Announcing our 2020 subscription offer : 'U2 eXPERIENCE + iNNOCENCE – LIVE IN BERLIN'

• Subscriber
3 hours ago, RSkanseTX said:

honestly assumed it would be a "regular" DVD/Blu-Ray release. $50 just seems really steep for a DVD (DVD!), no matter how much I would love to own it. 

I understand, and can sympathize with this reasoning.  The problem is that you didn't pay $50 for a DVD. You paid to be a member of this website/fanclub. The gift is only one part of a larger sum.  I don't understand people saying I didn't pay for this gift when they purchased something with multiple components.  U2 never says what any gift will or will not be until it is officially announced. This is what they've chosen to do this year.  It is what it is.  I can undertand being disappointed.  I can understand someone consdering if they want to keep subscribing.  I don't understand the constant barrage of attacks against the band, and this website, when things aren't as one would wish. It's the chance we take when we subscribe. One can join this website for free, still be a part of the live threads and so much more. That costs nothng yet it's expensive, and a lot of work, to maintain a website. . .

This gift is one day old and people are already deciding that they are going to have to buy the BluRay.  No you don't.  You'll have the DVD.  You want the BluRay.  There's a huge difference. It's also presuming this will be commercially released on BluRay.  From what I read, it's exclusive. There's been no indication of it being anything else. 

It's EI, from Europe, and it's the Berlin show.  I've read, numerous times, from many different sources, that this is one of the best U2 shows ever.  I don't understand why people can't enjoy it for what it is.  Thi is just how I see it..  We all possess the right to express our vews in these forums and threads..  It's part of our subscription. Your opinion has just as much validity as mine.  We wouldn't be a community if it did not. 

Edited by Manohlive
  • Like 6
  • Brilliant 1
  • Replies 479
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A DVD??? We are in 2020 guys! Have you heard about Blu-ray? UHD 4K Blu-ray? This is ridiculous!

Christ above you can't please everyone can you! I for one am very happy and appreciative with this gift!

I think this gift is wonderful.  I'm shocked they would release EI as a subscribers gift. I am very happy.  DVD versus BluRay-I don't care.  It'll be a good picture and it will have great sound.  I st

Posted Images

• Subscriber

I'm happy enough with this gift, but then again I loved the vinyl gifts too so I might just be behind the times.

The objections that other fans have for the DVD are quite reasonable and they have a solid case. I just hope that this show doesn't get released commercially because if so it devalues the specialness of this fanclub only item.

• Like 4
  • Subscriber
16 hours ago, Dean Allison said:

How good a gift this is or isn’t will really depend on if it gets a physical release to the general public or not. To renew it cost me around £30. If the show is only going to be released for subscribers or at the very least the physical format is released only for subscribers then I think it’s a good gift. However if they decide to release it publicly on Blu Ray at a cost of usually around £15 then someone who isn’t a subscriber will be getting a better format of the show for half the amount I paid. So as I said it all depends on how exclusive this is to us. 

That's pretty much what I'm thinking, too. If it isn't commercially available (or if the one in the shops is no better than the one we're getting), then it's a great gift and I'm very happy with it. If they subsequently release a deluxe edition and I end up paying for two copies of the same show, I'll be quite peeved.

• Like 3
  • Subscriber
15 hours ago, CorkVegan said:

I'm happy enough with this gift, but then again I loved the vinyl gifts too so I might just be behind the times.

The objections that other fans have for the DVD are quite reasonable and they have a solid case. I just hope that this show doesn't get released commercially because if so it devalues the specialness of this fanclub only item.

5 hours ago, Canadanne said:

That's pretty much what I'm thinking, too. If it isn't commercially available (or if the one in the shops is no better than the one we're getting), then it's a great gift and I'm very happy with it. If they subsequently release a deluxe edition and I end up paying for two copies of the same show, I'll be quite peeved.

Yes - thank both of you for fleshing out the reasons why others and I complained right out of the gate. Your observations are what we were getting at.

It would be very useful to know what the site means exactly by the word "limited" in the description of this gift. It is "limited" in the sense of "special and truly unique" (and if so, how is it special/unique specifically), or is it "limited" meaning time-limited, i.e., it is the 2020 gift and not beyond that?

Will this concert be getting a wider release? That would be good to know too. IMHO, this show will certainly be released commercially - there is no way (again, IMHO) that this DVD will be the only way this show will become available. If this were the only place to get the show, multiple formats would have to be offered.

Further questions: if a worst-case scenario plays out (i.e., the U2.com edition is identical to the general release regular edition), would we at least get it in our mailboxes before it goes on sale to the general public? If it ends up being identical to the general release, and the general release goes on-sale first before any of us receive the U2.com edition in our mailboxes, any complaints posted here would be richly earned and deserved.

Well, let's hope for the best. More information about this show, I think we can all agree, would be very nice to have as soon as possible.

Also, there were a few comments above that were not completely well-founded, and I'd like to address those further here.

I think everyone knows that it's not very fun to read people's complaints on message boards and forums. However, what really matters is whether any objection is valid. I've read a few complaints on the site over the years here that have made me laugh and/or roll my eyes; I've read other that were right on point and addressed a failing that was/is properly a failing.

While it is no fun to read trivial complaints, it is also important not to conflate the rational objections with the irrational ones. There are some who conflate complaints about the shortcomings of the site and/or fanclub in general (and there are legitimate ones) as if they were complaints about the band. That's complete nonsense. The band and the website/fanclub are separate entities. Complaining about LiveNation/Island Records/Interscope Records/Universal is not the same as complaining about the band.

Also, there are a lot of causes that are leading to the complaints that have developed over a long period of time - that also isn't being properly acknowledged sometimes. There are ways that the benefits of membership here have declined over time; unfortunately, this seems to have coincided with the time when Paul McGuinness departed the stage and LiveNation took over. The benefits of being a member here were chronicled by a few above - and those mentioned are benefits. However, for other acts' official webpages, most/almost all the benefits mentioned are completely free of charge; U2.com is one of the very few official band pages that still charges a fee every year. Many bands used to charge, but now no longer do. Yes, the ones that don't charge don't usually have a membership gift, but an overwhelming majority of sites that don't charge do offer pre-sale ticket access. I would hazard a guess that the two main reasons most of us (including myself) continue to renew here are: pre-sale ticket access during touring years and the annual gift. Some might ask, "How about the forum as a reason?" Well, that may be in your personal top two (it would be co-number 2 for me) - however, as I already mentioned, most official band forums are completely free to sign up for and use - even a section of this site is free. I mention this because other bands manage a fully-functioning fan forum without charging; thus, site-upkeep as one of the reasons to charge doesn't really hold water - how do the other sites do it, if membership fees are truly necessary? (I'll stop here and leave other issues for later.)

Also, I would argue that our devotion to the band is what feeds our complaints sometimes - we want a site that kicks ass like our band does. When it falls short, we have every right to say so - hell, we have literally paid for the right. Being paid members here shouldn't require us to be submissively obsequious when we have a legitimate issue.

Well, I don't really wish to go on here. I have already resubscribed - gladly, proudly. In broad brushstrokes, as I said earlier, I love this year's gift - however, it would just be nice to have answers to the questions we all raised above.

Thanks again to the mods who read all these complaints, legitimate and otherwise. Peace. ✌️

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
  • Upvote 2
  • Brilliant 1
  • Subscriber
4 hours ago, peterferris8 said:

I'm gonna go one further than the people mentioning Blu Ray and say...haven't the band heard of Netflix?

1 hour ago, dmway said:

Perhaps it will end up there later?

Could that be a good thing?  

I'm hoping this is for us and a North American show is for the BluRay.  We would have an exclusive.  We could buy the BluRay. People who don't have BluRay could still see the North American show on YouTube when it got uploaded. We'd all have the EI tour, on both continents, to relive.  Many other requests for the gift to be exlusive live content, copies of shows and such would be fulfilled.  

It's tough to read comments where people assume/presume the band does not care and are gonna screw subscribers. Truth is, none of us knows what they are going to do next. Part of why I think U2 are the best is that they suprise/revinvent how things are done aoccording to them and not everyone else.. Perhaps it's what is being done here.  Maybe fans' past comments/complaints have been heard.  It's possible that it took a while to get it all sorted out in a way that works for just about everyone..  

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, dmway said:

I think everyone knows that it's not very fun to read people's complaints on message boards and forums. However, what really matters is whether any objection is valid. I've read a few complaints on the site over the years here that have made me laugh and/or roll my eyes; I've read other that were right on point and addressed a failing that was/is properly a failing.

While it is no fun to read trivial complaints, it is also important not to conflate the rational objections with the irrational ones. There are some who conflate complaints about the shortcomings of the site and/or fanclub in general (and there are legitimate ones) as if they were complaints about the band. That's complete nonsense. The band and the website/fanclub are separate entities. Complaining about LiveNation/Island Records/Interscope Records/Universal is not the same as complaining about the band.

I bitched about You're The Best Thing and GOYOW on this webste. I think it was the day after SOE was released.  I even criticized some lyrics. (mortifying)  Those are now two of my favorites on SOE.  I whined about the Apollo show being on subscriber radio.  Both instances make me roll my eyes and laugh at how petty I was being. 

Personally, I agree with pretty much everything you say on this website. In this instance,  BluRay would be great for the sound/video quality.  DVD and BluRay would be better for people who do not have BluRay.  I notice when people differntiate between Live Nation and the band/fanclub. My own personal objection is when people just trash the band.  It really irritates me. I need to let it go. We seem to subscribe for different reasons.  I'm glad you wrote what you did, dmway.  Checks and balances is a good thing.  

2 hours ago, dmway said:

It would be very useful to know what the site means exactly by the word "limited" in the description of this gift. It is "limited" in the sense of "special and truly unique" (and if so, how is it special/unique specifically), or is it "limited" meaning time-limited, i.e., it is the 2020 gift and not beyond that?

It is quite confusing..

We all come at this from our own perspective. We're gonna butt heads from time to time. That does not mean one person's opinion is or is not valid.  We're all human beings and have a right to be heard. 

• Subscriber

I'll be honest, my first reaction when the gift was announced was "that's pretty damn cool", but my second reaction was one of mild disappointment that it was DVD rather than Blu-Ray or a HD digital copy or something. 

I don't mean that to sound ungrateful or entitled, but I think a few of the other posts have summed things up quite well and initially it just seems like its a case of so near and yet so far again.

@dmway post sums up the wider issues very well - there's a bit of a historic thing going on here and also where the current model sits alongside other similar fan sites. I suspect that most people are happy to pay for a subscription here due to the chance of priority tickets - something which other bands seem to now offer at no charge.

Its still a cool gift though 😃 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Subscriber

Nah....That's still bad...I wouldn't pay for Netflix Just To See U2... .. And I will take this OPPORTUNITY to say I am content with the Gift....... Come On , Acrobat !!!!!!!

• Like 2
  • Brilliant 1
  • Subscriber

I'm also happy with the gift . 

Of course a Blu-Ray version would be better but it's still nicer than the vinyls of a couple of years ago ,

I just gave those away to a friend since I don't have a turntable.

And a sometimes overlooked member benefit : the webmail account .

Most people don't need it but I find it useful to unlock my hotmail account when traveling since I don't have a smartphone

Luc

• Like 1
  • bigwave unfeatured and featured this topic