Sign in to follow this  
dermo

GA Lines

While acknowledging that this is very much a first world problem, it's disappointing to see that all has not been good at the Auckland GA line.  I've said it here before and I'll say it again, surely the band could get involved in this .  It wouldn't take much to put some sort of random system in place that would be seen to be 'fair' to all. They have done so before.  This was one of the issues that I believe the fan forum that Guy Oseary mooted a couple of years ago could have been used to address.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, lizzd said:

Wait the line started already?? Awww I wanted to do more sightseeing today...😩

I doubt it's already started. us Aussies & Kiwis are more laid back than other countries.

Edited by BigBunny
  • Like 1

On 11/5/2019 at 11:59 AM, dermo said:

While acknowledging that this is very much a first world problem, it's disappointing to see that all has not been good at the Auckland GA line.  I've said it here before and I'll say it again, surely the band could get involved in this .  It wouldn't take much to put some sort of random system in place that would be seen to be 'fair' to all. They have done so before.  This was one of the issues that I believe the fan forum that Guy Oseary mooted a couple of years ago could have been used to address.

Same old faces .... 

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

It's made it to news websites now. https://www.stuff.co.nz/entertainment/music/117202408/new-zealand-u2-fans-livid-with-internationals-over-general-admission-system-in-auckland-gone-rogue?cid=facebook.post 

What started out as a cool fan thing has mutated into a sense of entitlement and a way to game the system. Venues need to grow some balls and draw a line in regards to this. 

I saw Muse at the O2 in London a couple of months ago. I arrived at the GA line to find a group of fans writing numbers on people's hands as they entered the line. At one point venue staff came and said this was unofficial and therefore they as a venue would not recognise it. A few people got upset but I applauded internally. More venues need to follow that example.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, peterferris8 said:

It's made it to news websites now. https://www.stuff.co.nz/entertainment/music/117202408/new-zealand-u2-fans-livid-with-internationals-over-general-admission-system-in-auckland-gone-rogue?cid=facebook.post 

What started out as a cool fan thing has mutated into a sense of entitlement and a way to game the system. Venues need to grow some balls and draw a line in regards to this. 

I saw Muse at the O2 in London a couple of months ago. I arrived at the GA line to find a group of fans writing numbers on people's hands as they entered the line. At one point venue staff came and said this was unofficial and therefore they as a venue would not recognise it. A few people got upset but I applauded internally. More venues need to follow that example.

Maybe Livenation who make so much money out of U2 fans through ticket sales, merchandise and the fanclub should look at a fair system that generates random GA line numbers for fans that want to line up early on the day of the show. They could have one person policing it, like they do with RZ, It could be done on an app maybe? It would save loads of hassle like we are seeing now, people can just spend their time visiting the city that they have travelled to without having to do check ins. Plus the band would mostly see fresh faces on the front row every night, instead of the same ones that they see over and over.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, DBUGGY said:

Same old faces .... 

On 11/6/2019 at 12:59 AM, dermo said:

I think the band has more important things to deal with instead of dealing w/ a group of ‘adults’ acting like kids. Really, like someone said “same old faces”... if they were ‘true’ U2 fans they would give others a chance to enjoy the exhilaration of being at the rail...but of course not. The band is also most likely sick of seeing the same ones all the time.

• Like 4

It was a problem on all of their recent tours. A small group commandeers the front of the line, sets up their own lists and check-ins and pushes out the locals. Their feeling is that they follow the band, so they are entitled to the front row. It breeds resentment among those who cannot spend the time or money traveling around following U2 and only go to see them when they visit their hometown (I live in NYC, so they are here on every tour - I've seen them multiple times in the last 5 years without having to go more than about 30 miles from home). When you are seeing them in your hometown, your regular life (jobs, school, family) gets in the way of random hour check-ins and/or sitting in line for days.

I've said it before, I'll say it again. They need to put in the system that Springsteen uses. Depending on the size of the venue and the GA, X amount of numbered bracelets are distributed X hours before a show starts. A public lottery is held to determine which number becomes the front of the line and everyone falls in behind that person. The more often you go, the better your odds of being in the first group at least once on a tour. The locals have just as much chance of being in front as the tour followers. Done.

• Like 5
  • Brilliant 2

I complained about the check-in system in 2017. I hate the way it's got so out of hand on recent tours. When I saw U2 in London on the Vertigo, 360° and IE Tours, it was sufficient to join the queue early in the morning on show day and you could get a great rail spot. That all changed on the JT and EI Tours - now, even if you arrive the day before the show, you've probably already missed out on a low enough number because they start the "list" about a week in advance, and lots more people are getting a number early because they're not required to put in the effort of staying in an actual queue.

I'm not in favour of randomising the GA line, because it would probably make things even worse for people like me - I'm really short and struggle to see anything even from the second row. I don't believe that being short entitles me to a rail spot, but I'm willing to sit in line for a long time to give myself the best chance of getting one. Unfortunately that is no longer enough; I would have to spend an absolute fortune booking a hotel room for the whole week before the show, and even then, they're bound to move the goalposts and start the list a fortnight in advance. It's just getting silly.

I can understand the use of "check-ins" if the venue don't want people camping overnight or all day due to heightened security, but still, there is no reason to start the list more than about 24 hours before the show. It's complete rubbish how the line leaders claim they're doing it for our own benefit, to prevent a "stampede" or whatever - a problem that never existed in the first place! They're only doing it to ensure that *they* can get in first, and they've apparently befriended U2's security team so they're always allowed to get away with it, pretending the fans are all on board.

I think the current system would be OK if only the list was started by venue staff instead of fans, to ensure it happened at a reasonable time in a well-advertised location, and any pre-existing unofficial lists would not be honoured. First come, first served, and in the unlikely event of a "stampede", no-one gets a number until a civilised queue has been formed. We used to be perfectly capable of lining up in order of arrival - I'm sure we can still manage it!

• Like 5