#U2getherAtHome - Watch Along Virtual party to get through #SocialDistancing

#U2getherAtHome  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Which show would you like to watch ?

• U2 Live at Red Rocks
    • ZOO TV Live from Sydney
    • Elevation 2001 - Live from Boston
    • U2 Go Home - Live from Slane Castle
    • Vertigo Live from Chicago
    • Popmart live from Mexico City
    • U2360 at the Rose Bowl
    • U2 iNNOCENCE + eXPERIENCE Live in Paris

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/17/2020 at 06:00 PM

• Subscriber
Posted (edited)
On 7/10/2020 at 1:27 AM, dmway said:

...and local showtimes for tomorrow are the same as last time. 😎

Since we are virtually at the day of our collective viewing of Rattle & Hum, I will follow my customary routine of giving thoughts about the show I saw on the JT tour (Syracuse, NY - Oct. 9, 1987 - coincidentally, one of the most successfully booted shows of that leg of the tour 😄 (no, I was not one of the sources for any of them)), and for the first time I saw the movie in the theater (sometime in the autumn of 1988 in State College, PA). It was a good time for our band and to be a U2 fan. 😎

...and now to deliver on what I promised. As with all of my other write-ups, I had always hoped that others would join in to give their memories of the shows (thank you again to @Madfl3a for writing hers about the i&e Paris show).

OK - the Syracuse show - October 9, 1987:

I had a friend from high school who was studying at Syracuse at the time; he was a year behind me and I was friends with his older brother who was in my year. Anyway, he found out that U2 was coming to town and he got in touch with me and one other friend from our hometown to come up for the show. Of course, we immediately said "yes"! So, on the day of the show (which was a Friday), we drove up from the suburbs of Philadelphia to upstate NY to treat our ears to the very best live music that the world had to offer, then and now (studio music too).

Here is the link to the show on the site:

https://www.u2.com/tour/date/3915

There were three acts that went on-stage before U2 went on. They are listed at that link as "Little Steven, The Disciples of Soul, Los Lobos" - and that list is somewhat correct. However, since I am 99.99% sure that The Disciples Of Soul were Little Steven's backing band, there should be a "&" instead of the comma between them. The first act was a local act who, I'm sure, was absolutely mind-blown to be playing a place as large as the Carrier Dome. (This is Syracuse's football/basketball stadium, and it's more properly sized for football.) Los Lobos were great (they continued to be a great band for a long time after; in fact, I saw them again 10 years later in Austin, TX when they were the headliners). Little Steven was great as well - of course, everyone knew him from The E Street Band, but this was the first tour where he was out on his own. Bono and he had worked together on the "Artists United Against Apartheid" project back in 1985 which resulted in the song "Sun City". That project also set in motion the chain of events that would culminate in the following year's "A Conspiracy Of Hope" tour of the US in cooperation with Amnesty International. Many of the artists who performed on that song played/appeared on that tour - people such as Miles Davis, Lou Reed, Peter Gabriel, Jackson Browne, Daryl Hannah, among many others (more details here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Artists_United_Against_Apartheid ) - the subsequent Amnesty International tour in 1986, coincidentally, was the first time I saw U2 - this Carrier Dome show was the 2nd time.)

Well, when the opening strains of "Streets" began at the beginning of the show, the stadium lifted off. It can be strange to think that they used to open shows with the song, but they did - just as the JT album itself started with the song. Bono also went off on an extemporaneous riff at the end of one of the songs which incorporated a mention of the Carrier Dome - I'd have to check out the recording to remember which song it was. They played "October" during this show in October - it made it seem even more special. And, of course, I got to experience "40" live for the first time. It was always a special closer; however, since everyone had already seen the Red Rocks show about 1,000 times each, hearing the crowd chant "...HOW LONG TO SING THIS SONG..." in imitation of it inside that cavernous stadium was an awesome experience. Of course, the rest of the set was incredible too; it was just a perfect night.

We stayed until Sunday before driving back (I seem to remember a few Guinness were consumed after the show and on Saturday night). Just a great night and weekend! 👍

Memories of the film in the next post...

Edited by dmway
  • Brilliant 1
  • Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Welcome guys to this new thread that will hopefully be filled with laughter and conversations and will turn into a nice chapter of the zootopians resilience. ✌️   Ghost towns are emerging al

Long post...but as many know, Rattle and Hum means the world to me, and I’m sharing this for probably the 269th time.  Gloria drew me in in 1983 and I was a fairly casual fan until 1988. But I wo

People seemed to enjoy my scrapbook pages. Here’s my pages for my Vertigo shows. 

Posted Images

• Community Moderator

Long post...but as many know, Rattle and Hum means the world to me, and I’m sharing this for probably the 269th time. 

Gloria drew me in in 1983 and I was a fairly casual fan until 1988. But I worked at a movie theater when the movie came out and as the saying goes, the rest was history. I remember we got the trailers in to promote the movie and there were several of us that were curious to see what it was all about, so after we added it to one of the movies, we went down into the theater to watch it. We had it set up on our biggest screen and I will never forget the feeling that came over me as I watched it. Complete awe and amazement and chills down my spine and I couldn’t wait for the movie to come out in November. For those who don’t remember or never saw the preview, here is what instantly grabbed me: 

Fast forward to November 2nd of 1988. When movies came into the theater, the reels came in in canisters and you has to “build” the movie. Sometimes we “needed” to check to make sure that the movie was built properly and a few would watch it before opening day. This was one of those movies. I fell head over heels in love with the movie and band that day... I have a picture of the movie in the platter, but I’m having trouble putting my hands on it right now, but it’s neat because you can tell the difference in the one color reel.

Normally at that time, I worked in the concession stand, but opening night, I got to run the Rattle and Hum merchandise booth, where we sold things like you would see at a concert. I felt so privileged to run the booth, which makes me laugh now. Bonus was that I got to wear my Rattle and Hum T-shirt instead of my normal uniform.

One of the perks of working at a movie theater at the time was that you could “claim” promo material. We had a giant 4 panel standee with photos of each member on each panel. I had “claimed” it and one day one of the assistant managers had sold it to someone for $300. 😭🤬 I actually ran into him last year and he said, “Remember that time I sold your U2 standee and you wanted to kill me” and I replied with “I still do”. So, unless it met an untimely death, someone out there has a standee that says in big letters on the back “THIS BELONGS TO MICHELLE”. The manager at the time was so mad at him too, and in 1993 when I finally turned in my keys, he gifted me the banner he had saved. (It’s a bit wrinkled because it’s about 10 feet long and I don’t keep it out at the moment.)

851FC338-DD64-48B3-96D9-DE5E6A1EEE52.jpeg

Other memorabilia I acquired at the time was the one sheet which hangs on my U2 wall:

94FA3190-9B44-4479-A8E7-02455FCB97F9.jpeg

And one of the previews that one of the managers gifted to me:

B001BD74-71DE-462D-BCC1-CCB2EA5643BA.jpeg

And just like my concerts, I have a scrapbook page for the movie:

AD530094-685E-4EEF-A935-0638AFAC329F.jpeg

Most importantly about my memories and love of Rattle and Hum is that this movie gave me my best friend of 32 years. Up until this point, we had worked together for a few months and I thought she hated me and she thought I hated her, but one day we took our break together and sat in on the movie during Bad and Streets and have been friends ever since. 

All in all, I don’t know how many times I actually watched that movie in the month that we had it, but it was a lot; and even more for that tiny section during break time. I would even volunteer to help clean theaters so I could hear All I Want Is You in the closing credits. 

And if anyone ever wondered where my adoration for Larry started, it all started with “it’s a musical journey.”

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1
  • Brilliant 2
  • Subscriber

This is suuuch a great story! Thanks for sharing Mich (and yes I missed the first 269 times 😁

• Subscriber
54 minutes ago, seresere said:

This is my "Italian version" :)

20191029-221222-S.jpg

20191029-223958-S.jpg

I hope I can join the party :)

Please do! The more the merrier 😁😁😁

• Like 1
  • Community Moderator
3 minutes ago, Madfl3a said:

Please do! The more the merrier 😁😁😁

What she said....

2 hours ago, mich40 said:

So, unless it met an untimely death, someone out there has a standee that says in big letters on the back “THIS BELONGS TO MICHELLE”.

Wait so your standee had that written on it and the manager still sold it?? How does that happen??? 

• Subscriber
4 minutes ago, mich40 said:

What she said....

(I brought way too much popcorn. Can't eat it all by myself!) 

• Subscriber

YAAAAAAY! More reviews than just mine! 😄 Thank you, @mich40 , for writing all that - R&H, obviously, will always be extra special for you!

OK - part 2 of my review in advance of our watching the movie - part 1 above.

I'm glad that Mich posted the exact release date for the film because I couldn't recall when exactly in 1988 that the film came out (it did happen a while ago - 32 years ago seems impossible, but the math doesn't lie) - now we all know; it was in November! So, since State College didn't normally get first-run films, that means I saw the film sometime between mid-November to early December 1988. The album/CD was released before the movie - I got that on the first day of release in October. In fact, I got it during a break in the middle of the school day and brought it with me to class - one of my classmates saw me admiring it and asked if he could see it too. Yes, a new U2 album had that kind of numinous presence about it, then and now. 😎

Anyway, a friend from across the hall in our dorm was as big a U2 fan as I was. So, there was an afternoon we both had no classes (this was my junior year in college, by the way, for those who are keeping score at home) - so, we both put on our still relatively new JT tour shirts and went to the show. The theater we went to had matinee shows, which were convenient for two reasons: they were discounted (always important for the finances of college students), and they were less likely to be overly full. There were just a handful of die-hard U2 fans there, so we could pick whatever seat we wanted, sit back, and enjoy the show!

Well, the performances on it are just visual and sonic treasures for a U2 fan. A few highlights for me: the behind-the-scenes moments with B.B. King (they actually had a working relationship with B.B. King at that stage of their career - amazing!), the scene where The Edge slides down the hillside by the banks of the Mississippi (that was/is in Memphis, not all that far from Beale Street, the big music club strip in Memphis - I got to imitate The Edge's slide on that hillside myself in the early 90s), the band visiting Graceland and Larry's special moment with Elvis' Harley (I have to admit that their visit to Graceland at least mildly inspired me to go myself - in fact, I have been there twice; I recommend going if you have never gone), the switch from black-and-white to color for "The Star Spangled Banner"/"Bullet The Blue Sky", and of course that legendary performance of "Sunday Bloody Sunday" - it still must be considered its definitive performance.

The Beatles and the Stones' songs are featured in parts and they blend well with the band's repertoire. AIWIY playing as the credits rolled guaranteed that every fan would stay until the very last second,

A final thought about it: I wish the band hadn't so readily agreed with the criticisms leveled against the film. It was exactly the right time to make such a film, it had whole lot that a U2 fan would have wanted in such a film at the time, and it was both touching and entertaining. They didn't, and still don't, have anything to apologize for.

So, let's watch our band steal a song back for The Beatles, play a show to "Save The Yuppie", watch Bono charm a Graceland host into letting Larry sit on one of The King's motorcycles, and generally celebrate U2's exploration of America at the time. If that isn't a musical journey, I don't know what is.

• Brilliant 1
  • Subscriber

Hmmm... We can't ask what that's song?... Anyone has any idea what's that movie trailer? (there were trailers right? I'm clueless 😂

• bigwave locked this topic
  • bigwave unfeatured this topic