Madfl3a

#U2getherAtHome - Watch Along Virtual party to get through #SocialDistancing

#U2getherAtHome  

22 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. Which show would you like to watch ?

• U2 Live at Red Rocks
    • ZOO TV Live from Sydney
    • Elevation 2001 - Live from Boston
    • U2 Go Home - Live from Slane Castle
    • Vertigo Live from Chicago
    • Popmart live from Mexico City
    • U2360 at the Rose Bowl
    • U2 iNNOCENCE + eXPERIENCE Live in Paris

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/17/2020 at 06:00 PM

1 minute ago, Canadanne said:

If anyone's interested, these are all the ones I did manage to identify:

spacer.png

Well done!

Let's hope Zootopia behaves itself better next time! Glad it started working eventually. :) 

Thanks so much everyone for participating! I didn't do anything, we all did here tonight. You rock.

Sometimes it's all it takes to feel a tad bit better, good music, good company and a bubble pants.

Stay safe, stay home and see you very soon !

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, mich40 said:

I was at the Atlanta PopMart show the day/night that was Michael's funeral. It was absolutely gutting. Bono and all of us were crying.

Erm, not Popmart show,he died in 09 cause I lived in LA right by the Coroner and had to pass by the news vans on my way to work

24 minutes ago, Bajagirl said:

Erm, not Popmart show,he died in 09 cause I lived in LA right by the Coroner and had to pass by the news vans on my way to work

Michael Hutchence....not Michael Jackson. She was referring to Bono struggling to sing One because it was right after Michael Hutchence died. I had to think for a minute, as to who you were talking about. 

Posted (edited)

Sorry we couldn't make the thread while the rest of you were here, although it looks like we missed out on some site glitchiness, so maybe that was for the best.

I hope you'll accept a few belated thoughts on this tour because it was one of my favorite tours and the first one of theirs where I saw multiple shows (Dallas, Chicago #3, San Antonio, and Houston).

Rewatching the show I was struck by how truly awesome the screen was for it. Of course, I already knew that, but it was good to be reminded again. This tour also had one of my all-time favorite openings: Larry and Adam's "Mission: Impossible" theme song to announce that the festivities were about to begin (not on the DVD, tragically, but it was certainly played), then the scintillating "Pop Musik" remix, then the opener "Mofo" flowing into "I Will Follow" - easily one of the best starts to a show of all their tours. After finishing the show, I thought (yet again) that there need to be more "Pop" songs played on future tours (e.g., how has "Gone" gone on this long without being played again regularly?).

Another section I loved was "Please" flowing into "Streets" - that worked so well. The digital doves flapping on the screen, complete with trippy tracers, as "Streets" was ending is one of the images from that tour that sticks in my memory the most.

I have a few memories of each show:

Dallas

A tidy, little six-hour drive took me from my home in San Antonio to the Cotton Bowl in Dallas for the 7th show of the tour. This was the first show where they dropped the problematic "Do You Feel Loved" from the set - I love that song, but, if you have ever heard recordings of it from previous shows, I think they made the right decision; it just wasn't working. They also played "If God Will Send His Angels" - that's a personal fave of mine. The number of headliners I have seen open for U2 I have already lost count of - the headliner that night was...Rage Against The Machine.

On the first leg of the tour (and, I think, on the second leg in Europe as well), U2 had a "karaoke" section in the middle which they dropped on the 3rd leg onward (the Mexico City shows were on the 3rd leg). I still remember Bono racing out to the b-stage saying something along the lines of "let's get ready to rock" and tearing into that old classic rock chestnut..."Daydream Believer". 😆 It was very humorous.

Chicago (show #3)

I was at an academic conference at The University of Michigan in Ann Arbor, Michigan (for those who don't know the area, Ann Arbor is just west of Detroit). After it was over, I stayed for a few extra days for a vacation - a rock and roll vacation. 😎 The first two shows in Chicago were Friday and Saturday night, so obviously these two shows were sold out. However, this third show was on Sunday, so tickets remained. Do I drive all the way out to Chicago to see this show? Of course I do. Keep in mind, Ann Arbor to Chicago is a short flight, but not so short a drive (241 miles) - my insanity will be more fully revealed later when you learn that this round trip was only half of the lengthy driving I did before I flew back home.

Point of trivia! This was the very first concert ticket I ever bought on the Internet. I felt so futuristic. It's funny to think now that was ever a "new" thing. It was The Edge's turn on karaoke tonight: he channeled his best Tom Jones and belted out "It's Not Unusual" (also very humorous). The opening band was the Fun Lovin' Criminals (if you remember "Scooby Snacks", you remember the Criminals). I also remember "MLK" after "One" at the end of the show. If I had to guess why that got performed, I think it was a nod to The Peace Museum in Chicago, a visit to which by the band in the early 80s was directly responsible for the naming of the band's fourth album after they saw a display about Hiroshima (thus, "The Unforgettable Fire").

(The other bit of insane driving on this trip involved my driving to Toronto on the following day to see Rush perform in their hometown. Ann Arbor to Toronto is also a short flight, but not a short drive (a mere 280 miles). I saw the show, crashed in a Days Inn next to the old Maple Leaf Gardens, and drove back the next day (which, coincidentally enough, was July 1st, Canada Day). The morning before going to Toronto I was greeted by history live on CNN - the date was June 30, 1997: the historical significance of that day - that was the day that the UK gave Hong Kong back to China, presented live on TV. It was a dizzying couple of days. If the math-inclined members of the forum figured out that I drove a combined 1042 miles in 2 1/2 days just to see two concerts, you calculated correctly.)

San Antonio

Finally, my hometown show! Also very (and unfortunately) memorable. This was the band's very first show after Michael Hutchence's untimely death. The band was very shaken by it, especially Bono. They hastily put together a tribute on-screen for him. INXS/Australian-related songs were snippeted often (Never Tear Us Apart (twice), Waltzing Matilda (twice), Stayin' Alive (The Bee Gees being from Down Under too) - "Wake Up Dead Man" also performed after "One". Michael's shadow was hanging over the festivities - they still put on a great show (as they always do). I believe the opening band was Smashmouth (if so, we were "Walking On The Sun").

Houston

This show has a nice story attached to it. I was working as a teacher in inner-city San Antonio at the time. The class I had had for four straight years was just about to graduate (the tickets for this leg of PopMart went on sale in the spring). Unbeknownst to me, my students got me a "thank you" gift for our collective time together. They gave me a card and there was a ticket inside of it! A U2 ticket! (I think they figured out that I was a U2 fan because I wore my PopMart t-shirt to work the day after the Dallas show. In fact, they knew even before then.) At first, I was very concerned - I had told them that I already had a ticket for the San Antonio show. I thought they had gotten me another one. They saw my concern and asked me to look at the ticket more closely - of course, it was for the Houston show. They always did listen well. 😊 Easily, my most valued gift from any of my students.

"Never Tear Us Apart" and "Wake Up Dead Man" were played again - this was just a few days after the San Antonio show, so feelings were still raw. There was a moment of humor which lightened the mood - during "Bullet", after Bono sang his "100, 200, 300, 4" chant and swung his umbrella like a golf club, the top came off, leaving him with a small, naked handle in his hand. 😆 I have to give Bono credit; he soldiered on doing his best to pretend that nothing out of the ordinary had happened. This show was just a couple of stops before the Mexico City shows, so the DVD reminds me of the Houston show very much. (Extra note: the dates of the 3rd leg of the PopMart tour need correcting - the Houston show is listed as the second show in Atlanta; there was only one show in Atlanta, and Atlanta has never had an Astrodome. Also, I know that U2 is extremely talented; however, there is no way they played both Vancouver, BC in Canada and their first show in Mexico City on the same night - the Tours page here tries to claim otherwise; I'm calling bullsh*t.)

Thus ends my PopMart travelogue. 😎

I'm glad everyone had fun watching the show together. 👍

Edited by dmway
  • Like 1
  • Brilliant 1

Does anyone remember how much tickets for PopMart cost?   I can't find my stub.

10 hours ago, Madfl3a said:

It's make me kinda sad for him.

Makes me very sad for him every time I see a clip where Bono is playing the guitar.  

4 hours ago, Manohlive said:

Does anyone remember how much tickets for PopMart cost?   I can't find my stub.

From my handy dandy scrapbook of all my shows....a grand total of $59, and back when all tickets were the same price apparently because we were on the Floor for New Orleans and mid level seats for Atlanta. 
8DACE056-0061-43F0-8B90-60EB211A6FE8.jpeg

3FE86E9D-481D-4CF7-AE8E-ED290D4D7C27.jpeg

• Like 1