#U2getherAtHome - Watch Along Virtual party to get through #SocialDistancing

#U2getherAtHome  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Which show would you like to watch ?

• U2 Live at Red Rocks
    • ZOO TV Live from Sydney
    • Elevation 2001 - Live from Boston
    • U2 Go Home - Live from Slane Castle
    • Vertigo Live from Chicago
    • Popmart live from Mexico City
    • U2360 at the Rose Bowl
    • U2 iNNOCENCE + eXPERIENCE Live in Paris

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/17/2020 at 06:00 PM

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Welcome guys to this new thread that will hopefully be filled with laughter and conversations and will turn into a nice chapter of the zootopians resilience. ✌️   Ghost towns are emerging al

Long post...but as many know, Rattle and Hum means the world to me, and I’m sharing this for probably the 269th time.  Gloria drew me in in 1983 and I was a fairly casual fan until 1988. But I wo

People seemed to enjoy my scrapbook pages. Here’s my pages for my Vertigo shows. 

Posted Images

• Subscriber
4 hours ago, Madfl3a said:

Boots has such an incredible energy to move big crowds. Talk about rock n roll. Holy bananas.

I agree, and yet some people still complain about that song. I just don't get it. 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1
  • Subscriber
4 hours ago, Max Tsukino said:

between Arnold and Danny de Vito... 😳 🤣

I also like that Larry, according to Bono, faked his own death in 1955. This detail really ought to be mentioned more in U2 biographies...

• Like 1
  • Subscriber
8 hours ago, Max Tsukino said:

No Line on the Horizon... all the love in the world for this song and this album...

8 hours ago, mich40 said:

TOTALLY AGREE.

Thirded, fourthed, wherever I would be on the list. I loved it when it was new and I still love that album.

Edited by dmway
  • Like 1
  • Subscriber

A few more thoughts on this DVD (and tour) with more time to digest watching it again...

I'll start with the tour. Had I still been in the US at the time, I would have gorged on this tour like I had on the previous two tours (6 Elevation tour shows; 5 (possibly 6) Vertigo tour shows). However, I had the relative misfortune of being in the UK at the time and "merely" saw 3 (both London shows and the Cardiff show, the latter being the 2009 European tour finale and a home country show for The Edge - note as well I only say "relative misfortune" because of the dearth of UK U2360 shows; my time overall in the UK was very pleasant).

U2 intentionally underplayed the UK because of the extreme myopia of the FA (the Football Association in the UK). Not only would they not let them play at Premier League stadiums, they wouldn't let them play at Championship stadiums either (these are the top two divisions of English/British football - the FA was afraid that the "Claw" would damage their sensitive pitches 🙄. U2, of course, would have taken proper precautions; the FA were just being buttheads. If you were in the UK and wondered why cities like Manchester, Liverpool, Newcastle, and Birmingham didn't get a U2360 show, but a cities like Sheffield and Cardiff did, now you know why). The 3 shows I saw, of course, were great (the 2nd London show and the Cardiff show were especially good). The Sheffield show was broadcast live all over the UK on the radio and the Internet. Europe and North America got multiple legs of this seemingly never-ending tour; the British Isles got just the one (including Ireland, which kind of stinks). I guess the Glastonbury appearance in 2011 ameliorated things somewhat, if you had a high tolerance for mud. (I'm glad it was televised, as it always is - may the festival happen again on 2021.)

Now, the DVD/BluRay...I have to admit that I have a love/dislike relationship with this disc (I could never use the word "hate" with a U2 product; thus, "love/dislike"). The actual show is, of course, excellent. It's a great show with a great setlist and excellent band performances; however, I wish they had had a different director. The primary job of a recorded show for purchase/broadcast is to make you feel like you are actually in the audience at the show. Thus, visual gimmicks really ought to be kept to a minimum; a person at the show wouldn't see quick edits from multiple angles and a plethora of other visual effects (not without strong chemical assistance anyway). Having these confirm that you are watching a film of the show, not maximizing the possibility of having the experience of being at the show vicariously.

The animated "Zooropa Space Baby" sections are nice, but once you have seen them, you have seen them. I find them a bit intrusive now. I'd gladly trade the opening animation for the live performance of "Breathe" appearing where it should at the beginning of the show when it was actually played, and not as a bonus track on a different disc (and only existing in stereo, unlike the rest of the show which is available in stereo and 5.1). "Breathe" was a kick-ass opening song; it should have stayed there (and it should come back on future tours - it's great musically and its lyrics are especially timely now). Since Bono had a "suit of lights" on "Ultraviolet" (one of my favorite songs from the tour) I wish they had been able to work in a song like "Gone" too, but that's just a niggle. I also wasn't in love with "Moment Of Surrender" as a show closer. Now, don't get me wrong - MOS is one of my favorite songs from NLOTH; I just would have rather it closed the main set and not the encore. MOS is truly excellent, but it's not "40", "Love Is Blindness", or "One" (or even "Walk On" which I think works as a show-closer better than MOS). At the three shows I saw, people walked out on it - that made me sad. They were hoping for something else - I had to agree. I loved the performance of it, and they always played it well; I just wish it had appeared earlier.

BUT, the good bits are great! For example, "Unknown Caller" always gave me chills (another song that needs to come back to the setlist). NLOTH's title track always made me happy too. The IGCIIDGCT/SBS section was one of my favorite parts of the show. And that stage...what a stage! How do you make a stadium show feel like an arena show? With a Claw, that's how. 😎

One last observation: with a tour that went on as long as it did, it would be nice to have another show from that tour, esp. a show from the 2011 dates where they really changed up the setlist. Was another one filmed besides the Glastonbury performance? Heck, I'd be thrilled with a commercial release of just that show in full. One can hope...

• Confused 1
  • Subscriber

@xrayjets , you made me laugh with your reaction to my last post! Thank you for that reaction! 😄

I'll summarize my feeling of the whole era more succinctly:

As Charles Dickens once wrote, "It was the best of times. It was the worst of times," (although the "worst" in this case was still really, really good)

I loved NLOTH when it first came out, I still love it, and I will always love it.

The tour and subsequent DVD/BluRay release gave me mixed feelings; however, still, on balance, both were/are mostly very good. Re-watching the disc brought back all of the feelings of that era for me; that's why I felt compelled to spell out what I did above. It was/is like the old expression in reverse: instead of "every dark cloud has a silver lining", the very large and prominent silver lining had a little dark cloud with it - but the silver lining was always the ultimate winner. 👍

Edited by dmway
  • Upvote 1
  • Subscriber
16 hours ago, Madfl3a said:

A fly just landed on my laptop and I got weirdly excited. About ZooTv that is. Is that bad 'Doc ?

it's going to be so cold the daffodils blooming might not make it by me tonight.  I'll take the fly.

• Haha 1
  • mich40 locked this topic
  • mich40 unfeatured this topic
  • mich40 unpinned this topic