#U2getherAtHome Part 2 - Watch Along Virtual Vertigo Party

Max Tsukino

• Subscriber
20 minutes ago, andryu2 said:

Count me in for either video people decide to watch.

...and thank you for saying so too! 😊

And since the initial post for this idea is buried on the previous page, here it is again:

16 hours ago, dmway said:

OK, let's give this new thread a test drive...

Since I am 99.99% sure that two weeks from yesterday the site will give us a new show to stream in honor of The Edge's 59th birthday (conveniently on a Saturday this year), do we have any interest in collectively viewing a show next Saturday (August 1) or, if that seems too soon, a week after The Edge's birthday, i.e., August 15th?

You say, "...but we have seen all that we can see, right?" Well, no - we haven't. When we finished the "main sequence" of shows, we successfully viewed together not only one, but two DVDs beyond that. I knew that Rattle & Hum would work, but even I was surprised by how well the 1987 Paris show worked out - I was dubious whether enough people would have it in order to make it work, but work it did! 👍

So, with the success of the '87 Paris show in mind, we could conceivably still see:

1) the DVD included with The Unforgettable Fire deluxe set - this would provide us with their full "Live Aid" set and selections from the following year's "A Conspiracy Of Hope" tour finale in Giants Stadium, which also is a nice reminder of when I saw them live for the first time, FWIW (it also has a bootleg live version of "11 O'Clock Tick Tock", and even the sepia tone version of the "Pride" video, not to mention "The Unforgettable Fire Collection")

2) the DVD with the selections from the Vertigo tour stop in Milan - this was included in the deluxe edition of "18 Singles" (we could even watch #1 and #2 on the same day since neither are full concert length individually)

3) @Ilmajoki recommended the selections from the old "Interference" VHS tape on the original live thread. Everything from this old tape was/is on the first and third DVDs of the AB Super (and Uber) Deluxe edition of "Achtung Baby". Do enough of us have this set to make it worth watching? I'd lean towards opting for the 3rd DVD more than anything - there's a LOT of ZooTV-era magic on that one.

I have one other idea for a collective viewing, but I would like everything else to be exhausted before suggesting it. The extra time would allow the idea to become more feasible too - take my word for it for now.

So are any regular participants of the old thread (new people, of course, are welcome too) interested in a collective viewing next Saturday (August 1) or two weeks after that? If you could say how many of the DVDs listed above you have as well, that would help us in planning. Thanks in advance! 😎

• Subscriber
23 hours ago, dmway said:

OK, let's give this new thread a test drive...

1) the DVD included with The Unforgettable Fire deluxe set - this would provide us with their full "Live Aid" set and selections from the following year's "A Conspiracy Of Hope" tour finale in Giants Stadium, which also is a nice reminder of when I saw them live for the first time, FWIW (it also has a bootleg live version of "11 O'Clock Tick Tock", and even the sepia tone version of the "Pride" video, not to mention "The Unforgettable Fire Collection")

2) the DVD with the selections from the Vertigo tour stop in Milan - this was included in the deluxe edition of "18 Singles" (we could even watch #1 and #2 on the same day since neither are full concert length individually)

3) @Ilmajoki recommended the selections from the old "Interference" VHS tape on the original live thread. Everything from this old tape was/is on the first and third DVDs of the AB Super (and Uber) Deluxe edition of "Achtung Baby". Do enough of us have this set to make it worth watching? I'd lean towards opting for the 3rd DVD more than anything - there's a LOT of ZooTV-era magic on that one.

I have one other idea for a collective viewing, but I would like everything else to be exhausted before suggesting it. The extra time would allow the idea to become more feasible too - take my word for it for now.

So are any regular participants of the old thread (new people, of course, are welcome too) interested in a collective viewing next Saturday (August 1) or two weeks after that? If you could say how many of the DVDs listed above you have as well, that would help us in planning. Thanks in advance! 😎

I am able to participate but there are some challenges, I do not have 1) nor 2) and 3) Vhs cassette is in book shelf but no VCR player anymore.

By the way have we already watched the Best of 1990-2000 DVD, do not think so? Or was this gettogerher more for live shows

• Thanks 1

• Subscriber
51 minutes ago, Ilmajoki said:

was this gettogerher more for live shows

It was live shows only yeah - mostly because that's what we needed at the time.. That thrill, that joy. A good catalyst for lockdown's emotions 😁

But as you said, it was. It's done now. What it might become now is up to all of ya 😉

• Subscriber
58 minutes ago, Ilmajoki said:

I am able to participate but there are some challenges, I do not have 1) nor 2) and 3) Vhs cassette is in book shelf but no VCR player anymore.

By the way have we already watched the Best of 1990-2000 DVD, do not think so? Or was this gettogerher more for live shows

5 minutes ago, Madfl3a said:

It was live shows only yeah - mostly because that's what we needed at the time.. That thrill, that joy. A good catalyst for lockdown's emotions 😁

But as you said, it was. It's done now. What it might become now is up to all of ya 😉

Yes - live shows are still the main focus. Indeed, there are more to see, and all are official U2 DVD releases to boot.

YouTube will definitely be able to help with LiveAid, even if you had to go song by song. For “The Conspiracy of Hope” concert, I would have to check - it’s possible again that YouTube might even have more than the show as presented on the DVD - they cut the cover versions on the DVD. I would also have to check on the Milan show - I bet a playlist would exist there, if I had to guess.

OK - so we have at least 4 so far expressing interest. Let’s see how the next couple of days go - if there are enough expressing interest (and YouTube is helpful enough), we may try this coming Saturday, but waiting a couple of more weeks is completely fine too.

Thanks for letting us know!

• Like 1

• Subscriber

Unfortunately I don’t have any of the DVD’s you mentioned, but now I’m hoping they will put out a 30-year Anniversary Super Uber Mega Delux Achtung Baby Box  set that includes absolutely Everything a U2 Mega fan could desire!!!

• Like 1

• Subscriber
4 hours ago, dmway said:

...and while we're waiting to decide which Saturday to have our next collective viewing, here's something to tide you over:

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/watch-bono-and-the-edge-perform-acoustic-stairway-to-heaven-1034584/

:What a choice, only the Masters are allowed to cover Stairway to heaven! They did it with respect.

• Like 1

• Subscriber
59 minutes ago, hillpy2 said:

Unfortunately I don’t have any of the DVD’s you mentioned, but now I’m hoping they will put out a 30-year Anniversary Super Uber Mega Delux Achtung Baby Box  set that includes absolutely Everything a U2 Mega fan could desire!!!

Well, it would be very difficult to top the AB sets that they released back in 2011 - they were very comprehensive! However, they did release a new super deluxe JT in 2017 (granted a lot was borrowed from the 2007 sets, but there were some unique things). If they would release stuff that we know was recorded on that tour (e.g., Washington, DC; Yankee Stadium), that would certainly make a new deluxe AB set possible.

OK, for the UF DVD, everything is easily found on YouTube. For Live Aid, they played "Sunday Bloody Sunday" and "Bad"; for the "A Conspiracy Of Hope" finale, they only included MLK, "Pride", and "Bad" (strangely, on YouTube, you can find many links with their entire set, but only these three songs were on the UF deluxe set DVD) - so, those are all available and from more than one poster there. The Milan selections on the deluxe "18 Singles" set is also there.

So, I need an "umpires' decision" from any of the moderators - am I allowed to post the YouTube links here to what I just mentioned above, or would such links being posted on-thread be violating any site rules? @mich40 @Max Tsukino

Edited by dmway
  • Brilliant 1

• Subscriber
4 minutes ago, Ilmajoki said:

:What a choice, only the Masters are allowed to cover Stairway to heaven! They did it with respect.

Yes - it's a nice version, isn't it?

• Community Moderator
2 hours ago, dmway said:

Well, it would be very difficult to top the AB sets that they released back in 2011 - they were very comprehensive! However, they did release a new super deluxe JT in 2017 (granted a lot was borrowed from the 2007 sets, but there were some unique things). If they would release stuff that we know was recorded on that tour (e.g., Washington, DC; Yankee Stadium), that would certainly make a new deluxe AB set possible.

OK, for the UF DVD, everything is easily found on YouTube. For Live Aid, they played "Sunday Bloody Sunday" and "Bad"; for the "A Conspiracy Of Hope" finale, they only included MLK, "Pride", and "Bad" (strangely, on YouTube, you can find many links with their entire set, but only these three songs were on the UF deluxe set DVD) - so, those are all available and from more than one poster there. The Milan selections on the deluxe "18 Singles" set is also there.

So, I need an "umpires' decision" from any of the moderators - am I allowed to post the YouTube links here to what I just mentioned above, or would such links being posted on-thread be violating any site rules? @mich40 @Max Tsukino

If it's an official release commercially available in any shape or form, please do not post any link here - discuss it at leisure, just no links. Same with full bootlegged shows. Thanks.

• Thanks 1

• bigwave unfeatured this topic