I am an Australian and I've had enough

• Subscriber

The tour hasn't even hit our shores yet and I'm so sick of the overseas fans claiming ownership over the band. I've had enough of it. You don't own them. I don't care how many shows you've been to or what the hell you've spent your money on. None of us are equal until all of us are equal. What has annoyed me most of all is the way these groups are organised according to their self-imposed importance. If you have spent more than anyone else on the band and have travelled all over the world to see them do you know what you haven't done? You haven't paid enough attention to your own life. 

It costs 20 cents a day to save a baby from contracting HIV. It costs 20 cents a day to save the life of the mother and to stop her transmitting that disease. It costs 20 cents a day to improve the quality of lives in the most harshest conditions and you spend your money instead on your habit, and in doing so push the locals who are just as worthy as you of getting close to and knowing the band out of the way. I don't care how much you've spent. What it means to me is that people died in the meantime and all you cared about was whether you got that signature or not. 

I'm ashamed to call myself a fan today. The tour hasn't even made it yet and the ridiculous in-fighting in the audience of the band and the complete and utter selfishness of those who want to scramble to the top of this fandom and lay claim to being more important is deplorable. You don't deserve them. 

I'm sorry U2. You can keep your suit of lights. I'm off with the sun.

Signed the lady with the sunhat, who believes loves is bigger than anything in its way, but who can't see it in the throngs of people pushing each other out of the way and standing on each others toes. 

I'd rather sit in the sun with a beer. 

Have a beautiful day, and bless x

Edited by amanda_mcphee
grammar
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

• Subscriber

To me what's going on in Auckland with this list is the antithesis of what U2 espouse.  It disappoints me to see the news reports from New Zealand which reflect badly on the fans and the band and the sight of people partrolling the line with a notebook is unedifying.  Is this really the type of publicity U2 need or want or the with  some shows not selling out maybe the old adage no publicity is bad publicity applies.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Subscriber

It's only gotten worse. The corrupt check-in system started this morning in Sydney, 3 days before the show.

A local stooge was rolled out to start the line. "This line is for you Sydneysiders, look a local is running it".

The fans visiting our fair city began to join soon after. Taking up the vast majority of the top of the list.

It continued throughout the day, while locals were hard at work. More people joining, numbers climbing.

By 5pm - as locals finished work & turned their attention to getting on this damned list - well past the century! Well & truely.

110 people on the list by 5pm!

This list is for everyone, come join the party, locals.

Bull crap!!

Edited by ddarroch
  • Sad 1

• Subscriber
2 hours ago, ddarroch said:

It's only gotten worse. The corrupt check-in system started this morning in Sydney, 3 days before the show.

A local stooge was rolled out to start the line. "This line is for you Sydneysiders, look a local is running it".

The fans visiting our fair city began to join soon after. Taking up the vast majority of the top of the list.

It continued throughout the day, while locals were hard at work. More people joining, numbers climbing.

By 5pm - as locals finished work & turned their attention to getting on this damned list - well past the century! Well & truely.

Bull crap!!

Very disappointing to hear again but unfortunately not a bit surprising

• Like 2

• Subscriber
5 hours ago, ddarroch said:

Bull crap!!

It's so absurd. Anyone not arriving in Sydney until nearer show day has absolutely zero chance of getting a spot at the front. There is NO good reason to start handing out numbers this far in advance - it's just selfishly, needlessly ruining the experience for a lot of other fans. Please do something to stop this, U2. :(

• Like 2

• Subscriber

SCG needs to stick to their policy stated on all of their promotional material....the rubber's going to hit the road tomorrow when genuine Aussie fans show up at 8am expecting to be front of the line.

• Subscriber

Posted as an answer on the SCG Facebook page....

Sydney Cricket Ground (SCG) All ticketholders are required to abide by the following policy to avoid discrepancies and disagreements. Only the following policy will apply:

General Admission ticketholders will be able to queue on the day of the event only to allow for event setup.

GA ticketholders are requested to only begin lining up from 8:00am on the date of the show (subject to change).

The General Admission line will be formed along Driver Avenue as indicated by signs saying Gate 9 General Admission. There will be signs indicating wristband number placement in the queue (1 through 250 and 251 through 500).

Entering the GA line indicates the guest’s agreement to abide by all Venue policies and procedures (the same as while inside the Venue).

The first 500 ticketholders in line who show their GA Floor ticket will have a sequentially numbered wristband put on their right wrist. Wristbands will be distributed from 8:00am on the date of the show (subject to change) until the allocation is exhausted – limited to the first 500 ticketholders only.

• 2 months later...
  • Subscriber

In Sydney we had Red Zone. Showed up about 15 min before check in. There was already a line. We went in and I got a spot exactly where I wanted halfway up the catwalk between the mainstage and the B stage. I had one guy in front of me on the rail. He got there at 8AM... I was 12 inches further away from the rail and I showed up at check in.. Folks- smell the roses- You don't need to wait in line for days to get a decent spot at these big shows.

I really think the Aussie and Kiwi local fans are a bunch of whiners. Being very vocal complaining that the biggest band in the world have fans who go early to wait in line to get up front. Geez--- life isnt fair. If you can't get up early you might miss breakfast. If you can't get to the pub before last call you might not get a pint..

I have had GA and RZ in many countries. I have never waited in line more than a few hours before showtime. And I have always been right up front or comfortably in the center a little further back... 

Love you people and love your countries. But man --- waaaah waaaaah waaaaaah.

Edited by geowickey

• Subscriber
On 1/22/2020 at 11:24 PM, geowickey said:

I really think the Aussie and Kiwi local fans are a bunch of whiners. Being very vocal complaining that the biggest band in the world have fans who go early to wait in line to get up front.

Sorry, you've got it wrong geowickey. Aussies & Kiwis haven't been complaining that fans are arriving early, & waiting in line. They're complaining that fans are arriving early, & NOT waiting in line.

They're arriving days early, getting on a list, returning sometime much later, to get their name checked off. Rinse & repeat. NO WAITING.

We've never had problems on any other tour. Why? Because people were prepared to wait in line! That's the way it's always worked here, a fair orderly queue. You arrive when you are prepared to wait, & you waited. It's the only fair system.

That's what happened in Brisbane this tour. People arrived, waited. Some even camped out, including myself. Nobody complained!

The complaints only start when an unfair check-in system is used. It screws over locals, & anyone who can't arrive days before a show.

Yes, second row is fine for most people. But not everyone. This is why I'm not fine with second row.

spacer.png

Anyway, we'll see what happens in a few more years, if we're lucky enough to be blessed with another tour.

Edited by ddarroch
  • Like 1