R.I.P. Thread

• Subscriber

R.I.P., Hank Aaron.

His passing happened a few days ago, and I meant to mention it then - he was a true sporting legend.

I still remember that day in April in 1974 when he finally passed Babe Ruth for hitting the most home runs in Major League Baseball’s history. For him to do it as an African-American in the South in the 1970s made it even more remarkable (yes, unfortunately, he did get death threats as he was approaching Ruth’s home run mark).

I also loved the symmetry in his career. The Atlanta Braves (where he played when he broke Babe Ruth’s record) were the Milwaukee Braves (where he began his MLB career after playing a year in the old Negro League) before they (and he) moved to Atlanta. After that 1974 season where he became the new Home Run King, he played his final two seasons for the Milwaukee Brewers, ending his storied MLB career where it began. 

A very classy individual for all of his career, he was a great ambassador for the sport. R.I.P., Hammerin’ Hank.

• Like 3
  • Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

George Floyd, who died Monday after being pinned to the ground by an officer who pressed a knee into his neck.  46 years of age.   How many more?

...and to check in on people you care about.

39 poor souls in a shipping container hoping for a new life in the UK. Too awful a fate to be imagined

Posted Images

• Subscriber
On 1/26/2021 at 2:49 PM, dmway said:

R.I.P., Hank Aaron.

His passing happened a few days ago, and I meant to mention it then - he was a true sporting legend.

I still remember that day in April in 1974 when he finally passed Babe Ruth for hitting the most home runs in Major League Baseball’s history. For him to do it as an African-American in the South in the 1970s made it even more remarkable (yes, unfortunately, he did get death threats as he was approaching Ruth’s home run mark).

I also loved the symmetry in his career. The Atlanta Braves (where he played when he broke Babe Ruth’s record) were the Milwaukee Braves (where he began his MLB career after playing a year in the old Negro League) before they (and he) moved to Atlanta. After that 1974 season where he became the new Home Run King, he played his final two seasons for the Milwaukee Brewers, ending his storied MLB career where it began. 

A very classy individual for all of his career, he was a great ambassador for the sport. R.I.P., Hammerin’ Hank.

He did a LOT for Milwaukee.  We have a bike trail, accessible to all, going through all neighborhoods because of him.  That's just one thing.  He was a great baseball player.  He triumphed helping people in my city.  He was humble about it.  I always looked for it and you could see the humility when he was praised. 

• Like 1
  • Subscriber

3483654_web1_3474104-8b99d8b72347437883f5bde67f7eb5de

R.I.P.   Cloris Leachman

I cannot thank you enough for all of the laughs.  "Oh Mary....Dear, sweet Mary."   Lol  I would have smacked Phyllis so many times.  Hysterical.

She was very funny on Malcolm In The Middle.  She was always so gracious and grateful in interviews.  I loved her. 

Flowers lie on the Hollywood Walk of Fame star of the late Oscar-winning actress Cloris Leachman, Wednesday, Jan. 27, 2021, in Los Angeles. Cloris Leachman had a brief moment in ‘Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid.’

• Sad 1
  • Subscriber

Cicely Tyson died.  😭

In “Sounder,” from 1972, Cicely Tyson is often transfixing in her stillness.

Being a little boy and seeing Sounder and The Autobiography Of Miss Jame Pittman helped shape how I look at people.  I knew racism was wrong.  I was nine when Sounder came out.  I was 11 with Miss Jane Pittman.  Watching her take that drink from the white fountain in that movie was very powerful.  She won countless awards for excellence in acting.  I'm glad she got the Presidential Medal from Barack Obama. 

This is a loss for America.  She was a trailblazer for young black women.  Even people I heard use the n word repeatedly, as a child,  had to acknowledge and could not deny her talent. 

Edited by Manohlive
  • Sad 1
  • 1 month later...
  • Subscriber
On 2/3/2021 at 4:10 PM, doctornickriviera said:

RIP Screech 😢

Yes, the timing of his passing couldn’t have been more tragically ironic.

“Saved By The Bell” was such an adorable show back in the day. The coincidence of the show coming back in an updated way on TV, just to have this news break is such a punch in the gut.

R.I.P., Dustin Diamond, a.k.a., “Screech”.

• Subscriber
Posted (edited)

I'm honestly sitting here in tears. The legendary British motorsport commentator Murray Walker has died, aged 97 :(

He's best known for commentating on Formula 1 racing - for so many of us F1 fans, he was the voice of the sport. I grew up with his commentaries, his distinctive voice and enthusiasm. 

There was a lot of humour, but also very emotional moments too. I don't know how he managed commentating on the Imola Grand Prix in 1994, but he kept professional and calm even as tragic events unfolded on that horrible weekend. And his iconic commentary in 1996, when Damon Hill crossed the finish line to win the world title: "And now I've got to stop, because I've got a lump in my throat". 

Thank you for everything Murray, and rest in peace. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/56388596

Edited by padawanbeck84
correcting a sentence.
  • Sad 2
  • Subscriber
On 2/3/2021 at 3:10 PM, doctornickriviera said:

RIP Screech 😢

He lived in MIlwaukee, in the same apartment building as a few good friends of mine.  He was not a nice guy, sad to say.  I hope he has peace now.  It can't be easy to be the joke for all the other supposed 'pretties'.  It destroyed him.  He was consumed by it.  Very sad.

• Subscriber
Just now, Manohlive said:

He lived in MIlwaukee, in the same apartment building as a few good friends of mine.  He was not a nice guy, sad to say.  I hope he has peace now.  It can't be easy to be the joke for all the other supposed 'pretties'.  It destroyed him.  He was consumed by it.  Very sad.

One good example of what fame can do to a person and how others around the scene manipulate it while avoiding collateral damage to make a buck.  He was not a happy man.  He was despicable to many people.  The things he said to people where I live were beyond awful.  I hope he now has peace.

• Subscriber
25 minutes ago, padawanbeck84 said:

I'm honestly sitting here in tears. The legendary British motorsport commentator Murray Walker has died, aged 97 :(

He's best known for commentating on Formula 1 racing - for so many of us F1 fans, he was the voice of the sport. I grew up with his commentaries, his distinctive voice and enthusiasm. 

There was a lot of humour, but also very emotional moments too. I don't know how he managed commentating on the Imola Grand Prix in 1994, but he kept professional and calm even as tragic events unfolded on that horrible weekend. And his iconic commentary in 1996, when Damon Hill crossed the finish line to win his first world title: "And now I've got to stop, because I've got a lump in my throat". 

Thank you for everything Murray, and rest in peace. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/56388596

I'm sorry, Pad.

• Thanks 1