#U2getherAtHome Part 2 - Watch Along Virtual Vertigo Party

Max Tsukino

• Subscriber
On 7/18/2020 at 12:37 PM, dmway said:

@bigwave @Max Tsukino @mich40 , the original "social distancing" thread will become active again after the "Vertigo" festivities today, won't it? I see that someone has closed it to further replies.

The thinking may have been not to have two threads going at once today, and that makes sense (however, I always found bouncing between two threads to be a bit fun in the past, but, then again, I am occasionally overly easily entertained); however, that original thread still has a purpose to serve, and I think I can speak for most/all who participate in that thread that we would still like to be able to post there.

Thanks in advance!

On 7/18/2020 at 1:29 PM, andryu2 said:

I completely agree with that!

On 7/18/2020 at 2:02 PM, dmway said:

Thank you! 😊 I hope it lives on after the Vertigo streaming.

Since the Vertigo streaming is now finished, could we please reactivate the original “social distancing” thread now?

I’m all ready to make the “table of contents” for it and have more thoughts/posts to make on topics beyond merely the Vertigo Chicago show.

Thank you! 🙏 

@bigwave @Max Tsukino @mich40

Edited by dmway
  • Upvote 1

• Community Moderator
6 hours ago, dmway said:

Since the Vertigo streaming is now finished, could we please reactivate the original “social distancing” thread now?

I’m all ready to make the “table of contents” for it and have more thoughts/posts to make on topics beyond merely the Vertigo Chicago show.

Thank you! 🙏 

@bigwave @Max Tsukino @mich40

After some discussion, we decided not to bring back the thread — it's too specific for an activity in a way that creating a table of contents would convert it into something that goes beyond its original purpose (also, it simply can't be said if it's something that the thread originator wants for it).

There's always an opportunity to discuss past shows - tour anniversaries, photos found, music listened, etc. Feel free to open a thread about a show or a tour...

• Subscriber
2 hours ago, Max Tsukino said:

After some discussion, we decided not to bring back the thread — it's too specific for an activity in a way that creating a table of contents would convert it into something that goes beyond its original purpose (also, it simply can't be said if it's something that the thread originator wants for it).

There's always an opportunity to discuss past shows - tour anniversaries, photos found, music listened, etc. Feel free to open a thread about a show or a tour...

Well, you could always ask her directly...

Creating a table of contents would not go beyond its original purpose  - the purpose of that thread was to celebrate our collectively watching the the U2 live shows together. All the table of contents would do would help people find which show was watched when and how people commented on it. Unlike real live threads for concerts, which of course thrive on their individuality, what was celebrated on that thread was all of us together - thus, a unified thread was always the way to go.

The fact that it is also pinned on the front page helped people find (and discover, in the case of later arrivals) this unified thread too. What you said at the end of your post is true, but, without the pinning to the front page, such posts would eventually fade into oblivion. The fact that the thread lasted this long is one of the very things that truly made it special.

Creating a table of contents, and then bookmarking that post, would make finding discussion on which show we watched together and when very easy. That was my point. It could still be done.

However, if the decision has already been made for us, could you at least rename this thread so that we don't have a zombified Vertigo tour thread label (not that such a thing really bothers me - the Vertigo tour, indeed, lives forever in my mind). Something like "The New and Improved 'Social Distancing' Thread", or something else like that, might suffice.

Do as you will.

• Community Moderator
8 hours ago, dmway said:

Well, you could always ask her directly...

We did in fact communicate with @Madfl3a this past weekend, and collectively came to the decision to close the thread. I’m not going to speak for her, but this is just as she wanted too. 

If you feel so strongly about a table of contents, feel free to create one and when it is ready, let us know and we can briefly open the thread for you to add it. 

As for renaming this thread, we will cross that bridge if/when it is needed.

• Subscriber
2 hours ago, mich40 said:

We did in fact communicate with @Madfl3a this past weekend, and collectively came to the decision to close the thread. I’m not going to speak for her, but this is just as she wanted too. 

If you feel so strongly about a table of contents, feel free to create one and when it is ready, let us know and we can briefly open the thread for you to add it. 

As for renaming this thread, we will cross that bridge if/when it is needed.

Well, I guess that's that then. I see the title of this thread has already been tweaked, so that's good at least.

I could also make a table of contents of our original thread and post it here - no Lazarus-like resurrection of the original thread required. Although perhaps there is no longer interest in that either; if there isn't, I won't bother - no point in doing unnecessary work.

Thanks.

Edited by dmway

• Subscriber
On 7/21/2020 at 7:39 AM, mich40 said:

Obviously, I don’t know what show you were at for 360, but I’m assuming you are talking about 2011. Some of those shows were brutally hot.

It was very hot in Chicago, with no relief from the sunshine.  My friend kept whining until I finally snapped at him to be quiet or start walking home. I didn't mean it, however, I drove, got us free parking and our tickets upgraded. (Not to mention a little thing called a presale code for the tickets.)  The little sh#t in me reveled in telling him we got right by the stage and the lights would make it even hotter. 😬  (I knew we'd get a lake breeze, which we did)   I spent a small fortune on water.  By the end of the show, I so badly had to use the bathroom that I could hardly walk..  

I forgot to mention that hearing Richard Ashcroft sing Bittersweet Symphony and saying U2 was up next is another fond Vertigo memory.  

• Like 1

• Subscriber
5 hours ago, mich40 said:

Wow, I've missed a lot apparently! 

Yes the mods talked to me about closing the thread and yes I agreed to it.

@dmwayI totally get your point, trust me. It wasn't easy for me either to say goodbye to that thread. So much happened there, the joy, the sadness, the sharing and of course the love for that band all along those hard weeks we've been through together.

But as I said on my very first post, I wished that thread would be a nice chapter of Zootopians resilience through those social distancing hard times. And it did. It so did. More than I'd ever hoped so. But it was just that. A chapter. That doesn't mean the story is over :)

I think the original #U2getherAtHome served his purpose. The deal was that we'd kept it going until we were all out, or ran out of dvds. And we did that. We watched every show. We carried each other every Saturday night. We made it through. We made it. 

And now it's a real honor to let it go, let it evolve into something else, let someone else take the lead... Fans or mods or the u2com team. I don't mind. We needed the inspiration. We needed to remember that there is a light we can't always see... And if that means a new beginning, then so be it. That's for the best. Because the world is still a mess, and we're gonna need this light on days to come. I hope it keeps going. 

So yes. A thousand times yes. Let's turn to a new beginning. A fresh start. Or something else completely. As long as we're one on that.. As long as we carry one another - we will be okay. That original thread... We were freaking brilliant and I'll be forever grateful for it. But guess what, we still can be :)

• Like 1
  • Brilliant 1

• Subscriber
25 minutes ago, Madfl3a said:

Wow, I've missed a lot apparently! 

Yes the mods talked to me about closing the thread and yes I agreed to it.

@dmwayI totally get your point, trust me. It wasn't easy for me either to say goodbye to that thread. So much happened there, the joy, the sadness, the sharing and of course the love for that band all along those hard weeks we've been through together.

But as I said on my very first post, I wished that thread would be a nice chapter of Zootopians resilience through those social distancing hard times. And it did. It so did. More than I'd ever hoped so. But it was just that. A chapter. That doesn't mean the story is over :)

I think the original #U2getherAtHome served his purpose. The deal was that we'd kept it going until we were all out, or ran out of dvds. And we did that. We watched every show. We carried each other every Saturday night. We made it through. We made it. 

And now it's a real honor to let it go, let it evolve into something else, let someone else take the lead... Fans or mods or the u2com team. I don't mind. We needed the inspiration. We needed to remember that there is a light we can't always see... And if that means a new beginning, then so be it. That's for the best. Because the world is still a mess, and we're gonna need this light on days to come. I hope it keeps going. 

So yes. A thousand times yes. Let's turn to a new beginning. A fresh start. Or something else completely. As long as we're one on that.. As long as we carry one another - we will be okay. That original thread... We were freaking brilliant and I'll be forever grateful for it. But guess what, we still can be :)

Well, there's no real controversy here - ultimately, all this is a tempest in a teapot. It's just a thread on a message board. We'll all adapt.

There just seemed to be some assumptions made that were quite curious. Longer threads are not intrinsically bad; shorter threads are not intrinsically better - both assumptions are non-sequiturs. We already had a live thread for the shows that was working quite well - so, why invent a new wheel when the original one had plenty of tread left?

The thing about threads is that once they start and sizeable proportion of the membership contributes to it, the thread really becomes a collective property. And, as you can see from the number of pages generated on it, we all enthusiastically took part. The main issue was the sudden shock of ending it when it was working just fine. I think I can speak for many who were completely unaware that the topic of thread's survival was even under discussion, let alone been irrevocably decided.

I'm sorry if you felt some kind of personal responsibility for the thread; I thought we had already proven that we were capable for carrying it on even if you couldn't/didn't want to be involved in any given week (or ever again). But, if you felt such responsibility and it was weighing on you somehow, then it was good for it to be stopped. It just would have been nice to be aware of something in advance.

So, yes, things will just carry on here then. No biggie...

• Brilliant 1

• Community Moderator
3 hours ago, Manohlive said:

It was very hot in Chicago, with no relief from the sunshine.  My friend kept whining until I finally snapped at him to be quiet or start walking home. I didn't mean it, however, I drove, got us free parking and our tickets upgraded. (Not to mention a little thing called a presale code for the tickets.)  The little sh#t in me reveled in telling him we got right by the stage and the lights would make it even hotter. 😬  (I knew we'd get a lake breeze, which we did)   I spent a small fortune on water.  By the end of the show, I so badly had to use the bathroom that I could hardly walk..  

I forgot to mention that hearing Richard Ashcroft sing Bittersweet Symphony and saying U2 was up next is another fond Vertigo memory.  

It was dreadfully hot. I was in the group that got there really really early that day and they ended up putting us in the inside concourse around 11 or so, because they were worried about us being out in the heat. 

• bigwave unfeatured this topic