R.I.P. Thread

dmway

• Subscriber

The channel tragedy has been on my mind since I heard the news.

Nobody chooses to cram their family into a raft and travel across the open sea in November just to cheat another nation's welfare system.

Nobody chooses to bring their family miles on foot through an inhospitable desert just to cheat another  nation's welfare system.

These unfortunate people are reluctantly risking their lives and their children's lives because they are fleeing bad situations in their homeland. Like all humans they deserve a helping hand, not a closed fist.

• Like 3

• Subscriber

Yep, our leaders are blaming France for this when we should be working with Europe to help these people.

They are currently trying to rewrite the human rights act to their own end too.

there has been a silent right wing revolution in the U.K. and the sheeple aren’t noticing it happen. 

ive seen horrible posts on social media like ‘were they skilled workers or were they coming here for benefits’ and hate directed at the RNLI for trying to save refugees rather than abandoning them to the sea.

• Sad 1

• Subscriber
8 hours ago, padawanbeck84 said:

And the other worry is, that as we get further into winter, there may be other similar incidents and deaths as the weather gets worse :(

and covid in the migrant camps or whatever they might be calling them these days.  It's infuriating.

• Subscriber
21 hours ago, doctornickriviera said:

Yep, our leaders are blaming France for this when we should be working with Europe to help these people.

They are currently trying to rewrite the human rights act to their own end too.

there has been a silent right wing revolution in the U.K. and the sheeple aren’t noticing it happen. 

ive seen horrible posts on social media like ‘were they skilled workers or were they coming here for benefits’ and hate directed at the RNLI for trying to save refugees rather than abandoning them to the sea.

Tony Blair's comments telling Labour to wage war on 'wokeism' (translation: common decency and standing up social causes) certainly aren't helping. The lack of humane opinion being expressed by both government and opposition is terrifying.

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber
36 minutes ago, Canadanne said:

R.I.P. Sir Frank Williams. :( My team when I first got into F1 - thank you for the joyful memories!

I was just coming here to post about him too. Like you, Williams were one of the first teams I learned about - growing up watching Nigel Mansell in that iconic car. Through the horrible lows of 94, then back to success and better times with Damon Hill and Jacques Villeneuve. 

I hope he was able to watch this season's races and see his team getting back among the points. It can't have been easy to decide to sell up last year, but it's proving to have been the right decision with the improvements they've made this year. 

My condolences to Claire and the rest of his family - and to everyone involved with the team. He will be deeply missed.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/59453378

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Subscriber

R.I.P., Michael Nesmith.

He was probably the best songwriter in The Monkees (although Peter Tork was a talented musician as well). Did you know that his mother invented Liquid Paper (this is called “Tippex” in the UK)? She did!

He (and Peter) were always very frustrated that, early in their career, they weren’t permitted to write their own music. They eventually broke free from that constraint, and they made great music from then on (the first album they wrote and performed on their own, called “Headquarters”, is a personal favorite - it’s truly a great album).

His timing for the Monkees’ retirement tour was impeccable; it just ended last month. Only Mickey Dolenz is left here on earth of the original four; Michael is jamming with Davy Jones and Peter Tork in heaven now.

Of course, they will mostly be remembered for their campy TV show. However, if you think they were just goofy Beatles-wannabes manufactured by the TV industry, watch their movie “Head” - that will alter your opinion of them (and make you laugh).

Thank you for your music, Michael! 🎸

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/monkees-michael-nesmith-dead-1270079/

• Sad 1
  • Upvote 1