R.I.P. Thread

• Subscriber
2 hours ago, dmway said:

It not a matter of "wanting"; it's the matter that so much occurred during that administration that was completely reprehensible. It's hard to erase images like those from Abu Ghraib from the memory -

I completely agree.

2 hours ago, dmway said:

PEPFAR was/is great - however, you are giving credit to GWB that more properly belongs to Bono.

Bono became a hero to me when he convinced George W. Bush to give funding for PEPFAR. The greater credit goes to him.  Perhaps I should have mentioned this..  For me, it's a given. That being said, two people came together and helped millions.

I'm trying to make some sense of what has happened over the past four years.  I cannot type the obsenities I feel toward Mitch McConnell.   You know how I feel about our current president.  I was not arguing with you.  I was being realistic that both sides are amped up for battle and need to chill. It's as it would be with naughty school children and its both sides. Democrats would be trying to get this nomination too, with or without what the Republicans did to Obama.  It's the nature of our political divide. President Trump would not be without it.  My argument is with that more than any party, even though I am a registered Democrat. We're gonna have to meet in the middle.  I'm trying to find common ground from the left. I know it's idealistic but it's possible or we are screwed,  Each side needs to forgive the other and put the good of our country ahead of their own political and personal agendas.  My ideal vote goes to whomever can accomplish that. 

As sad as it is to say this, I think they may well get another appointee.  I'm hoping otherwise.  I don't think we are off topic in discussing this.  It is a monumentous moment in our country's history for a number of reasons.  Now her death is at the center of it.  Let's hope people take notice and vote.

Edited by Manohlive
  • Like 1
  • Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

George Floyd, who died Monday after being pinned to the ground by an officer who pressed a knee into his neck.  46 years of age.   How many more?

...and to check in on people you care about.

39 poor souls in a shipping container hoping for a new life in the UK. Too awful a fate to be imagined

Posted Images

• Subscriber
5 hours ago, dmway said:

He/they were/are/always will be absolutely shameless

I refuse to believe that any human being is beyond redemption, even Donald J. Trump.   I'm not saying it is going to happen but there is no hope without possibility.

I wasn't speaking about the legalities concerning Clinton.  I do not care about them.  Any President who lies to a grand jury and obstructs justice should be both impeached and removed from office.  Period.  Had I been a Democrat in office, I would have voted to remove him. That is just me.  Whomever kept Reagen having Alzheimer's a secret should have been charged for lying to the American people. The list continues. This is just how I see things.  I'm not arguing. Truth should be sacred to one nation under God.  It no longer is. 

• Like 1
  • Subscriber
4 hours ago, dmway said:

(Of course, your mentioning at all certainly implied it.)

I would have come out and said it had I thought it.  I meant no offense. In no way was I implying anything. I wrote the exact opposite. 

We are both upset about the death of Ruth Bader Ginsburg.  We are both afaid of what may come to pass.  It is a very emotional time.  We're on the same side, dmway.  I thought we were having a healthy debate.  I've read what I wrote several times now.  It was was not personal. My statement about blindly following was meant to address how our country goes from one extreme to the other. PEPFAR is an example of something great that came from an awful administration.  I brought it up to show how much further we have sank with Trump. None of it was to counter anything you said.  😊

Edited by Manohlive
  • Subscriber

I've given this a lot of thought.  I'd like to address my comments above.

I should never have brought President Bill Clinton into this conversaion, but for crediting him for nominating Ruth Bader Ginsburg to the Supreme Court of the United States of America.  It was a bad error in judgement for which I wish to apolgize.  I am truly sorry.  I think he is one of our best presidents ever.  This is what comes up on Google with a first search,  before one even goes deeper into what his administartion accomplished:  The list is extraordinary.

Clinton presided over the longest period of peacetime economic expansion in American history. The Congressional Budget Office reported budget surpluses of $69 billion in 1998, $126 billion in 1999, and $236 billion in 2000, during the last three years of Clinton's presidency.

I do not like it that he lied to me about the Lewinsky affair. I still have tremendous respect for President Clinton. 

What started out as a giant bluff running for office turned into a slather of lies which has revealed how obscured truth has become in America under my current president. I am very, very concerned by this. In my anger, I wrote and posted too quickly. I believe Donald J. Trump presents the biggest threat to America in my lifetime.  In no way did I mean to equate his party and administration to that of President William Bill Clinton.

I brought up PEPFAR and President George W. Bush because someone I know and respect has been involved in this program.  He's gone to Africa for years to help with medical training.  He told me Americans have no idea how much good we have accomplished.  It is a great thing in a horrible administration.  I do credit Bono, first and foremost, in my heart for not accpeting no as an answer and getting PEPFAR funded.  It's further inspiration for me to never give up on good. 

I do my best to stand for the truth.  I think it very important we hold our leaders to a new, and much higher standard. They have not been getting the job done, no matter ther reasons.  The debate over Ruth Bader Ginsburg's seat being filled is bitter and unfair. What the Republicans are doing is deplorable. I do not like it when a politician counters and says, "We have arrows in our quiver.".  It uses deadly weapons as imagery in a country that is bitterly divided.  I understand the frustration and disgust. Those are words of war and not peace. I want to see this part of politics end.  That is my criticism in my posts above..  It is not aimed at either side.  I believe it is what needs to be if we are going to move forward. 

I would like to finish by posting part of an article I found on the JFK Libraray website:  

Both President Kennedy and Edward M. Kennedy spent their lives tackling big problems, working across the aisle, and forging compromises to achieve great things. In 1958, even before he launched his historic Presidential campaign, JFK told an audience in Baltimore, "Let us not despair, but act. Let us not seek the Republican answer or the Democratic answer, but the right answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future."

Edited by Manohlive
  • Subscriber

Well @Manohlive, I'm sorry the previous discussion caused you dismay. It needn't have.

The major tragedy is that RGB can't be just honored for her very well-lived life. She deserved (and deserves) it to be acknowledged and honored purely; unfortunately, the timing of her passing couldn't be more awkward. Again, if a particular party were decent and honorable, they could deflate the tension instantly by doing the rational and patriotic thing and waiting until at least January 2021 to consider her replacement. However, they are a horribly compromised party right now - the rot began setting in back in 1994, got a dose of steroids in 2000, and hasn't improved ever since.

I actually don't mind the bellicose language (it is just a metaphor, after all) from the Dems. It shows they are acknowledging the danger to our country properly. When we are having our metaphorical Germany-in-the-mid-to-late-1930s moment, it is wise to channel our inner Winston Churchill and not Neville Chamberlain. This is a pivotal moment; the line has to be drawn. If you have any doubt, read this:

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2020/11/what-if-trump-refuses-concede/616424/

Thank goodness for our free press.

• Like 1
  • Subscriber

12 hours ago, dmway said:

I'm sorry the previous discussion caused you dismay. It needn't have.

It should when I'm wrong if I'm writing strong opinions and don't have my facts straight.  😶  Lol    Thanks. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Subscriber
2 hours ago, xrayjets said:

Oh no, RIP Eddie van Halen 

Yes - this was quite a shock to read:

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/eddie-van-halen-dead-200051/

I was always a bigger fan of VH when Sammy Hagar was with them, rather than the original 4; however, in either incarnation, he clearly reinvented hard rock guitar playing.

R.I.P., Eddie...

• Sad 1