Announcing our 2020 subscription offer : 'U2 eXPERIENCE + iNNOCENCE – LIVE IN BERLIN'

• Subscriber
25 minutes ago, Dean Allison said:

I think asking for a blu Ray release when we’ll be getting a dvd and 4k stream is a bit like asking them to release all there new albums on cassette as well as cd, vinyl and download. Blu Ray is a bit caught in the middle these days. People didn’t take to the format the way they did to DVD’s and now 4k has come along its a bit stuck in the middle of being neither the most popular or the best format. 

No, not true - if I wanted the show in Betamax, then you would be on point.

DVDs are more outmoded than BluRays are; that's just a fact. You can still like/use them, of course, but they are simply an older technology that many went past a decade or so ago. My point is that, if you are producing a DVD of the show, why not create a DVD/BluRay set? This is the modern way for many artists, even for acts much less famous/well-heeled than U2. For example, an old guitarist that I enjoy (Steve Hackett) just released a CD/DVD/BluRay set of his last tour released on the massive worldwide conglomerate InsideOut Records (yes, that was sarcasm). He's doing the same going forward too. So, if an artist who is much less famous/well-off than U2 and is not tied to LiveNation and Universal Music (both multinational, multi-billion-dollar corporations) like U2 is, how can he do it? All it takes is the will to produce such a set; it's not lack of resources (esp. when the repeat subscribers here give $40 (or equivalent) each and every year as well).

OK - well, I think that's enough soapbox preaching for today. I've already accepted that a BluRay is not coming from the club; I just hope that I can buy one later.

• Replies 458
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A DVD??? We are in 2020 guys! Have you heard about Blu-ray? UHD 4K Blu-ray? This is ridiculous!

Christ above you can't please everyone can you! I for one am very happy and appreciative with this gift!

I think this gift is wonderful.  I'm shocked they would release EI as a subscribers gift. I am very happy.  DVD versus BluRay-I don't care.  It'll be a good picture and it will have great sound.  I st

Posted Images

• Subscriber

I don't get the fact why this great big band  as u2  isn't capable to just release a concert in different formats. Depeche Mode had a film, a stream and a dvd/bluray-release of their Spirit in the forest tour. A band who is doing a lot for its fanbase is Marillion. They know what their fans want: physical releases in dvd bluray and cd format. U2 does not , I mean their company.  

• Like 1
  • Subscriber
18 hours ago, mich40 said:

As long as you have a subscription, you will legally own a 4K version on demand. 

Not technically true. You have the right to watch the concert film, but you don't legally own anything. 

• Like 1
  • Subscriber
16 hours ago, sukhjitkamal said:

Assume you can't use U2.com on your TVs built in web browser. Looks like a HDMI job from the mac to the telly then.

Yes, apparently, I'll be in the same boat, if I can make it work.

Is there such a thing as an extra-long HDMI cable? If not, I'm going to have to practice being a contortionist to make the needed connection. Where my TV-stereo system is, accessing the back of either is quite difficult (and I can't place the system anywhere else in the room) and, if I have to make the connection with a standard-length HDMI cable, I will have no place to put my computer. Sounds like an evening of "fun". 🙄

Well, let's see what happens...

• Community Moderator
1 hour ago, dmway said:

Yes, apparently, I'll be in the same boat, if I can make it work.

Is there such a thing as an extra-long HDMI cable? If not, I'm going to have to practice being a contortionist to make the needed connection. Where my TV-stereo system is, accessing the back of either is quite difficult (and I can't place the system anywhere else in the room) and, if I have to make the connection with a standard-length HDMI cable, I will have no place to put my computer. Sounds like an evening of "fun". 🙄

Well, let's see what happens...

this article can be of help:

http://www.bluejeanscable.com/articles/how-long-can-hdmi-run.htm

• Thanks 1
  • Subscriber
On 3/1/2020 at 11:50 PM, cristiu2 said:

I don't get the fact why this great big band  as u2 isn't capable to just release a concert in different formats. Depeche Mode had a film, a stream and a dvd/bluray-release of their Spirit in the forest tour. A band who is doing a lot for its fanbase is Marillion. They know what their fans want: physical releases in dvd bluray and cd format. U2 does not, I mean their company.  

Agreed. I'm with you in hoping that sets that you have described above are coming for this release; it would be nice to to get word officially one way or the other too...

Thank you, by the way, for letting me know about the new Depeche Mode live release! I hadn't already known about it. Also, you are indeed correct about the release: it comes in a 2-CD/2-BluRay set and a 2-CD/2-DVD set!

(Mod edit -  direct links to external stores removed)

I hope we get the same wealth of choices when the Berlin show hits the market - time will tell...

• bigwave unfeatured and featured this topic