R.I.P. Thread

dmway

• Subscriber

Homophobia: Young Iranian Man Beheaded by Family for Being Gay

A young gay man from Iran named Alireza (Ali) Fazeli-Monfared was reportedly murdered and beheaded on Tuesday, May 4, by his half-brother and cousins in an alleged honor killing after they discovered his sexual orientation. The suspects found out that Fazeli-Monfared was gay through the military service exemption card sent by Iran’s conscription organization a few days before the killing. 

2-Alireza was killed by being beheaded by his family. After beheading him, the family dumped this poor man’s body under a tree outside of the city of Ahwaz. Alireza was about to flee Iran to join his boyfriend, who’s a refugee waiting for him in Turkey. #علیرضا_فاضلی_منفرد pic.twitter.com/QMqAoINHIm

— Masih Alinejad 🏳️ (@AlinejadMasih) May 8, 2021

😭

• Sad 2

• Subscriber

@Manohlive That is such horrifying, sad news :(  Sadly, there are far too many countries where this kind of prejudice is considered normal, or even encouraged, especially by politicians and some religious groups. And Western countries aren't always very helpful to those seeking to flee such countries. 

I know that here in the UK, our authorities often subject LGBT+ asylum seekers to horrendous personal questioning (and sometimes physical "examinations") in search of "proof" that they are LGBT+. For some reason, they won't just take someone's word for it :angry:

And then they often try to send people back to their home country despite the danger they may face this kind of violence. It's shameful - and I've lost count of the number of petitions I've signed trying to convince the UK Home Office to stop the deportation of an LGBT+ asylum seeker. 

My heart goes out to his boyfriend - and to all those living with the threat of such violence.

I can only hope that education and better understanding will help to erase these kinds of prejudice in time.

• Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Subscriber

Max Moseley, the former head of motorsport governing body the FIA has died, aged 81.

He had a big impact on Formula 1, not just on how it was run, but he was also key in improving safety after Ayrton Senna and Roland Ratzenberger died at Imola in 1994. Some of the safety measures that he introduced, such as improved crash-testing standards, have also been implemented in the road car industry - and have probably saved a lot of lives around the world. 

He was forced to step down from F1 in 2009 after newspaper stories about his personal life - which then led to him campaigning about privacy laws and against the intrusive tabloid papers.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-57232681 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Subscriber

R.I.P., Robby Steinhardt, the violinist from Kansas (the band, that is - I think he is originally from the state too). He was one of the people who proved that violins could be played in rock bands. I put a good sample of his playing in the "What Are You Listening To?" thread (and, no, it's not "Dust In The Wind" - putting that there today would have been a bit too morbid (although he does play very well in that song too)). He helped Kansas stand apart from other bands back then.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/robby-steinhardt-kansas-obit-dead-1198999/

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

• Subscriber
8 hours ago, dmway said:

R.I.P., Robby Steinhardt, the violinist from Kansas (the band, that is - I think he is originally from the state too). He was one of the people who proved that violins could be played in rock bands. I put a good sample of his playing in the "What Are You Listening To?" thread (and, no, it's not "Dust In The Wind" - putting that there today would have been a bit too morbid (although he does play very well in that song too)). He helped Kansas stand apart from other bands back then.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/robby-steinhardt-kansas-obit-dead-1198999/

That’s really sad. His violin playing in “Dust in the Wind” is so beautiful and haunting, and now it’s even more beautiful and haunting 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Subscriber

R.I.P., Dusty Hill, the bassist of ZZ Top. The bearded duo of the band (and the drummer who ironically has the last name of "Beard", despite only sporting a mustache himself) was one of the visual icons of the mid/late-80s, and quite an unexpected one too. They were nothing but a blues-based rock band with a whole lotta Texas in them before "Eliminator" - after that album came out, everyone knew them. I'll make an extra post in the "What Are You Listening To?" thread. R.I.P., Dusty, another great bassist in heaven:

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/dusty-hill-zz-top-bassist-dead-dies_n_6101aefbe4b000b997ddb2f9

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

• Subscriber

⬆️Came here to post about Dusty Hill.

In the mid-eighties ZZ Top videos were constantly playing on television and those three guys were the coolest gang in town.

• Subscriber
4 hours ago, dmway said:

They were nothing but a blues-based rock band with a whole lotta Texas in them before "Eliminator"

One of the most successful touring bands ever before Eliminator.   They held the record for a long, long time.   Very sad.  I was planning on seeing them in September at our music festival.

• Sad 3

• Subscriber
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, CorkVegan said:

⬆️Came here to post about Dusty Hill.

In the mid-eighties ZZ Top videos were constantly playing on television and those three guys were the coolest gang in town.

Fully agreed.

1 hour ago, Manohlive said:

One of the most successful touring bands ever before Eliminator.   They held the record for a long, long time.   Very sad.  I was planning on seeing them in September at our music festival.

Oh, yes - their success in touring in the 70s and very early 80s was intense - that can't be denied; however, the size of the venues they played in after the release of "Eliminator" also can't be denied. They played any place that would have them from their very beginning, but they did move from mostly clubs/theaters to mostly arenas/stadiums once their videos hit MTV. That's what I was getting at. Those who followed rock music closely knew them from the start; the greater masses only discovered them once they had chart-topping singles.

I'm sorry that you/everyone else won't be seeing them in September.

Edited by dmway
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1