U2Community

Announcing our 2020 subscription offer : 'U2 eXPERIENCE + iNNOCENCE – LIVE IN BERLIN'

1 hour ago, RangerOne said:

One more flag for the Blu-ray! It makes absolutely no sense to make this available in DVD when we subscribers are actually interested in content. The only reason I can think of for somebody to be happy with whatever the format/quality as long as it is and exclusive release is to make a profit by reselling it, which certainly is not the spirit of membership.

The video (and audio!) quality of a DVD release is definitely inferior to the one in Blu-ray or even streaming, and anyone who's been watching audiovisual media in the past 10 years can definitely notice that. As a subscriber, I'm here because of the exceptional content (and pre-sales ;) ), so its quality is extremely important.

Don't think you can generalise like that.  I'm happy with whatever the format is because I am not overly fussed about slightly better quality (it's a personal thing); but I won't be selling my copy (I will be keeping it and playing it). 

Perhaps DVD was selected as a media because it is readily playable format across different devices old n new?  As not everyone has access to the latest hardware that could play Bluray?  So it's fairer for everyone.

I too hope/ agree that a different version is not made available commercially like 'From the Sky Down' (box set v's commercial release of movie) or the available nowhere else U2 map being given away free during RSD. 

Edited by joshthetree
  • Like 2

20 hours ago, pain_18_ said:

Nah....That's still bad...I wouldn't pay for Netflix Just To See U2... [...]

Me too!! :rolleyes:

[...] And I will take this OPPORTUNITY to say I am content with the Gift....... Come On , Acrobat !!!!!!!

I agree. :)
And Zoo Station, The Fly, Stay (Faraway, So Close!) and Wild Horses...

:ei_Be_Gentle_With_Me:

• Like 1

On 1/24/2020 at 10:00 AM, U2Community said:

Announcing our 2020 subscription offer. The complete show on limited edition DVD.

View the full article

XmfdEWh.jpg

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, joshthetree said:

Don't think you can generalise like that.  I'm happy with whatever the format is because I am not overly fussed about slightly better quality (it's a personal thing); but I won't be selling my copy (I will be keeping it and playing it). 

Perhaps DVD was selected as a media because it is readily playable format across different devices old n new?  As not everyone has access to the latest hardware that could play Bluray?  So it's fairer for everyone.

I too hope/ agree that a different version is not made available commercially like 'From the Sky Down' (box set v's commercial release of movie) or the available nowhere else U2 map being given away free during RSD. 

Bluray has been around for 14ish years.   To the point it's now last generation video tech, and UHD bluray is the new tech.   I think many people that still use optical media have bluray players.  Standalones or built into gaming consoles.    It's like saying it should be on vhs because people haven't bought dvd players yet.   It seems unfair to offer inferior quality so the handful of people on old tech can play the disc.

That being said, it doesn't seem difficult to appease fans.   Like a previous poster said they could include both a dvd and a bluray in the set.  Alternately, they could make both available, and you choose when buying your membership.

I don't really put on DVD's anymore.  Definitely a deal breaker for me.

• Like 1

Seriously, this has to be a mistake. The first half of the show hasn’t been available at all because it wasn’t on the TV broadcast. The whole show was filmed in 4K. Are they really going to release only a DVD (480p) version of it all?

I just refuse to believe that.

I do think that at some point the whole show will be commercially available in 4K. Maybe jus a digital only release... but I can’t believe it won’t ever be released in 4K.

If they are clever they’ll do a physical 2-disc release with one DVD and one BluRay 4k for fanclub only. And a 4K digital only release commercially.

Either way, I’m going to hold on to my money till a 4K is available somehow.

Interestingly, I first did not realize it was a DVD. On the back of my mind, I was thinking Blu-ray. Well, that isn't very reassuring. We are in 2020 and DVD is outdated by more than a decade. No wonder the DVD did not register on my mind. 🤣
I think this is another ploy for U2 grab money from fans when the Blu-ray package hits the general public sales and maximizes profits giving this subscription gift.
I love U2, but I do sometimes think they are too greedy. This is another example of that. 

5 hours ago, OptimaX said:

Seriously, this has to be a mistake. The first half of the show hasn’t been available at all because it wasn’t on the TV broadcast. The whole show was filmed in 4K. Are they really going to release only a DVD (480p) version of it all?

I just refuse to believe that.

I do think that at some point the whole show will be commercially available in 4K. Maybe jus a digital only release... but I can’t believe it won’t ever be released in 4K.

If they are clever they’ll do a physical 2-disc release with one DVD and one BluRay 4k for fanclub only. And a 4K digital only release commercially.

Either way, I’m going to hold on to my money till a 4K is available somehow.

I totally agree. A DVD makes no sense. I would suggest even a Blu Ray copy would be antiquated. While it is nice to have the physical copy for the graphics and photos, a high res version can easily be provided so that it may be viewed on televisions, iPads, or phones. As it stands, unless I want to pull out a DVD player, I won’t be able to watch this concert. Actually I would much rather have a high quality audio of the show so that I can listen to music on my phone, in my car, or home stereo. 

At this point we can only hope it's a mistake and it comes with Blu-ray BUT I doubt. Usually they are pretty good on the description. I don'r remember they ever making suck mistake. 

On 1/24/2020 at 7:24 PM, dmway said:

Yes, I have to concur - we should at a minimum have a BluRay option (I would have chosen that at once).

Now, I am quite happy (thrilled, in fact) with this gift in general; however, @handsomebob is right. In 2020, people mostly have BluRay players - today is not 15-20 years ago.

Well, at least we finally have the announcement.

I can barely write an email ...yes, that tech savvy. DVD works. 😎 

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, economicformula said:

I can barely write an email ...yes, that tech savvy. DVD works. 😎 

😄

...and I’m happy for those who are ok with a DVD. Shouldn’t those who would have preferred a BluRay (or beyond) have had the opportunity to be equally satisfied? We all pay the same dues. That was my point.

Heck, I would have paid a few extra dollars at the time of renewal to get the BluRay. Well, I’m still an optimist and hope this can be sorted out somehow. We’ll just have to see.