Announcing our 2020 subscription offer : 'U2 eXPERIENCE + iNNOCENCE – LIVE IN BERLIN'

• Community Moderator

As Bigwave says, there are solutions for casting the show from the computer or phone to the TV - thinking of loud: Chromecast, Roku, an intelligent TV that supports Miracast, a good HDMI cable, etc...

Please wait a few days for more technical information about the stream and what could be done to enjoy it, going from phones and tablets to the big TV...

• Replies 463
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A DVD??? We are in 2020 guys! Have you heard about Blu-ray? UHD 4K Blu-ray? This is ridiculous!

Christ above you can't please everyone can you! I for one am very happy and appreciative with this gift!

I think this gift is wonderful.  I'm shocked they would release EI as a subscribers gift. I am very happy.  DVD versus BluRay-I don't care.  It'll be a good picture and it will have great sound.  I st

Posted Images

• Subscriber
Posted (edited)
35 minutes ago, bigwave said:

you don't watch netfix? (other streaming services are available)

And have heard other options are being looked into for subscribers to be able to watch on their smart tv device. Seems to be the direction of travel for hi-def content, kind of away from physical formats (I like both for different reasons).

No, not at all. I completely fail to see the allure of watching things on tiny screens with tiny speakers. No matter how “good” the video and sound quality are allegedly, the fact of the matter is that physics is physics - it’s not the same as watching/listening to things on a proper TV with a proper sound system. (As you may have gathered, I don’t have a Smart TV and don’t really relish the thought of buying one - my TV is plenty good already without being so-called “Smart”. (On a side note, is the streamed audio in 5.1 and/or stereo?))

Again, I’m genuinely happy for those that are delighted by the new news. There just seems to be with this new announcement a subliminal assumption that “all wants are now satisfied” - I’m just clarifying that that assumption isn’t correct.

Well, my hope is that a BluRay version will hit the market eventually. Of course, that means that my recent renewal won’t have a gift that I can use attached to it. Apparently, many think that those in our situation should just not care. I’m just about done talking about it; I’ve had enough.

Edited by dmway
  • Subscriber
3 minutes ago, Max Tsukino said:

as Bigwave says, there are solutions for casting the show to the TV... let's wait a few days for more technical information about the stream...

Thanks, Max, but see my last comment above. 

The “solution” is just not a solution for me and for others who are in the same predicament. 🤷‍♂️ 

• Community Moderator
16 minutes ago, dmway said:

Thanks, Max, but see my last comment above. 

The “solution” is just not a solution for me and for others who are in the same predicament. 🤷‍♂️ 

I edited/expanded my answer... it's possible to enjoy the stream on your TV...

• Community Moderator
1 hour ago, dmway said:

Well, my hope is that a BluRay version will hit the market eventually. Of course, that means that my recent renewal won’t have a gift that I can use attached to it. Apparently, many think that those in our situation should just not care. I’m just about done talking about it; I’ve had enough

I’m failing to see how a video that can be played on demand for the duration of your subscription and a physical copy that can be played in a dvd or Blu-ray player is a gift that can’t be used. 

• Community Moderator
5 minutes ago, xrayjets said:

Nice one team 👍 

Looking forward to hanging with everyone out again 

Looking forward to hanging out with everyone again too. Great special times. 

• Thanks 1
  • Subscriber

I think asking for a blu Ray release when we’ll be getting a dvd and 4k stream is a bit like asking them to release all there new albums on cassette as well as cd, vinyl and download. Blu Ray is a bit caught in the middle these days. People didn’t take to the format the way they did to DVD’s and now 4k has come along its a bit stuck in the middle of being neither the most popular or the best format. 

• Subscriber
46 minutes ago, Max Tsukino said:

I edited/expanded my answer... it's possible to enjoy the stream on your TV...

Max, you are a sweetheart - I appreciate you (and Big and Mich) and your efforts to have this recent announcement be good news for everyone.

However, your revised post still makes the assumption that everyone's TVs are Internet-ready/capable. Mine is not, and I am very happy it is not. I am a very strong civil libertarian; thus, I am no fan at all of the "Internet Of Things" (for those to whom this term is new, think Siri, Cortana, Echo, Google Home, etc. - streaming from phone to TV is the same tech).

It reminds me tangentially of MacPhisto's comments on the e&i tour about Facebook and other social media, and how people so freely willingly give away so much about themselves to complete strangers (even with privacy settings set high, there is still information about you to be gleaned). If this belief makes me a 21st-Century Luddite, so be it - in the end, the side effect of all these things just increases your exposure to marketing. That doesn't mean that there aren't tangible advantages to the IoT - there most certainly are; I just hope you're enjoying all your associated perma-advertising as well.

Excuse the digression...more succinctly, my TV is blissfully not connected to the Internet, and I like it that way. ✌️

• Subscriber
19 minutes ago, mich40 said:

I’m failing to see how a video that can be played on demand for the duration of your subscription and a physical copy that can be played in a dvd or Blu-ray player is a gift that can’t be used. 

I'll be happy to explain then.

The show was shot in 4K, a high-definition format. No matter how good one's DVD player is, you will not be seeing/hearing that show in high-definition on DVD. Again, that's just physics. Now, you and many others may not be bothered by that  - and that opinion is completely fine; however, equally fine is the opinion that a DVD version of this show is lacking - that's my (and others') opinion. Each opinion is valid for each group (and valid in general).

The streaming bit is nice for those who want such a thing; I don't - I elaborated further above. I just don't use it and have no interest in using it. For me personally, it's just not any kind of advantage.

Again, I'll just hold out hope for a commercial BluRay release. I've already given up hope of getting what I would like from the annual "gift".

• bigwave unfeatured and featured this topic