R.I.P. Thread

dmway

• Subscriber
On 3/26/2022 at 8:32 AM, peterferris8 said:

Both the last two times I saw them he came out front to sing Under Pressure by Queen (one of those performance actually guest starred Roger Taylor himself along with John Paul Jones!).

Same.  He also had a beautiful smile. 

Taylor Hawkins

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Subscriber

Bobbie Nelson, sister of Willie.

I had not heard this until now.  Man, what a loss.  I can't remember not seeing her at his side when he was playing with his band.  She was really good.  They'd trade off solos.  It made me love them even more. 

Willie Nelson Was Always as Close to ‘Sister Bobbie’ as When She Held Him on Her Knee.

Willie Nelson Was Always as Close to 'Sister Bobbie' as When She Held Him  on Her Knee

Bobbie Nelson, Willie Nelson's sister, dead at 91 – WHIO TV 7 and WHIO Radio

I disagree but understand why people say it sucks to get older.  I'm getting a really good dose right now.  

• Subscriber

Chris Bailey, founder of The Saints passed away recently.

“Listed as one of the top 30 Australian songs of all time by APRA, (I'm) Stranded saw The Saints acclaimed as key figures in the burgeoning punk movement alongside bands like The Clash and Sex Pistols.

The Saints were inducted into the ARIA Hall Of Fame in 2001.”

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-04-11/the-saints-chris-bailey-dies/100981356

• Sad 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • Subscriber
Posted (edited)

Naomi Judd passed away on the eve before her induction into the Country Music Hall Of Fame.  I'm very bummed.  

I'd gladly walk across the desert with no shoes upon my feet; to share with you the last bite of bread I had to eat; I would swim out to save you in you sea of broken dreams; when all your hopes are sinking, let me show you what love means; Love can build a bridge; between your heart and mine; Love can build a bridge; don't you think it's time?  - Love Can Build A Bridge

She wrote that song, along with many other great ones. 

naomi-judd-of-the-judds-attends-the-2022-cmt-music-awards-at-on-picture-id1390928825?s=2048x2048

Edited by Manohlive

• 3 weeks later...
  • Subscriber

The Greek musician and composer Vangelis (birth name Evangelis Papathanassiou) has died, aged 79  :(

He is probably best known for his film soundtrack work, most notably the scores for Chariots of Fire and Blade Runner. Iconic scores that are instantly recognisable, but he also created a whole catalogue of electronic and synth work that had a huge impact on modern music. 

May he rest in peace. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-61514850

• Sad 2

• Subscriber
9 minutes ago, padawanbeck84 said:

Chariots of Fire

and another gem by Vangelis:

(credit to Jon Anderson, who co-wrote this song)  I love her version. 

• Subscriber
Posted (edited)

Oh boy…please don’t let this year be like the 2015-2017 era, with respect to musicians passing on…

R.I.P., Alan White, most famously the drummer for Yes. He also drummed at different times for both John Lennon and George Harrison before joining Yes. A truly tremendous musician and a very nice human being. When he was drumming with Yes bassist Chris Squire’s reunited pre-Yes band The Syn about 15 years ago, I got to meet him in person. Just a lovely person. He had had health difficulties for a few years now; I’m glad he’s no longer suffering. R.I.P., Alan.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-tyne-61600583

P.S. If you go to the band’s official website, you will see very nice tributes from lots of Yes members, both current and former - the site can take a while to load today from the increased traffic:

https://www.yesworld.com

Edited by dmway
  • Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Subscriber

And another loss... @dmway I fear this is getting as bad as 2016  :(

Former Bon Jovi bass player Alec John Such has died, aged 70. He played a key role in forming the group, including bringing Richie Sambora on board. He was part of their line-up through their initial success through the 1980s, before retiring from the band in 1994. He also appeared with them in 2018 for their induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-61701017

• Sad 1

• 1 month later...