U2 Tour 2019 Annoucement Live Thread

• Subscriber
16 hours ago, coleena said:

I'm surprised so many GA's left though....

The SCG has a monster field though, at least 1.5 times the size of a football field, 20 times the size of an arena floor. All the Aussie venues have massive fields (as they are cricket/AFL grounds). With the exception of Brisbane's Suncorp stadium (which is a football ground).

Edited by ddarroch
  • Replies 540
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

OK - So today i got to go for my first ever pre-sale for the Singapore show.  Due to location and circumstance, I had never been in a position to go through this process before, so having been a membe

Sydney 2 tickets sorted.  Best presale ever, smooth sailing each time ! 

Posted Images

• Subscriber
31 minutes ago, ddarroch said:

The SCG has a monster field though, at least 1.5 times the size of a football field, 20 times the size of an arena floor. All the Aussie venues have massive fields (as they are cricket/AFL grounds). With the exception of Brisbane's Suncorp stadium (which is a football ground).

the SCG field is small compared to other AFL venues. it's a shorter ground, just look where the 50 metre line is to the centre square. 

Dfu5MRKUEAErId9.jpg

so for those in GA in Sydney it will be smaller than Perth's Optus Stadium and Melbourne's Marvel. which means a few less people in GA.

here's Optus

E37_Perth_Stadium_Open_Day_089.JPG

GooseAvatar.jpg

Edited by BigBunny
  • Subscriber
26 minutes ago, BigBunny said:

the SCG field is small compared to other AFL venues. it's a shorter ground, just look where the 50 metre line is to the square. 

so for those in GA in Sydney it will be smaller than Perth's Optus Stadium and Melbourne's Marvel. which means a few less people in GA.

GooseAvatar.jpg

The SCG is certainly much shorter than the long-skinny Adelaide Oval. But it's quite similar in size to most AFL grounds  (shorter, a little wider), relative to rectangular football fields anyway. It's smaller than the massive MCG, but is actually larger than Marvel Stadium.

Here's a link, Marvel shown by it's former name, Etihad stadium.

https://m.portadelaidefc.com.au/news/2014-03-27/skinny-flat-meet-the-slimmed-down-adelaide-oval

Optus isn't in here, it wasn't built. But it's big, & appears to be 165m x 130m.

For reference, Suncorp's field is 136m x 82m. An area of just over 10,000sqm.

Edited by ddarroch
  • Subscriber

@ddarroch for some reason on tv the SCG looks shorter and not as wide as Marvel hmmm

I know Optus is a big field. I haven't been there yet but I'll know in October 😎 I mean look at this!

optus-stadium-blog.jpg

Edited by BigBunny
changed photo
  • Subscriber

Yeah, looks like it'd be a great atmosphere. Big stadium, with steep tiers.

Have to admit I'm not an AFL fan, so not that knowledgeable. Thought I'd heard Sydney was unusual, shorter, wider. So makes the play a bit different.

Being a cricket fan I know all about Adelaide Oval, very long & narrow. Batters should try to play square, to the shorter boundaries. Bowlers should keep the ball up, forcing batters to hit straight.

Have to admit I'm just basing a lot on that table in the link. Mightn't be accurate, as I've seen different dimensions being talked about for the MCG, while looking for info on Optus.

I'm going to do my best, & be down on the field. So the size the ground shouldn't effect me much 😂

Edited by ddarroch
  • Like 1
  • Subscriber
5 hours ago, dmway said:

Is it too soon to start a petition (on-site and/or off) to request a show in Honolulu after the end of the Asian dates?

They didn’t play there two years ago and it’s in the mid-Pacific.

Just sayin’... 😎

I'd totally sign your petition.

• Like 1
  • Subscriber
11 hours ago, BigBunny said:

@ddarroch for some reason on tv the SCG looks shorter and not as wide as Marvel hmmm

I know Optus is a big field. I haven't been there yet but I'll know in October 😎 I mean look at this!

optus-stadium-blog.jpg

Wow... even the giant Joshua stage will look tiny in this place !

• Subscriber
18 hours ago, andryu2 said:

I'd totally sign your petition.

Thank you for the support! 😎

I’ll try to come up with something soon.

BUT, back to the happy U2 fans of  🇦🇺🇳🇿🇯🇵 🇰🇷 and 🇸🇬 (eventually) for now! 😎

• Like 1