Madfl3a

#U2getherAtHome - Watch Along Virtual party to get through #SocialDistancing

#U2getherAtHome  

22 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. Which show would you like to watch ?

• U2 Live at Red Rocks
    • ZOO TV Live from Sydney
    • Elevation 2001 - Live from Boston
    • U2 Go Home - Live from Slane Castle
    • Vertigo Live from Chicago
    • Popmart live from Mexico City
    • U2360 at the Rose Bowl
    • U2 iNNOCENCE + eXPERIENCE Live in Paris

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/17/2020 at 06:00 PM

1 minute ago, sukhjitkamal said:

What DVDs have been watched so far? Would be awesome if u2.com streamed the other releases in 1080p like they did for ZOO TV.

We did PopMart / Vertigo / 360

Posted (edited)

OK - as I was unable to join the live stream, I'll post a few thoughts belatedly here as I did for the last couple of show viewings.

First, it was great to see so many people partake of the stream, especially so many who hadn't seen the show, either in person or on VHS/DVD, before. I saw this thought expressed more than once too: yes, you are right - if time machines ever become a reality, this is the tour to go back to see. They were unarguably the biggest band in the world on this tour - U2 devotees knew it, casual fans knew it, even non-fans would have had to begrudgingly concede the fact. (Frankly, I don't understand "non-fans", but they exist somehow, then and now.) In a nutshell, they reinvented the stadium concert. Acts capable of filling stadiums imitated them (most notably, The Rolling Stones) - b-stages became the new normal afterwards; ZooTV was the trailblazer. Of course, the mainstage was an unprecedented feast for the eyes too - you can see how the movie "Blade Runner" was one of the inspirations for it; another was the constant TV coverage on cable news of the first Gulf War, which was recent history then (this, of course, is most easily seen on the performance of "Bullet The Blue Sky").

I guess to take in the whole era you have to go back to the release of "Achtung Baby" itself. To understand it, you also have to go back to the (grossly undeserved, IMHO) criticism of the "Rattle and Hum" era. Now, most (virtually all?) of us here, loved that album and movie, and it was exactly the right time to undertake such a project. I wish over the ensuing years that U2 themselves hadn't taken the unjust criticism to heart - even they seem to be somewhat apologetic about the film (they defend the new studio music at the time, to their credit - they were/are great songs). Anyway, fair or unfair, the criticism existed and U2 responded to it.

Enter "Achtung Baby". Just looking at it, you knew you were in for something different. It was the first album cover to be truly in color; before then they were the masters of monochrome/dichrome covers - a smorgasbord of white, black, brown, and gray (mild exception with the red splash of "War", more of an exception with UF - the closest thing to a colorful cover and, coincidentally, their first (and successful) attempt at musical reinvention). Just as with the initial release of UF, fans who were used to older sounds were befuddled by AB; I myself, when hearing the opening strains of "Zoo Station", said "What the f*&k is this?" (my opinion quickly evolved - "Zoo Station" is one of my favorite U2 songs (studio or live) and AB is my single favorite U2 album). Of course, the band would snicker in a satisfied way at my initial reaction - they wanted to confound any music fans wanting to pigeonhole them into sounds they had outgrown; thus, AB was designed specifically not to be R&H or JT. And it's exactly that blueprint that has kept AB forever youthful and relevant.

A groundbreaking album needs a groundbreaking tour, and, my goodness, was our band up to the challenge.

It's funny in some ways to think that ZooTV was initially just the tour to promote AB; it definitely and obviously morphed into an entire era for the band, if not the world. I only saw one ZooTV show, when it was still an arena tour (yes, the first North American leg was in arenas). It was stellar even in the smaller space. If I hadn't been a poor graduate student at the time, I would have caught an Outside Broadcast show too. Had I known that this show would look even better made larger (stadium shows before ZooTV, by any band, were much more spartan affairs and not always a treat to be seen/heard at a distance), I would have moved heaven and earth to see another show. The closest Outside Broadcast came to me was Houston (over 2 1/2 hours away by car/bus); I didn't have a car, nor the expendable income; thus, the Austin show had to do. But, it did do - it was, of course, fantastic!

They showed such huevos (to use the Spanish slang) at the start of the show too - EIGHT songs in a row from AB - no "classics" in the first part of the show! And two more from AB during the remainder of the show; thus, 10 of the 12 tracks from AB were played. Here's the proof:

https://www.u2.com/tour/date/id/4011

Obviously, the band believed in their new album, and quite properly so. (And The Pixies were the opening band!)

We didn't have "MacPhisto" - he was more a creature spawned from the loins of "Zooropa"; I'm reasonably sure we had his predecessor, The Mirrorball Man. This is not an unfair trade-off - MacPhisto will always be king of Bono personas, but The Mirrorball Man was quite memorable too. (I also have to concede that even MM may not have existed yet; I'll have to consult a recording of the show to see - both characters may have only existed in stadiums.)

Well, as with the rest of the crowd, I was deliriously happy after it. It's funny to think that I almost didn't get a ticket in the first place. There was a group of 4 of us wanting to go together. By the time we got to the counter, only single seats were left. We got four single seats - so, ironically, we were "alone together" even in 1992. But, quite worth it - we were all very happy despite not being together for it.

(OK, I'll have to leave thoughts of the Sydney DVD for a separate post. This has already gone on far longer than I had anticipated. I gave more background here because I saw so many new members post on the live threads. The more seasoned of us here will know a majority/all of the information above, my apologies to those folks. If you are new to the "glory of ZooTV", be sure to see the "From The Sky Down" documentary (which centers on the making of AB), get the deluxe edition of the Sydney DVD (disc 2 is essential), and most of all read the "bible" of the era by Bill Flanagan, "U2 At The End Of The World" - one of the best rock biographies out there. There are more ZooTV treasures to be discovered than just these; however, these are good places to start).

Part 2 of the review is here:

https://zootopia.u2.com/forums/topic/41020-ready-for-the-laughing-gas/page/20/?tab=comments#comment-1191699

Edited by dmway

32 minutes ago, sukhjitkamal said:

What DVDs have been watched so far? Would be awesome if u2.com streamed the other releases in 1080p like they did for ZOO TV.

Was it 1080p? If so, I can only agree!

16 hours ago, dmway said:

A little late to the party, BUT my t-shirt from the era lives on - not bad for one surviving from 1992:

Surprisingly, mine is pretty good too. Nearly wore it to JT2019, but decided to get another made (The Edge’s “7” Slane shirt)

ABC608D2-83D6-4422-B99D-0F45CDD402F9.jpeg

A2FABB53-7889-48F3-B305-B3DADE6C4414.jpeg

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, mich40 said:

I just grabbed it out of the “retired” box. Boy, do I have T-shirt issues. lol I would love to still wear it but afraid to wash it anymore bc of the glitter.23418A06-7869-4D18-9BAD-D8FA06128909.jpeg

9F7BAF67-91A1-485A-93A1-965C0870C456.jpeg

I also found my baseball cap. I might have to start wearing it again. 

5F17CCE3-5838-46FD-A793-675A2614D83F.jpeg

Isn't it against ther rules to retire anything U2?    ( I won't tell. Maybe they'll miss it.)   😜

Edited by Manohlive
  • Haha 1

On 4/19/2020 at 2:19 PM, Canadanne said:

Bono falsetto = best sound in the universe! ❤️

I raise my glass to that.

On 4/19/2020 at 3:34 PM, Max Tsukino said:

This song (Daddy's Gonna Pay for Your Crashed Car) should come back... better if it's the full album played... it's simply awesome...

Day after the show and I'm out of reactons because I like so many comments again.   Several one ups.   It is a dream of mine to see U2 do a two set show:   First set is Achtung Baby.  Second is Zooropa.  Both in their entirety.   

@xrayjets, was the Sydney Football Stadium bigger than SCG?

23 minutes ago, mich40 said:

@xrayjets, was the Sydney Football Stadium bigger than SCG?

I think seating wise; they would have had similarish capacity. 

The SCG would have a higher GA capacity cos it’s an oval.

The football stadium was pretty steep though, from the very top seats you’d definitely have some vertigo (see what i did there !). I sat right up there once & felt like some oxygen would be appropriate 😂

If the SFS hadn’t been unnecessarily DEMOLISHED (it’s a very sore point among most NSW residents) earlier last year it would have been a much nicer venue for JT2019.

8 minutes ago, xrayjets said:

I think seating wise; they would have had similarish capacity. 

The SCG would have a higher GA capacity cos it’s an oval.

The football stadium was pretty steep though, from the very top seats you’d definitely have some vertigo (see what i did there !). I sat right up there once & felt like some oxygen would be appropriate 😂

If the SFS hadn’t been unnecessarily DEMOLISHED (it’s a very sore point among most NSW residents) earlier last year it would have been a much nicer venue for JT2019.

Was just reading a bit about that. And apparently ZooTV was the first concerts there. I just rewatched the show and my friend was watching it too, which was kinda funny because that was totally unplanned. Anyway, she asked because it made her question how many people were behind us in November after seeing how many were on the ground at the ZooTV show. Since you were at both, I figured you’d be a good one to ask. 🙂 So, thank you.