Beautiful things coming out of the pandemic

• Subscriber

Chiefs OL Laurent Duvernay-Tardif fighting the COVID-19 pandemic

Duvernay-Tardif says he started to think about people who were going through tougher times — including the physicians he knew from medical school. "I have friends who are working in emergency rooms. One does triage and tests patients for COVID-19. Those people are on the front line, and they're giving everything to protect us," he writes. 

untitled-collage-46.jpg

"I cannot allow myself to potentially transmit the virus in our communities simply to play the sport that I love," Laurent Duvernay-Tardif wrote

Instead, he is sitting out the season and going back to work as a doctor to help fight Covid-19.  

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I hear U2 have donated €10m to fund PPE for Irish Health care workers.  great work boys , now let’s hope they can source some. https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2020/0408/1129416-ppe-supplies

Covid sucks. We all know it; but even in these hard times, beautiful things are coming out. Maybe we could add some of the good things here. I’ll start with this one. Mind you, One has always been one

Let's hear it (again) for Ireland. The Irish Prime Minister, Leo Varadkar, who was a junior doctor until 2013 (and then became Minister of Health) before becoming Prime Minister, has volunteered

Posted Images

• Subscriber

This is more a beautiful thing to do during the pandemic, but Beck has joined forces with the NASA JPL (i.e., their Jet Propulsion Lab) to come up with a collaborative website that promotes both Beck's latest album "Hyperspace" (which is fantastic, by the way) and the JPL's rarely-seen images of all the members of our solar system and beyond (most have never been seen before by the general public). It is a very cool team effort. Check it out for yourself:

http://hyperspace.beck.com/

• Like 1
  • Subscriber

Last night I watched Biffy Clyro do a livestreamed online gig to launch their new album A Celebration of Endings. They played at the Barrowlands in Glasgow, with no audience in the building, instead you bought a 'ticket' for £14 which would allow you to view the livestream on YouTube. In the area where there'd normally be an audience they instead had loads of different performance areas where they moved between throughout the set, along with a section that seated an orchestra. One of the most inspiring things I've ever seen, and apart from anything else, it makes me really miss live music.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Subscriber
On 8/16/2020 at 3:25 PM, dmway said:

This is more a beautiful thing to do during the pandemic, but Beck has joined forces with the NASA JPL (i.e., their Jet Propulsion Lab) to come up with a collaborative website that promotes both Beck's latest album "Hyperspace" (which is fantastic, by the way) and the JPL's rarely-seen images of all the members of our solar system and beyond (most have never been seen before by the general public). It is a very cool team effort. Check it out for yourself:

http://hyperspace.beck.com/

It's really nice!

• Thanks 1
  • Subscriber
On 9/2/2020 at 12:38 PM, dmway said:

This has to be one of the more touching stories coming out during our pandemic:

https://edition.cnn.com/travel/amp/dog-rejoin-owners-covid/index.html

Very, very sweet.   I could not survive without my dog.  They are the best.   Great story because it reminds us how easily we can form opinions, about others, which are simply not true.   Beautiful story.  

• Like 1
  • Subscriber
On 8/16/2020 at 2:43 PM, peterferris8 said:

Last night I watched Biffy Clyro do a livestreamed online gig to launch their new album A Celebration of Endings. They played at the Barrowlands in Glasgow, with no audience in the building, instead you bought a 'ticket' for £14 which would allow you to view the livestream on YouTube. In the area where there'd normally be an audience they instead had loads of different performance areas where they moved between throughout the set, along with a section that seated an orchestra. One of the most inspiring things I've ever seen, and apart from anything else, it makes me really miss live music.

I know you love them.  I've listened to several things you've posted in the listening 2 thread. I've enjoyed all of them.  You problably know I love the band Dawes.  They did a live streamed concert about ten days ago.  It was from the roof of where Jimmy Kimmel's show get filmed.  The L.A. skyline and Sun setting on the Pacific Ocean were the backdrop.  Af first I was really sad I was not there in person. The second Taylor (lead) hit his guitar-I took off.  They played great.  The sound was phenomenal.  I had a post-concert high and coulnd't sleep all night. What does one do when that happens?  Watch the stream again!!!  It was $15 American.   It was inspiring and awesome.  I also miss live music.  It's always been my fix.  It's amazing that a band can play live somewhere; we get it live, at home and with such good sound.  

Not having live music sucks but this live stream gave me a badly needed boost.  I hope you got even more from yours.  I hope increasing numbers of bands do live streams which are affordable-people can feel at least something close to a concert until we can drink, scream and go nuts at live shows again.  Imagine the highs we're going to feel when we know our favorite bands are about to take the stage and we are back at the shows again.

Edited by Manohlive
  • Like 1