Record Store Day 2019

• Subscriber
11 hours ago, dmway said:

What is the other insert I read about inside? I still haven't opened it yet and may not for a while.

It is heavy, good quality glossy paper that is folded in two to create a pamphlet about 12x12. On the front is the entire Chaplin speech. Inside both pages are taken up of a live shot of the audience and E+I screen. This also has the credits for the music on the ep.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I got up early and caught a 6am train to a nearby town to get my copy. When I left my home it was cold and dark , just before sunrise and so quiet and all the birds were twittering away  I thought to

Inside.

It is heavy, good quality glossy paper that is folded in two to create a pamphlet about 12x12. On the front is the entire Chaplin speech. Inside both pages are taken up of a live shot of the audience

Posted Images

• Subscriber
5 hours ago, Anam said:

Superb release. Great packaging and great tunes. I think demand on the ground was up on other years too.

Could we get wav downloads on u2.com or could I add my voice to those looking for a for-purchase digital release? There is a clamour for rips/ copies from folks who were unable to get to a participating store so the demand is there. 

YES! Thank you for saying this! I’m usually the voice in the wilderness here asking for WAV downloads, so it was very heartwarming to read someone else say it too! 

I also think that this is exactly the kind of thing that should be given to the subscribers here. Release the vinyl first, then offer the WAV downloads to members here in short order. It would be a fitting perk of membership.

1 hour ago, CorkVegan said:

It is heavy, good quality glossy paper that is folded in two to create a pamphlet about 12x12. On the front is the entire Chaplin speech. Inside both pages are taken up of a live shot of the audience and E+I screen. This also has the credits for the music on the ep.

Thank you very much for describing it! Now, I will be opening it sooner rather than later. 😎

• Like 1
  • Subscriber

I'm happy to lend weight to every 'release the wavs' call, particularly for vinyl-only releases. I'd be just as happy to get it from Qobuz or 7 Digital though or on a download card with the record. 

• Like 1
  • Subscriber
2 hours ago, Anam said:

I'm happy to lend weight to every 'release the wavs' call, particularly for vinyl-only releases. I'd be just as happy to get it from Qobuz or 7 Digital though or on a download card with the record. 

YES (again)! Really, all RSD releases should have download cards (or the equivalent).

No amount of vinyl released on RSD will make it 1975 again. 2019 is 2019 - and, in 2019 and beyond, people stream/download music and will continue to do both in perpetuity. By all means, release the stuff on vinyl first if you wish to, but not releasing it eventually in digital formats is just pig-headed. If you were a musical act, why would you want to deny the ability of your music to reach all of your fans? It would just be a very silly and inconsiderate thing to choose to do that.

Well, we live in hope...

• Subscriber

To be fair, the majority of U2 vinyl releases through UMG have wav download cards and that's much appreciated, along with the vinyl fanclub releases in mp3/wav. With RSD the objective is to give the shops involved a shot in the arm and early downloads would potentially undercut that. I'm very happy for vinyl to have centre stage in 2019!

I honestly have no gripe with or criticism of the status quo. But you can't play records in the car. (Yet!!) 😎 Audacity = hard. Downloads = easy. Pure laziness! Hopefully once the vinyl is sold out the digital versions will follow.

Edited by Anam
  • Subscriber
4 minutes ago, Anam said:

With apologies for the double post, I just love the idea of bombarding the world with enough vinyl to make it 1975 again @dmway

And yet no amount of vinyl will ever make that happen. 😱 Downloads are even better environmentally as well - when that catches on more broadly, oh boy... (Carbon is hard to avoid...)

8 minutes ago, Anam said:

To be fair, the majority of U2 vinyl releases through UMG have wav download cards and that's much appreciated, along with the vinyl fanclub releases in mp3/wav. With RSD the objective is to give the shops involved a shot in the arm and early downloads would potentially undercut that. I'm very happy for vinyl to have centre stage in 2019!

I honestly have no gripe with or criticism of the status quo. But you can't play records in the car. (Yet!!) 😎 Audacity = hard. Downloads = easy. Pure laziness! Hopefully once the vinyl is sold out the digital versions will follow.

Yes, the new album releases have had the cards, to their credit - but that approach is very hit and miss with RSD releases: some acts do it; some acts don’t. It really ought to be uniform - they should all have them. Ironically, including the cards would increase the sales of the titles offered - it’s a win-win.