R.I.P. Thread

dmway

• Subscriber
10 minutes ago, dmway said:

That's what I was getting at

yeah, they got very big with the videos.  they were a huge MTV draw.  i loved that stuff too.  Jesus Just Left Chicago is my fave ZZ Top song.  i remember having the eight tracks in my beetle vw with a hole in the floor behind the driver's seat and we would crank ZZ Top.  good memories.  

• Like 2

• Subscriber
11 minutes ago, Manohlive said:

yeah, they got very big with the videos.  they were a huge MTV draw.  i loved that stuff too.  Jesus Just Left Chicago is my fave ZZ Top song.  i remember having the eight tracks in my beetle vw with a hole in the floor behind the driver's seat and we would crank ZZ Top.  good memories.  

ZZ Top is perfect playing-loudly-in-the-car music (AC/DC is another good example). "Jesus Just Left Chicago" is great (and bluesy, as they always were at their very core). I really liked "Tush" and "Cheap Sunglasses" too. Hell, they were always great. Some people don't like it when bands they cherish get big, but I loved it in this case - they always deserved to be big. I'm glad they got there. Their natural personalities played to being big as well - they played the "rock star" role well.

Well, again, R.I.P., Dusty.

• Like 1
  • Brilliant 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • Subscriber
Posted (edited)

R.I.P., Charlie Watts.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/charlie-watts-rolling-stones-drummer-dead-obit-1161926/

I was a bit nervous when he wasn’t able to play on the upcoming Stones tour of North America. Unfortunately, those feelings of trepidation were justified.

Despite his short stature, he was a giant among Rock drummers. I’m even more glad that I got to see him play two years ago now.

I know that the rest of the band, and all Stones fans, will give him a wonderful wake at every stop of the upcoming tour. Thank you for everything that you did, Charlie! 🥁

Edited by dmway
  • Sad 4

• Subscriber
Just now, dmway said:

R.I.P., Charlie Watts.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/charlie-watts-rolling-stones-drummer-dead-obit-1161926/

I was a bit nervous when he wasn’t able to play on the upcoming Stones tour of North America. Unfortunately, those feelings of trepidation were justified.

Despite his short stature, he was a giant among Rock drummers. I’m even more glad that I got to see him play two years ago now.

I know that the rest of the band, and all Stones fans, will give him a wonderful wake at every stop if the upcoming tour. Thank you for all you did Charlie! 🥁

Oh my gosh, that is so sad. I never knew Charlie, but I will miss him, and I love his drumming. Over a decade ago, I saw a beautiful portrait of Charlie that his band mate Ron Wood painted of him smiling with his chin in his hand and I cannot get that image of Charlie out of my mind right now (but it’s ok). RIP, Charlie, and have fun jamming with Bonzo, Keith, and The Professor. 🥁🥁🥁🖤🖤🖤

• Sad 2

• Subscriber

There's not many people (or indeed bands) that manage to have such a long, successful career - and influence so many other artists and musicians. Rest in peace Mr Watts. 

And good luck to whoever the Stones find to play those tour dates. Assuming the tour does go ahead... :unsure:

• Sad 2

• Subscriber
7 hours ago, padawanbeck84 said:

There's not many people (or indeed bands) that manage to have such a long, successful career - and influence so many other artists and musicians. Rest in peace Mr Watts. 

And good luck to whoever the Stones find to play those tour dates. Assuming the tour does go ahead... :unsure:

The tour will almost certainly go ahead. The tickets for the tour have already gone on-sale, and the Stones had already lined up a replacement drummer for the tour when Charlie's last medical procedure was completed a few weeks ago, a procedure that had already precluded Charlie's going on this tour:

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-features/steve-jordan-charlie-watts-rolling-stone-1207907/

I'm sure they will give Charlie a good tribute at every date. Steve Jordan is a very capable drummer who can play multiple styles - no one is Charlie Watts except Charlie Watts; however, they did about as well as they could for a replacement.

• Like 3

• Subscriber

So sad news to read about Charlie.

I still can't believe it...

I like The Rolling Stones, I am feeling lucky enough to say I've seen them live in Lucca a few years ago.

Nice evening, great memories.

• Like 1

• Subscriber

FB_IMG_1629891907858.thumb.jpg.a2d9143c0fc400dc0c5654ca21b90517.jpg

Charlie's passing hit me harder than expected. The news came as a complete surprise. I knew he was sick but not to this extent. Above is my view of the band in MetLife Stadium, summer of 2019. Like @dmway said I'm glad that I went to see them that tour. Both Charlie and Ronnie were the stand out musicians that night.

• Like 5