Sign in to follow this  
Canadanne

U2 albums survey to pass the time

I remembered a fun survey about albums that I found online a while back, and decided to create a similar one based on U2's albums. Here's how it works:

- List U2's studio albums in whatever order you want and number them from 1 to 14.
- Then answer the questions below!

THE QUESTIONS:
01. Which was the first U2 album you owned?
02. What were the first songs you heard from #3 and #13?
03. What were your initial opinions of #7 and #1, and have they changed since then?
04. Which album(s) are your favourite?
05. Which album do you prefer out of #10 and #4?
06. What are your favourite tracks from #6 and #12?
07. What memories do you associate with #14 and #8?
08. Which album would you listen to when feeling down?
09. Where would you rank #5 and #9 in your album preferences?
10. Which album has a better opening track, #2 or #11?
11. What are your favourite lyrics from #10 and #13?
12. Which album would you listen to when feeling happy?
13. How many songs from #7 and #2 have you heard live?
14. Which tracks from #8 and #5 should have been released as singles?
15. Which album do you listen to more, #11 or #3?
16. Which album has grown on you the most?
17. Which songs from #4 and #1 do you dream of hearing live?
18. Which album has a better closing track, #9 or #12?
19. Which album do you prefer out of #6 and #14?
20. Which album would you love to see played in full like on the recent Joshua Tree tours?

Anyone want to try it out? I'll post my answers below. You can also use this on other platforms if you like. :)

• Like 1

I chose to list the albums chronologically. You could pick a different way, e.g. alphabetical or just the order they come to mind!

1. Boy
2. October
3. War
4. The Unforgettable Fire
5. The Joshua Tree
6. Rattle & Hum
7. Achtung Baby
8. Zooropa
9. Pop
10. All That You Can't Leave Behind
11. How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb
12. No Line On The Horizon
13. Songs Of Innocence
14. Songs Of Experience

My answers...

Achtung Baby (though I had the Best Of 1980-1990 before that). I thought those two CDs would cover all the best stuff and I wouldn't need to buy any more - haha!

War - New Year's Day, which was on the Best Of.
Songs Of Innocence - The Miracle (Of Joey Ramone), when they performed it live at the Apple event. Little did we know the whole album would be available moments later!

03. What were your initial opinions of #7 and #1, and have they changed since then?
Achtung Baby - absolutely blew my mind, one of the best albums I'd ever heard by anyone. And it's still my all-time favourite album.
Boy - nothing really stood out on my first listen, apart from Larry's awesome drumming. I love this album now, though!

As mentioned already, Achtung Baby is No.1, with HTDAAB, Songs Of Innocence and Zooropa also in my top tier.

All That You Can't Leave Behind or The Unforgettable Fire - neither is among my favourites, but I definitely prefer TUF.

Rattle & Hum - probably God Part II.
No Line On The Horizon - there's nothing I really love, but I guess Magnificent.

Songs Of Experience - mostly quite depressing things, really, but The Blackout will always remind me of that awesome show opening in Europe, and I'll never forget following that tour online!
Zooropa - buying it as my second proper U2 album after loving the songs performed on the Sydney video (which I watched over and over again). Learning Numb off by heart in my bedroom. Being so thrilled when the title track was brought back on the 360° Tour, and gutted I couldn't see it in person. Getting happy tears when I saw Zooropa segue into Streets on the IE Tour. The joy of seeing full-band Stay on the EI Tour.

Pop, maybe - I'd be drawn to the dark stuff, and also find some comforting sounds on there.

The Joshua Tree - it's somewhere in the upper middle, about 5th or 6th.
Pop - the same. I'd maybe rank Pop slightly higher than TJT, but they're so different it's hard to compare them!

October (Gloria) or How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb (Vertigo). Tough choice, they both rock... I guess I'm more emotionally attached to Vertigo but I don't have a clear preference.

All That You Can't Leave Behind - ummm... can't think of anything very profound, but I love the "Slow down my beating heart" outro from In A Little While. And I like the catchy rhymes of Elevation even if it's kinda nonsensical. :)
Songs Of Innocence - oh, so many great lines to choose from here. I'll go with "There's no end to grief; that's how I know, and why I need to know that there is no end to love". Also, "And a heart that is broken is a heart that is open".

I have definitely celebrated stuff to Achtung Baby songs in the past. HTDAAB is also an album full of joy for me.

Achtung Baby - 9 out of 12 (everything except So Cruel, TTTYAATW and Love Is Blindness).
October - 2 out of 11 (Gloria and October).

Zooropa - I think they released the right ones, I'm not sure any of the others would have made good singles. Maybe the title track if they could somehow condense it into a radio edit. (I would love to see a promo video that matches the one in my head...)
The Joshua Tree - I know Red Hill Mining Town was almost a single and it would have been a good one, apart from the hilariously awful video!

How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb or War - I've probably listened to HTDAAB more as I had it in my CD player continuously for months when it first came out.

Zooropa. I found it totally weird and inaccessible for a long time (nothing at all like the brilliant live performances), then had a sudden breakthrough one day and I've adored it ever since. Can't understand why it took so long to click with me - it's amazing!

The Unforgettable Fire - I still dream of hearing the title track sung properly (didn't really like the 360° version where he changed the chorus). I was also disappointed not to hear A Sort Of Homecoming in 2017, when they played it in every other city...
Boy - I'd be absolutely delighted to hear A Day Without Me or Twilight.

Pop (Wake Up Dead Man) or No Line On The Horizon (Cedars Of Lebanon). Both quite dark and depressing tracks but that's an easy choice for me - Wake Up Dead Man.

Rattle & Hum or Songs Of Experience - definitely Rattle & Hum.

20. Which album would you love to see played in full like on the recent Joshua Tree tours?
Achtung Baby played in full would be fantastic. I would also quite like to hear Pop, because it's ridiculous that I've only heard one song from it in my 20+ years of fandom, and Songs Of Innocence because they skipped all my favourite tracks when I saw the IE Tour!

• Like 2

For the record, I’m a sucker for stuff like this. 

1. Boy
2. October
3. War
5. The Joshua Tree
6. Rattle & Hum
7. Achtung Baby
8. Zooropa
9. Pop
13. Songs Of Innocence
14. Songs Of Experience

THE QUESTIONS:
The Unforgettable Fire

War - Sunday Bloody Sunday on MTV right after we got it.
SOI - The Miracle (of Joey Ramone) during the Apple Event when they dropped the album.

Achtung Baby- My first reactions were “My gosh, what have they done?” which quickly turned into “This is the best thing ever!” and I still love it the most. 
Boy - I honestly can’t remember what my first reaction to Boy was. I know I liked it, but was not completely blown away. I definitely love it more now. 

Achtung Baby, The Unforgettable Fire, Songs of Experience and No Line on the Horizon

Definitely The Unforgettable Fire, see question 4. 

Rattle and Hum - Hawkmoon 269
No Line on the Horizon - Magnificent 

SOE So many, but too many to mention. So, a few, a listening party that I attended in NYC. The eiTour, especially the Mod Summit in Montreal and the Apollo gig. 
Zootopia July 1993, getting the album and immediately falling in love with it. Best friend winning a contest to see the ZooTV tour in Dublin and taking me with her. We were definitely dreaming out loud. 

The Unforgettable Fire

The Joshua Tree, closer to my top favorite albums and Pop, towards the bottom. 

October....I mean, Gloria 💚

ATYCLB -
Who's to say where the wind will take you
Who's to know what it is will break you
I don't know which way the wind will blow
Who's to know when the time has come around
Don't wanna see you cry
I know that this is not goodbye

SOI -
The stars are bright but do they know
The universe is beautiful but cold

Or

The sea knows where are the rocks
And drowning is no sin
You know where my heart is
The same place that yours has been
We know that we fear to win
And so we end before we begin
Before we begin

No Line on the Horizon, because right after it came out, we took a family trip to Ireland and drove from Dublin to Cork, listening to it multiple times in the car. Happy times. 

Achtung Baby - I have heard every song live now, except So Cruel. Would love to fix that. 
October - Gloria! and Scarlet, according to my U2gigs stats; but I feel like I’ve heard October too. 

Zooropa - Dirty Day
The Joshua Tree - Red Hill Mining Town, the best single that never was. 

How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb

Pop

The Unforgettable Fire - A Sort of Homecoming 
Boy - A Day Without Me 

Pop

Ugh. I think I have to go wit SOE, although I LOVE the studio material so much on Rattle and Hum.

Achtung Baby

• Like 1

Good morning, World. Glad for the distraction. 

1. Boy
2. October
3. War
5. The Joshua Tree
6. Rattle & Hum
7. Achtung Baby
8. Zooropa
9. Pop
13. Songs Of Innocence
14. Songs Of Experience

My answers...

Boy. I remember when I Will Follow was first being played on KROQ in Los Angeles. I was 14.

Must have been Sunday Bloody Sunday from War. The Miracle (of Joey Ramone) for SOI.

Achtung Baby blew me away from first listen. The Fly, Until the End of the World, ...Wild Horses, I couldn't get enough.

Boy, I was thrilled by this new sound I was hearing. The Electric Co! Love that song.

Achtung Baby, Unforgettable Fire, October

The Unforgettable Fire has two of my all-time favorites: Bad and A Sort of Homecoming. Love that album dearly.

Rattle and Hum: So many good choices! I'm going to go with Desire.

No Line on the Horizon: One of the very albums of theirs I don't like and haven't listened to since it was first released. I couldn't tell you what's on it.

SOE: My wife and I saw back to back shows in Las Vegas. 

Zooropa: I remember thinking this was all the crap not good enough to make it onto Achtung Baby. I hated this album.

The Joshua Tree. It really is a wonderful album from beginning to end.

The Joshua Tree, maybe 3rd or 4th depending on the day.

Pop: Toward the bottom, with Zooropa and NLOTH

October (Gloria) or How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb (Vertigo). Both are great, but I have a real emotional attachment to October. Underappreciated masterpiece, IMHO.

All That You Can't Leave Behind - So many great songs, but I always think about Kite. My mom died shortly before this album came out, and Kite hit me hard. 

"I'm a man, not child. I'm a man who sees the shadow behind your eyes. Who's to say where the wind will take you? Who's to say what it is will break you? I don't know which way the wind will blow. Who's to know when the time has come around? I don't want to see you cry. I know that this is not goodbye..." 

Songs Of Innocence - "If you go your way and I go mine, are we so helpless against the tide? Baby every dog on the street knows that we're in love with defeat. Are we ready to be swept off our feet? And stop chasing every breaking wave."

All That You Can't Leave Behind. Beautiful Day is my go-to happy song.

Achtung Baby - Not sure, I've seen every tour since War, so that's probably most of them.
October - NOT ENOUGH!!!

Zooropa - None. It's crap.
The Joshua Tree - In God's Country

How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb or War - War, for sure. 

I don't know that any has grown on me, as my initial impressions pretty much stay with me. Maybe Rattle and Hum, in the sense that the movie was pretentious crap, but the original songs on there are really good. Angel of Harlem, for example.

The Unforgettable Fire - The Unforgettable Fire...
Boy - A Day Without Me 

Pop (Wake Up Dead Man) or No Line On The Horizon (Cedars Of Lebanon). Not very fond of either one.

Rattle & Hum or Songs Of Experience - Both good, but Rattle and Hum wins out.

OCTOBER!!!!

😁