• Bono Book Zoo Header.jpg

R.I.P. Thread

dmway

• Subscriber

On the subject of the Queen's passing, can we just appreciate the sheer *Britishness* of thousands of people feeling compelled to pay tribute to our longest-serving monarch by forming the longest, politest queue possible?

Seriously, the queue to see her lying in state is at least five miles long - probably even more than that by now. Trains are running overnight to take people down to London so that they can join it, and it is being broadcast live so that those of us who can't get there can watch other people queuing to have their brief few seconds to bow, curtsey or whatever they feel is appropriate when they reach Westminster Hall.

It honestly just feels like The. Most. British. Thing. Ever :lol:

Bravo to everyone in The Queue.   

• Like 3
  • thumbs up 1

• Subscriber
On 9/16/2022 at 9:00 AM, padawanbeck84 said:

On the subject of the Queen's passing, can we just appreciate the sheer *Britishness* of thousands of people feeling compelled to pay tribute to our longest-serving monarch by forming the longest, politest queue possible?

Seriously, the queue to see her lying in state is at least five miles long - probably even more than that by now. Trains are running overnight to take people down to London so that they can join it, and it is being broadcast live so that those of us who can't get there can watch other people queuing to have their brief few seconds to bow, curtsey or whatever they feel is appropriate when they reach Westminster Hall.

Bravo to everyone in The Queue.   

I saw that David Beckham queued for hours. He has gone up even further in my books now

• Upvote 2

• Subscriber
5 hours ago, xrayjets said:

I saw that David Beckham queued for hours. He has gone up even further in my books now

I'm not his biggest fan, but he does get my respect for that. Apparently he waited for around 12 hours. Being who he is, he could easily have played the VIP card to get there quicker, had he wished to do so. But then jumping the queue would have looked bad on him as a former England captain. 

And now it's up to about 10 miles long and around a whole day's wait  :o  Police shut the main queue at one point, then people started a second queue to get into the main one - and now I believe there's a *third* queue to get into that second one... 

I think we've reached the pinnacle of Great British Queuing :D

I just hope no-one causes a kerfuffle when they really *do* have to shut the queue at some point on Sunday to make sure the people already in it can get through before they have to start final preparations for the funeral itself. 

It also says an enormous amount about how many people want to pay tribute to the late Queen. I wish she could see it... so much love, respect and admiration is being expressed in one giant line of people. 

• Subscriber
On 9/15/2022 at 6:00 PM, padawanbeck84 said:

I only know as a citizen of the USA and a close friend/mentor who was English.   It's very moving.  I'm really enjoying the outtakes of her humorous statements over the years.  I busted a gut when she was asked of the sundial in the shade.  London is one of my top bucketlist cities.  It's nice to see the monuments without scores of tourists.  Yes, it's very sad. The city's beauty (what little I know) really comes out at night. 

Hope!

Buckingham Palace double rainbow after the queen's death

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • Subscriber

Seriously universe... take a break.

The Scottish actor Robbie Coltrane has died, aged 72 :(  Probably best known for playing Hagrid in the Harry Potter films, he also appeared in 2 James Bond films, the TV crime series Cracker and much more.

I have to admit I had no idea until now that Robbie Coltrane wasn't his real name. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-63261204

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

• Subscriber
23 minutes ago, padawanbeck84 said:

Seriously universe... take a break.

The Scottish actor Robbie Coltrane has died, aged 72 :(  Probably best known for playing Hagrid in the Harry Potter films, he also appeared in 2 James Bond films, the TV crime series Cracker and much more.

I have to admit I had no idea until now that Robbie Coltrane wasn't his real name. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-63261204

Also an 80s comic strip legend. RIP Robbie.

• Like 1