R.I.P. Thread

dmway

• Subscriber

Completely heartbroken by the death of Delays frontman Greg Gilbert, who was diagnosed with stage 4 bowel cancer five years ago. One of my very favourite singers (their second album You See Colours is utterly flawless), and he was also an incredible artist and poet. What a loss to the world this is. He has two young daughters, too. :(

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Subscriber

Paddy Maloney has left so much music behind for future generations to enjoy. Perhaps his greatest quality was his lack of snobbery. He worked with anyone from pure trad artists to pop stars. The Stones even appeared on an album by The Chieftains. Sinead O'Connor's version of "The Foggy Dew" stops me in my tracks every time.

Good luck and goodbye Paddy, I'll see you further on up the road.

• Like 2

• Subscriber
On 10/16/2021 at 1:00 AM, CorkVegan said:

Paddy Maloney has left so much music behind for future generations

1970's.  No internet, etc.  The Chieftains was my first real exposure to hearing Irish music.  I heard his pipes, those beautiful melodies and fell in love.  

• Subscriber
4 hours ago, doctornickriviera said:

Gunther/James Michael Tyler ….. Friends best character? Probably. Sadly taken by Prostate Cancer far too young.😢

Definitely a favourite. "I dropped a cup."

• 4 weeks later...
  • Community Moderator

Sleep, sleep tonight… RIP little Elsha. 

Some of you may have seen her at shows in the US. She was the littlest U2 fan with the biggest heart. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 5

• Subscriber

Virginia Sorenson - 79 years of age.  LeAnna Owen - 71. Tamara Durand - 52. Wilhelm Hospel - 81.  They were all part of a group called Milwaukee Dancing Grannies, which is very popular.  Each died yesterday in the Waukesha, WI tragedy that's on the news.

Milwaukee Dancing Grannies

Jane Kulich - 52, who also died unnecessarily. 

Very sad time here.  

• Sad 1

• Subscriber

At least 27 people have died today trying to reach the UK from France. 
their small boat capsized in the English Channel.

This is a human tragedy that has been coming for years

We must do more to help refugees as a global society.

I’m ashamed of my current Governments approach and rhetoric towards these people. It’s hateful.

Edited by doctornickriviera
  • Sad 2

• Subscriber
On 11/24/2021 at 7:06 PM, doctornickriviera said:

At least 27 people have died today trying to reach the UK from France. 
their small boat capsized in the English Channel.

This is a human tragedy that has been coming for years

We must do more to help refugees as a global society.

I’m ashamed of my current Governments approach and rhetoric towards these people. It’s hateful.

Agreed. The bit that particularly boggles my mind is that our current, almost militantly anti-immigration Home Secretary is herself a British Asian woman, whose parents or grandparents at some point presumably benefitted from being able to immigrate to the UK and settle here. And yet she wants to refuse that same help and those same opportunities to people who are fleeing war zones and fleeing persecution. Can she not see her own hypocrisy?! 

As you say, it is shameful. As are the sick-minded people posting messages "celebrating" that these poor people lost their lives. Every human being deserves a safe place to live. Everyone should be welcome in our country (and in any other country), regardless of where they've come from, what colour their skin is or their religion etc. And regardless of whether they are rich enough to arrive with the proper paperwork, or poor enough that they had to resort to desperate measures like crossing the Channel in a dinghy.

It is horrible and shameful to see politicians trying to find ways to blame the refugees for their own deaths, when the blame lies with politicians who refuse help (and cut aid) to those in the most desperate circumstances. And don't get me started on our tabloid media and their constant, racist anti-immigration scare stories... :angry: 

We should be helping refugees, not treating them like criminals.

And the other worry is, that as we get further into winter, there may be other similar incidents and deaths as the weather gets worse :(

• Like 1
  • Brilliant 1
  • Upvote 1