clinton for sure. However, once they went the impeachment route, they could only fairly vote they way they did. Thus, he stayed in office. (Bono called out the Republicans quite pointedly during that whole controversy as well, you know.)

Yes, I miss the old days when there was more cooperation. However, from 1994 onward, one party has attempted to become more dictatorial as time has gone on; the other had to play defense against it. There isn't common ground for compromise in such an environment. Once we have fewer McConnells and Trumps in power, middle ground begins to exist again.

Let's hope that happens sooner rather than later.

 

Back on topic: R.I.P., RBG.

 

  • Brilliant 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...