Record Store Day 2019

• Subscriber

The above being said-I love the EP art.  I stayed up all night to make sure I didn't oversleep and miss getting in line at 6 am so I'd get one.  I almost bought an album frame but I'm going to make my own using a buddy's wood shop.  I am very excited to wake up and see it hanging on my bedroom's music wall.  

Did anyone open their EP?  Are the stickers cool?   Mine is in the shrink wrap and shall remain that way until it goes into the frame. I can't risk something happening to this EP.  I'm too clumsy.  Are the stickers cool?   

Edited by Manohlive
  • Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I got up early and caught a 6am train to a nearby town to get my copy. When I left my home it was cold and dark , just before sunrise and so quiet and all the birds were twittering away  I thought to

Inside.

It is heavy, good quality glossy paper that is folded in two to create a pamphlet about 12x12. On the front is the entire Chaplin speech. Inside both pages are taken up of a live shot of the audience

Posted Images

• Subscriber
21 minutes ago, Manohlive said:

I looked at it and found the merchandise boring.  I want something new or a new approach at something they've already done.  I love the EP art.  I'm framing it. If it's RSD-why not give us a vintage Pop poster or AB or EI using all the cool U2 imagery?  The RSD merchandise in the shop is not indicative of how awesome U2's art is when it comes to their albums and tours. I love Charles Chaplin but that poster bores me.  Connect his image, 'We Must Unite' and U2's art-I'd be chomping at the bit to buy it.  Just my opinion. 

No - they missed a trick there too. Having items with the EP art seems like an obvious thing to you and me (and to most reasonable people), but, so far, nothing. Maybe it’s coming(?) - but I’m not holding my breath because they still don’t have MacPhisto-themed stuff from the e&i tour either, and that also seemed like a no-brainer. I guess we can still hope for this when the e&i DVD/BluRay comes out, but what the hell is wrong with striking while the iron is still hot?

My original post also is inspired by my frustrations from ordering in the shop in general in the first place. I would actually like to buy stuff more often from it, but either the items aren’t brilliant, the cost for any item is too high (this is almost always true), and/or the cost for the shipping is too high (this is always true). Thus, I reiterate what I wrote above.

• Subscriber
5 hours ago, Manohlive said:

Did anyone open their EP?  Are the stickers cool?  

The stickers are the same images as found on the RSD store items. Slogans like "Prosperity is watching you," "We must unite," and so on.

• Thanks 1
  • Subscriber
6 hours ago, dmway said:

My original post also is inspired by my frustrations from ordering in the shop in general in the first place. I would actually like to buy stuff more often from it, but either the items aren’t brilliant, the cost for any item is too high (this is almost always true), and/or the cost for the shipping is too high (this is always true). Thus, I reiterate what I wrote above.

I am going to use my discount this year.  It will be the first time.  Hopefully it will go well. I've decided I want, and will wear, the silver JT pendant. I'm happy to resubscribe next month.  Some may disagree but we get a lot of bang for our buck.  I never would have known about today's release, leave alone be up so early  (not sleep all night so I could) to stand in line so long in the cold, only to stand in line even longer to check out, had I not been a part of U2.com.  Yesterday was wonderful.  It was an event.  I heard there were over 200 people in line at my local store..  You couldn't move to look around at stuff, even though everyone was doing so and apologizing in the process.  The whole experience was very pleasant.  People were buying hundreds of dollars of vinyl..  I had no idea it was so big.  It was a very nice crowd.  I had quite a few good conversations about music.  Everyone was cool.  

• Subscriber

Sorry for another post but does anyone know if the SOE box was released specifically for yesterday?  It was in with the RSD releases.  I thought it had already been released. It looked like the same one.  Was this a special for yesterday?  It was $87.99 by me.  I wish I could have looked at it but the store was too busy.   . 

• Subscriber
2 hours ago, CorkVegan said:

The stickers are the same images as found on the RSD store items. Slogans like "Prosperity is watching you," "We must unite," and so on.

What is the other insert I read about inside? I still haven't opened it yet and may not for a while.

• Subscriber
54 minutes ago, Manohlive said:

I am going to use my discount this year.  It will be the first time.  Hopefully it will go well. I've decided I want, and will wear, the silver JT pendant. I'm happy to resubscribe next month.  Some may disagree but we get a lot of bang for our buck.  I never would have known about today's release, leave alone be up so early  (not sleep all night so I could) to stand in line so long in the cold, only to stand in line even longer to check out, had I not been a part of U2.com.  Yesterday was wonderful.  It was an event.  I heard there were over 200 people in line at my local store..  You couldn't move to look around at stuff, even though everyone was doing so and apologizing in the process.  The whole experience was very pleasant.  People were buying hundreds of dollars of vinyl..  I had no idea it was so big.  It was a very nice crowd.  I had quite a few good conversations about music.  Everyone was cool.  

First, I'm glad you had such a good time yesterday. It was nice doing an old-fashioned thing like lining up outside a record store - although in the past, I did that more for concert tickets than for new releases (I'm not old enough to have bought records when Led Zeppelin was in the prime of their popularity). I don't want to belabor the point too, but an overwhelming majority of official band sites and forums now are completely free of charge - e.g., R.E.M. fans found out about their "Bingo Hand Job" RSD release Saturday without paying a cent. (When R.E.M. was still an active band, they only charged $10 a year for full benefits too.) Metallica charged for their site memberships until about 2-3 years ago, but they stopped because they felt like continuing to charge was just fleecing their fans - their forum and other site benefits (including concert pre-sales) are completely free now.

I'm glad you found something you wanted in the shop. I'm pleased when I have the same experience - many years go by when I don't use the coupon at all. Thus, my suggestion that they use the discount more widely in the shop. I truly would like to buy more, but the cost and the associated shipping prevent me from doing so.

48 minutes ago, Manohlive said:

Sorry for another post but does anyone know if the SOE box was released specifically for yesterday?  It was in with the RSD releases.  I thought it had already been released. It looked like the same one.  Was this a special for yesterday?  It was $87.99 by me.  I wish I could have looked at it but the store was too busy.   . 

I'm sure it was the same as the original SOE box. The site would have definitely informed us if it were a release unique to RSD. I don't think an act has ever released two different items on the same Record Store Day, but perhaps I'm wrong.

• Subscriber
3 hours ago, dmway said:

'm sure it was the same as the original SOE box. The site would have definitely informed us if it were a release unique to RSD.

That's as I thought.  Someone probably put it up thinking it was a record store day special.  They had a lot of records on the walls.  Thanks, dmway

• Subscriber

Superb release. Great packaging and great tunes. I think demand on the ground was up on other years too.

Could we get wav downloads on u2.com or could I add my voice to those looking for a for-purchase digital release? There is a clamour for rips/ copies from folks who were unable to get to a participating store so the demand is there. 

• Upvote 2