Announcing our 2020 subscription offer : 'U2 eXPERIENCE + iNNOCENCE – LIVE IN BERLIN'

• Subscriber
On 11/14/2020 at 12:16 PM, sukhjitkamal said:

Still annoyed we didn't get a 4K release for this.

Still annoyed we didnt get ANY full hd or 4K releases at all. They could've released all their concert videos on blu ray. The Boston show should've been released in full hd along the boxset for ATYCLB.

• Replies 503
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A DVD??? We are in 2020 guys! Have you heard about Blu-ray? UHD 4K Blu-ray? This is ridiculous!

Christ above you can't please everyone can you! I for one am very happy and appreciative with this gift!

I think this gift is wonderful.  I'm shocked they would release EI as a subscribers gift. I am very happy.  DVD versus BluRay-I don't care.  It'll be a good picture and it will have great sound.  I st

Posted Images

• Subscriber

I am genuinely interested to hear their reasoning behind how they released this film.

Was it always going to be the subscribers gift? (doubtful)

Were LiveNation/Universal not confident this would do well commercially? 

Were they stuck for the Subscribers gift idea and were like "Ah we'll just give them Berlin"

Were they unable to strike up a deal with Netflix/Apple TV to have this on streaming services in 4K?

It always amazes how those in charge always manage to mess up things like this.

• Subscriber
7 hours ago, sukhjitkamal said:

"Ah we'll just give them Berlin"

I was ecstatic that they gave us Berlin. I found it to be a very nice compliment to the live IE double CD, and a beautiful bookmark to previous five years of U2. Some didn't like that it's not in 4K.  Others were happy because they can't afford anything but a DVD player. I have a bluray player and couldn't care less if it's in 4K or not, where others, like yourself do care.  Some didn't like that the double CD of live IE songs did not have anything on it but songs from SOI and SOE.  Many people didn't like the vinyls when they were the subscribers' gift.  Before that, people were not happy with remixes as gifts.  Some people didn't like From The Ground Up, because it was too big and heavy.  The list keeps going and going and going...

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Subscriber

I have the I+E live double CD that has tracks from various different concerts and appreciate it. 

Im not bothered that the Berlin concert is not HD. It is all about the music for me. It is a brilliant showpiece and I still can’t stop listening to it.

What I do wish however , is that they would release the whole show as downloadable audio tracks that I can play on my smartphone or in the car. At times , I crave to listen to it but can’t. The delivery is like no other performance they have ever done, quite unique and an evolution. 

• Upvote 1
  • Subscriber
15 hours ago, Manohlive said:

I was ecstatic that they gave us Berlin. I found it to be a very nice compliment to the live IE double CD, and a beautiful bookmark to previous five years of U2. Some didn't like that it's not in 4K.  Others were happy because they can't afford anything but a DVD player. I have a bluray player and couldn't care less if it's in 4K or not, where others, like yourself do care.  Some didn't like that the double CD of live IE songs did not have anything on it but songs from SOI and SOE.  Many people didn't like the vinyls when they were the subscribers' gift.  Before that, people were not happy with remixes as gifts.  Some people didn't like From The Ground Up, because it was too big and heavy.  The list keeps going and going and going...

This is different to previous gifts though. The Berlin film was originally planned for a commercial release on multiple physical formats and digital downloads. This would have meant everyone would have got what they wanted. Instead they only release it on a 480p DVD in a cheap sleeve and give you only a year access to the on demand stream. 

I'm just trying to understand how they came to the decision to do this. Could you imagine being the director of the film, or even working on the camera crew. You're filming a production with state of the art cameras and all of a sudden your client decides to only release it in 480p. It's a kick in the teeth. 

For a band that is known for using advanced technology on each of their tours, this was really a poor move. I wonder if the Heartland film will get the same treatment. Hopefully not..

• Subscriber
7 hours ago, sukhjitkamal said:

I'm just trying to understand how they came to the decision to do this

I'm not trying to start up any type of argument.  Each year, the gifts are announced.  Some people love them.  Others do not.  That's all I'm saying.

It's almost 2021.  Wait.  No matter what they do, there will be subscribers who do not like that gift.

As far as being the member of a crew filming something for a client:  It is the client's money.  It would not be up to me to decide which format anything would or would not be.  If I didn't like it, I could find another job. This is how I see it.  Nothing is aimed at anyone, or meant to mean I'm right and you are wrong.

They're updating the catalogue.  I think people are going to get there 4K BluRays.  If that happens, some people will be upset because they already have the DVD and why should they pay again for a BluRay?  U2 will be called money grabbers, etc.  No matter what they do, some are happy and some are not.