Madfl3a

#U2getherAtHome - Watch Along Virtual party to get through #SocialDistancing

#U2getherAtHome  

22 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. Which show would you like to watch ?

• U2 Live at Red Rocks
    • ZOO TV Live from Sydney
    • Elevation 2001 - Live from Boston
    • U2 Go Home - Live from Slane Castle
    • Vertigo Live from Chicago
    • Popmart live from Mexico City
    • U2360 at the Rose Bowl
    • U2 iNNOCENCE + eXPERIENCE Live in Paris

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/17/2020 at 06:00 PM

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, mich40 said:

The “whole lot of Interference” was added as an Easter Egg on the Live in Sydney dvd. Not easy to get to at all, but this atU2 article walks you through how to get to it. https://www.atu2.com/news/u2-lists-top-10-u2-dvd-easter-eggs.html

It was/is more easily accessible in a newer release, which I’m currently trying to locate. When I do, I will update. 

Thank you for the information about the "Easter Egg" - I never knew about that. (Although I thought the whole easter egg idea was a little bit silly - if you have stuff on a DVD for your fans, what's the point in hiding it? 🤷‍♂️) I suppose letting it be hidden for a while could be seen as fun in the short-term; however, the bands should let people know about them after a certain length of time.

A lot of the stuff on that "Interference" VHS tape was on the 3rd DVD of the AB Super Deluxe sets. The videos, of course, were on the the 1st DVD, but most/all of the rest is on that 3rd DVD. There may be a few bits unique to the "Interference" tape, but most bits made it to that DVD.

Edited by dmway

On 7/11/2020 at 5:32 PM, mich40 said:

I really hate that the critics couldn’t see this film for what it really was. Shame on them. And I hope the band realize that even if the critics didn’t get it, the fans did and are most thankful for it. 

14 hours ago, Manohlive said:

I'm sitting here telling myself that it's too late to watch the DVD right now or I'll get evicted.  Anyone who criticizes this film should have to be a rabid U2 fan or remain silent. 

Yes, I agree - I said the same thing back on pg. 180 of this thread before we started watching:

On 7/11/2020 at 3:17 PM, dmway said:

A final thought about it: I wish the band hadn't so readily agreed with the criticisms leveled against the film. It was exactly the right time to make such a film, it had whole lot that a U2 fan would have wanted in such a film at the time, and it was both touching and entertaining. They didn't, and still don't, have anything to apologize for.

So, let's watch our band steal a song back for The Beatles, play a show to "Save The Yuppie", watch Bono charm a Graceland host into letting Larry sit on one of The King's motorcycles, and generally celebrate U2's exploration of America at the time. If that isn't a musical journey, I don't know what is.

It's just a great film, then and now - end of discussion.

6 minutes ago, dmway said:

A lot of the stuff on that "Interference" VHS tape was on the 3rd DVD of the AB Super Deluxe sets. The videos, of course, were on the the 1st DVD, but most/all of the rest is on that 3rd DVD. There may be a few bits unique to the "Interference" tape, but most bits made it to that DVD.

That’s what I originally thought this morning, but when I pulled it out, I didn’t see it labeled as such. When I have a few minutes later, I’ll pull it out again and actually watch it. 

8 minutes ago, dmway said:

Go back to pg. 166 and read all the posts there for the explanation. 😄 I got inadvertently roped into curating the Paris 1987 DVD which then got extended to performing the same emcee duties for R&H. My statement about the "hairy eyeball" was facetious - both viewings went well and were very enjoyable experiences.

Someday @Madfl3a will take the reins again, but it was fun doing the last two. 👍

I knew it wasn't meant nastily, dmway.  I was being a bit of shit and teasing.   Pandemic lunacy.   I had to google hairy eyeball. (never heard that expression)  It sounded like a old grape that somehow feel into the recesses of my refrigerator and slowly started growing.   

On 7/11/2020 at 9:16 PM, hillpy2 said:

I wish the pages in this thread were numbered!!  Try going back to find a comment!-nearly impossible!!

On 7/11/2020 at 9:19 PM, dmway said:

Well, there are numbers at the bottom here - you mean like a fresh numbering for each DVD we watched? That would be a nice thing.

Maybe when we finish watching them all we could collectively make a "table of contents" for each disc and post it at the end of the thread.

If I get time later this week, I may create this "table of contents" I referred above. I remember our collective DVD viewings, independent of streams from U2.com, began with "POPMart" in Mexico City and they continued until this past Saturday with R&H.

I'll let you know when I get around to it. 👍

• Like 1

On 7/11/2020 at 3:17 PM, dmway said:

YAAAAAAY! More reviews than just mine! 😄 Thank you, @mich40 , for writing all that - R&H, obviously, will always be extra special for you!

OK - part 2 of my review in advance of our watching the movie - part 1 above.

I'm glad that Mich posted the exact release date for the film because I couldn't recall when exactly in 1988 that the film came out (it did happen a while ago - 32 years ago seems impossible, but the math doesn't lie) - now we all know; it was in November! So, since State College didn't normally get first-run films, that means I saw the film sometime between mid-November to early December 1988. The album/CD was released before the movie - I got that on the first day of release in October. In fact, I got it during a break in the middle of the school day and brought it with me to class - one of my classmates saw me admiring it and asked if he could see it too. Yes, a new U2 album had that kind of numinous presence about it, then and now. 😎

Anyway, a friend from across the hall in our dorm was as big a U2 fan as I was. So, there was an afternoon we both had no classes (this was my junior year in college, by the way, for those who are keeping score at home) - so, we both put on our still relatively new JT tour shirts and went to the show. The theater we went to had matinee shows, which were convenient for two reasons: they were discounted (always important for the finances of college students), and they were less likely to be overly full. There were just a handful of die-hard U2 fans there, so we could pick whatever seat we wanted, sit back, and enjoy the show!

Well, the performances on it are just visual and sonic treasures for a U2 fan. A few highlights for me: the behind-the-scenes moments with B.B. King (they actually had a working relationship with B.B. King at that stage of their career - amazing!), the scene where The Edge slides down the hillside by the banks of the Mississippi (that was/is in Memphis, not all that far from Beale Street, the big music club strip in Memphis - I got to imitate The Edge's slide on that hillside myself in the early 90s), the band visiting Graceland and Larry's special moment with Elvis' Harley (I have to admit that their visit to Graceland at least mildly inspired me to go myself - in fact, I have been there twice; I recommend going if you have never gone), the switch from black-and-white to color for "The Star Spangled Banner"/"Bullet The Blue Sky", and of course that legendary performance of "Sunday Bloody Sunday" - it still must be considered its definitive performance.

The Beatles and the Stones' songs are featured in parts and they blend well with the band's repertoire. AIWIY playing as the credits rolled guaranteed that every fan would stay until the very last second,

A final thought about it: I wish the band hadn't so readily agreed with the criticisms leveled against the film. It was exactly the right time to make such a film, it had whole lot that a U2 fan would have wanted in such a film at the time, and it was both touching and entertaining. They didn't, and still don't, have anything to apologize for.

So, let's watch our band steal a song back for The Beatles, play a show to "Save The Yuppie", watch Bono charm a Graceland host into letting Larry sit on one of The King's motorcycles, and generally celebrate U2's exploration of America at the time. If that isn't a musical journey, I don't know what is.

I meant to add a P.S. to this post on Saturday, but I was short of time at the time.

After my friend and I had finished watching the film, we were all charged up in the same way we would be after seeing an actual U2 show. So, we excitedly exited the theater to collectively celebrate with thousands of other U2 fans, when suddenly...we were just out in an ordinary late afternoon with a small handful of others. Slightly anticlimactic, but we had the joyful post-concert glow for the rest of the day.

We may have even seen it again in January after we came back from Xmas vacation; however, I can't remember that for sure. In any case, I sure saw it enough when it came out on VHS. 😎

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Manohlive said:

I knew it wasn't meant nastily, dmway.  I was being a bit of shit and teasing.   Pandemic lunacy.   I had to google hairy eyeball. (never heard that expression)  It sounded like a old grape that somehow feel into the recesses of my refrigerator and slowly started growing.   

"Hairy eyeball" is an exact description of the other word used to describe this kind of look: supercilious. The word sounds like it should mean something that is extra silly; however, it comes from two Latin words, super ("above") and cilium ("eyebrow"). So, when you raise your gaze with an added lowered eyebrow into a supercilious expression, you very literally have a "hairy eyeball". Thus, the expression.

Thus endeth the vocabulary lesson. 📚

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, mich40 said:

That’s what I originally thought this morning, but when I pulled it out, I didn’t see it labeled as such. When I have a few minutes later, I’ll pull it out again and actually watch it. 

And I’m glad that I wasn’t crazy this morning....the Interference bits in between the videos is listed as MTV Rockumentary on the 3rd Bonus disc, as you said, @dmway  It was nice to sit down and watch that just now...even if there were several other things I should have been doing. Confession: I have a squirrel. Its name is U2. 😝

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mich40 said:

And I’m glad that I wasn’t crazy this morning....the Interference bits in between the videos is listed as MTV Rockumentary on the 3rd Bonus disc, as you said, @dmway  It was nice to sit down and watch that just now...even if there were several other things I should have been doing. Confession: I have a squirrel. Its name is U2. 😝

Yes, I was pretty sure that I had remembered correctly. Before the AB Super Deluxe sets came out, I was always pining for the “Interference” VHS to be upgraded to DVD. It never was...until the AB sets! 😎

Mission accomplished. 🎸

• Like 1