#U2getherAtHome - Watch Along Virtual party to get through #SocialDistancing

#U2getherAtHome  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Which show would you like to watch ?

• U2 Live at Red Rocks
    • ZOO TV Live from Sydney
    • Elevation 2001 - Live from Boston
    • U2 Go Home - Live from Slane Castle
    • Vertigo Live from Chicago
    • Popmart live from Mexico City
    • U2360 at the Rose Bowl
    • U2 iNNOCENCE + eXPERIENCE Live in Paris

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/17/2020 at 06:00 PM

• Community Moderator

This was fun and went way too fast. Stay safe, everyone. 

• Like 2
  • Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Welcome guys to this new thread that will hopefully be filled with laughter and conversations and will turn into a nice chapter of the zootopians resilience. ✌️   Ghost towns are emerging al

Long post...but as many know, Rattle and Hum means the world to me, and I’m sharing this for probably the 269th time.  Gloria drew me in in 1983 and I was a fairly casual fan until 1988. But I wo

People seemed to enjoy my scrapbook pages. Here’s my pages for my Vertigo shows. 

Posted Images

• Community Moderator

@Madfl3a, I have to correct myself. I went back and watched the interview bit. Edge hits his own leg once, but he does hit Larry a time before that...I guess he learned after that, not to do it again. 😂

• Thanks 1
  • Subscriber
1 hour ago, Madfl3a said:

Someone knows why the red color? I've always wondered and be too lazy to look it up. 

I thought it was meant to be like a sunrise, which is very fitting as it often follows the "darkness" songs.

• Subscriber
55 minutes ago, mich40 said:

@Madfl3a, I have to correct myself. I went back and watched the interview bit. Edge hits his own leg once, but he does hit Larry a time before that...I guess he learned after that, not to do it again. 😂

Haaaaa! Thanks! I wasn't hallucinating (yet) then! 

• Haha 1
  • Subscriber
Posted (edited)

It's time for me to talk about my memories:😃

In 1988, I was only 7 years old; that means I only started being a U2 fan much later. But one thing I can say for sure is that Rattle and Hum is where everything started. To be more specific, 2000 was the year.

I was living with my sister, brother and cousin in Porto Alegre (the biggest city in Southern Brazil). We were all living there because we were studying at a Federal University, except for my cousin (who was taking a course to pass the “SAT” these Federal Universities require - which he, unfortunately, did not pass by the way. He had to go to a Private/Payed one). He was having a History Class on Saturday and that was about Ireland’s history. He invited me to go with him and I accepted the invitation. In the middle of the class, the teacher showed a part of the Rattle and Hum DVD: “Sunday Bloody Sunday”. When I heard the power of that song, especially Bono’s speech, I suddenly felt something in my heart that I could not explain (maybe I was Irish in a past life). U2 had me at “F the revolution”! 😆

Always working a lot and studying, I did not have much time for music, but, some time later, when I had already graduated, my ex-husband (who was only my boyfriend at the time) suggested me to rent Rattle and Hum, which I did and, after that, I JUST WAS NOT THE SAME PERSON ANYMORE!

Edited by andryu2
correction
  • Like 2
  • Brilliant 3
  • Subscriber

I wish the pages in this thread were numbered!!  Try going back to find a comment!-nearly impossible!!

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, hillpy2 said:

I wish the pages in this thread were numbered!!  Try going back to find a comment!-nearly impossible!!

Well, there are numbers at the bottom here - you mean like a fresh numbering for each DVD we watched? That would be a nice thing.

Maybe when we finish watching them all we could collectively make a "table of contents" for each disc and post it at the end of the thread.

• Subscriber
17 minutes ago, andryu2 said:

It's time for me to talk about my memories:😃

In 1988, I was only 7 years old; that means I only started being a U2 fan much later. But one thing I can say for sure is that Rattle and Hum is where everything started. To be more specific, 2000 was the year.

I was living with my sister, brother and cousin in Porto Alegre (the biggest city in Southern Brazil). We were all living there because we were studying at a Federal University, except for my cousin (who was taking a course to pass the “SAT” these Federal Universities require - which he, unfortunately, did not pass by the way. He had to go to a Private/Payed one). He was having a History Class on Saturday and that was about Ireland’s history. He invited me to go with him and I accepted the invitation. In the middle of the class, the teacher showed a part of the Rattle and Hum DVD: “Sunday Bloody Sunday”. When I heard the power of that song, especially Bono’s speech, I suddenly felt something in my heart that I could not explain (maybe I was Irish in a past life). U2 had me at “F the revolution”! 😆

Always working a lot and studying, I did not have much time for music, but, some time later, when I had already graduated, my ex-husband (who was only my boyfriend at the time) suggested me to rent Rattle and Hum, which I did and, after that, I JUST WAS NOT THE SAME PERSON ANYMORE!

Those are great memories! Thank you for telling us all this.

I'm sure there are many who discovered R&H belatedly, and yet it still ended up being deeply meaningful. It would be good to hear more stories; thanks again for telling us yours! 😊

• Like 1
  • Subscriber
18 hours ago, mich40 said:

Long post...but as many know, Rattle and Hum means the world to me, and I’m sharing this for probably the 269th time. 

Gloria drew me in in 1983 and I was a fairly casual fan until 1988. But I worked at a movie theater when the movie came out and as the saying goes, the rest was history. I remember we got the trailers in to promote the movie and there were several of us that were curious to see what it was all about, so after we added it to one of the movies, we went down into the theater to watch it. We had it set up on our biggest screen and I will never forget the feeling that came over me as I watched it. Complete awe and amazement and chills down my spine and I couldn’t wait for the movie to come out in November. For those who don’t remember or never saw the preview, here is what instantly grabbed me: 

Fast forward to November 2nd of 1988. When movies came into the theater, the reels came in in canisters and you has to “build” the movie. Sometimes we “needed” to check to make sure that the movie was built properly and a few would watch it before opening day. This was one of those movies. I fell head over heels in love with the movie and band that day... I have a picture of the movie in the platter, but I’m having trouble putting my hands on it right now, but it’s neat because you can tell the difference in the one color reel.

Normally at that time, I worked in the concession stand, but opening night, I got to run the Rattle and Hum merchandise booth, where we sold things like you would see at a concert. I felt so privileged to run the booth, which makes me laugh now. Bonus was that I got to wear my Rattle and Hum T-shirt instead of my normal uniform.

One of the perks of working at a movie theater at the time was that you could “claim” promo material. We had a giant 4 panel standee with photos of each member on each panel. I had “claimed” it and one day one of the assistant managers had sold it to someone for $300. 😭🤬 I actually ran into him last year and he said, “Remember that time I sold your U2 standee and you wanted to kill me” and I replied with “I still do”. So, unless it met an untimely death, someone out there has a standee that says in big letters on the back “THIS BELONGS TO MICHELLE”. The manager at the time was so mad at him too, and in 1993 when I finally turned in my keys, he gifted me the banner he had saved. (It’s a bit wrinkled because it’s about 10 feet long and I don’t keep it out at the moment.)

851FC338-DD64-48B3-96D9-DE5E6A1EEE52.jpeg

Other memorabilia I acquired at the time was the one sheet which hangs on my U2 wall:

94FA3190-9B44-4479-A8E7-02455FCB97F9.jpeg

And one of the previews that one of the managers gifted to me:

B001BD74-71DE-462D-BCC1-CCB2EA5643BA.jpeg

And just like my concerts, I have a scrapbook page for the movie:

AD530094-685E-4EEF-A935-0638AFAC329F.jpeg

Most importantly about my memories and love of Rattle and Hum is that this movie gave me my best friend of 32 years. Up until this point, we had worked together for a few months and I thought she hated me and she thought I hated her, but one day we took our break together and sat in on the movie during Bad and Streets and have been friends ever since. 

All in all, I don’t know how many times I actually watched that movie in the month that we had it, but it was a lot; and even more for that tiny section during break time. I would even volunteer to help clean theaters so I could hear All I Want Is You in the closing credits. 

And if anyone ever wondered where my adoration for Larry started, it all started with “it’s a musical journey.”

Brilliant Mich, brilliant.

Sadly, i never did see R&H at the movies. I don’t remember why.

Maybe it didn’t come to my city (though I was a poor university student when it was released, maybe I just couldn’t afford it ) 

• Thanks 1
  • Subscriber

I did not saw R&H in the movies either, later was able to record it as VHS from tv.

8.8.1997 the day before Popmart gig in Helsinki, there was a pop-up (was there such a word 1997?) outdoor cinema. To warming up for the next day, R&H was shown.

• bigwave locked this topic
  • bigwave unfeatured this topic