Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RonanGil

U2 Boy Album Cover

Hoping you can resolve a debate with a friend. He maintains there was once a pink coloured or tinted version of the Boy album cover on its release.  I can’t find any evidence of this.  True or False?

13 minutes ago, RonanGil said:

Hoping you can resolve a debate with a friend. He maintains there was once a pink coloured or tinted version of the Boy album cover on its release.  I can’t find any evidence of this.  True or False?

No mention of a pink/tinted version here:

https://www.u2songs.com/discography/u2_boy_original_release

They are quite good pointing out all of the different versions from all over the world. However, there are several potential explanations for a possible variant - e.g., there may have been a batch that was printed irregularly (thus, accounting for an altered appearance), or there were bootleg pressings made somewhere which had these peculiarities. However, it does appear that there were no intentional official printings of such an altered cover.

From what I can tell, unless your friend has a copy to show you, you win the debate.

P.S. I just scrolled through all 17(!) pages listed at that site.

Only on pages 4 and 12, referencing cassette versions of “Boy” released in France and Sweden, is there any mention of pink. If that was what your friend was referring to, then he was on to something (somewhat); if he was referring to a vinyl cover, no dice...