#U2getherAtHome Part 2 - Watch Along Virtual Vertigo Party

• Community Moderator
1 hour ago, FnlPrblm said:

I realize it's an inside kind of thing, but I'm curious, why did they get booed?  I never watched the show One Tree Hill (I know of it, that's it).  Was the show's setting in Chicago or something?  I'm kind of puzzled here.

They boo’ed Bono because he said they weren’t playing One Tree Hill (the song) after he said they had written it for Greg Carroll and it was near the anniversary of his death. 
Here’s where he mentions it before Moment of Surrender, then they ended up playing it after that. (Had nothing to do with the TV show, One Tree Hill, if that’s what you are asking.)

• Like 2
  • Replies 486
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

for those asking, just got a note from the tech team (i will be sure to send back any comments on the tech aspect of things, they will appreciate I am sure   It’s never been released at thi

One of my favorite U2 stories was for this tour. I got tickets for the Staples center on Nov. 1st, 14th row behind the stage. Was a bit bummed to be looking at their backs the whole show... but, hey,

Thanks to everyone that has joined us today. You are what make these streams so special. Subscribers: if you want to take a little bathroom break and meet us over here for the documentary, see yo

Posted Images

• Subscriber
13 hours ago, dmway said:

Status update...

There seems to be enough interest expressed both on-thread and off to suggest that this Saturday, August 1st, is a “go” for launch! 

I suggest the following order for viewing:

1) LiveAid songs

2) “A Conspiracy Of Hope” show songs

3) Milan Vertigo songs

The first two (since they are both on the UF Deluxe edition DVD) we will do one after the other in relatively short order - if there is a consensus among the viewers at the time, we can have a small break between the two.

We’ll have a somewhat longer break (i.e., 5 to 10 minutes) before beginning the Milan Vertigo songs. The three shows combined give us just about a full concert-length viewing experience.

The starting time, of course, is the same as always. I’ll give a reminder of that time in large boldface (as is customary) soon.

All are welcome - see you here and then! 😎

...and here are those large boldface times for Saturday, August 1st, as advertised above:

10pm Paris

9pm London

4pm NYC

1pm LA

With equivalent times worldwide. 🌎

See you there! 😎

• Like 1
  • Subscriber
Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, mich40 said:

They boo’ed Bono because he said they weren’t playing One Tree Hill (the song) after he said they had written it for Greg Carroll and it was near the anniversary of his death. 
Here’s where he mentions it before Moment of Surrender, then they ended up playing it after that. (Had nothing to do with the TV show, One Tree Hill, if that’s what you are asking.)

I did not realize this was on YouTube.  My hair is standing on end.  I would endure that heat and sunshine for these ten minutes alone.   I had to tell myself to let it go when I couldn't stop wondering if they'd actually do One Tree Hill or not.   I was so excited I almost missed Moment of Surrender. 

Correction to an earlier post about Vertigo:   The Wildness tour was not the first time I saw Snow Patrol.  They opened for U2 the first time the 360 tour hit Chicago.  Wildness was the first time I saw Snow Patrol play a full show.   I must have been having a pandemic DUH moment.  😳    That or I'm forgetting cuz I'm still jealous Larry gave his drumstick to someone else and not me?   😝

Edited by Manohlive
  • Subscriber
On 7/29/2020 at 4:42 PM, dmway said:

...and here are those large boldface times for Saturday, August 1st, as advertised above:

10pm Paris

9pm London

4pm NYC

1pm LA

With equivalent times worldwide. 🌎

See you there! 😎

5 p.m. Sao Paulo.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Subscriber
9 minutes ago, Manohlive said:

sorry, dmway.  Did not realize what you were doing.  If I can, I'll be here.

Attendance obviously isn’t mandatory, but the more, the merrier. (Remember on the previous page when you asked the little birdie to make delivery to you - that’s what this was/is all about.)

See you and everyone else hopefully on Saturday!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Subscriber
On 7/29/2020 at 3:40 AM, dmway said:

Status update...

There seems to be enough interest expressed both on-thread and off to suggest that this Saturday, August 1st, is a “go” for launch! 

I suggest the following order for viewing:

1) LiveAid songs

2) “A Conspiracy Of Hope” show songs

3) Milan Vertigo songs

The first two (since they are both on the UF Deluxe edition DVD) we will do one after the other in relatively short order - if there is a consensus among the viewers at the time, we can have a small break between the two.

We’ll have a somewhat longer break (i.e., 5 to 10 minutes) before beginning the Milan Vertigo songs. The three shows combined give us just about a full concert-length viewing experience.

The starting time, of course, is the same as always. I’ll give a reminder of that time in large boldface (as is customary) soon.

All are welcome - see you here and then! 😎

Thank you for organising the view!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Subscriber
1 hour ago, andryu2 said:

Thank you for organising the view!

Thank you for saying so! 😊

It should be fun! 😎

• Like 1
  • Subscriber
Posted (edited)

Well, it's time to give some customary pre-viewing thoughts about these fine shows and explain more why I was so eager to watch these shows in particular.

First, very simply, they are the last three shows that U2 released to the general public via DVD that we haven't watched yet. Thus, merely for the sake of completeness, they ought to be viewed. However, there are so many more reasons...

The first two shows, although less than full concerts, were/are/always will be vital testimonials of U2's rise to greatness, esp. of the years before the release of JT and the subsequent tour for it. Before the release of War, you could be forgiven for not knowing very much about U2, if anything at all. If you didn't have access to college radio and/or MTV (remember that, back in 1983 and before, not everyone had cable TV, and MTV was only on cable), you may not have ever heard "I Will Follow" or "Gloria". However, the release of War and, more importantly, two concerts performed and recorded during that tour exposed them to a wider audience. Of course, people will readily remember the Red Rocks show and the subsequent "Under A Blood Red Sky" video (as they should); however, equally remembered should be a show that occurred 6 days prior, their appearance at the US Festival. This was also on TV, and lots and lots of people were at the show in person. The combined effect definitely increased their profile in North America, along with tracks from War being played on the radio beyond just college radio.

However, their next steps on the ladder to a wider worldwide audience were two of the shows we are watching today. In a nutshell, their Live Aid appearance left a mark on the entire planet, and the following year's headlining on Amnesty International's "A Conspiracy Of Hope" tour solidified their A-list status - these shows combined created a fever pitch in advance of the release of their next album, which, of course, delivered in every way.

In many ways, this is one of my very favorite eras of the band, namely, the post-UF/pre-JT era. If you were already a fan earlier on, you could just feel that they were going to break into supergroup status. This growing frenzy compelled the band and Island Records to release "Wide Awake In America", an EP that wasn't originally planned to be made, but so great was the demand for new material from U2 that it had to be made. They took a few of the b-sides released on singles abroad and compiled them into a much-loved mini-album in advance of their Live Aid appearance. For a little over a month, the version of "Bad" on WAIA was the definitive version; it would be supplanted about 6 weeks later by the Live Aid version itself. Well, we could devote an entire thread (if not a website) to the global impact of the Live Aid concerts in London and Philadelphia - to put it briefly, any claims you may have ever heard about how impactful the event was on music were not exaggerated - the effect was seismic.

So much so that it, at least indirectly, inspired the following year's Amnesty International tour. This was a six-date tour (5 arenas, 1 stadium - the NJ Meadowlands got the one stadium show as the tour's finale)  - the first 3 shows in San Francisco, Los Angeles, and Denver (the last of which, bizarrely, didn't sell out) had U2 as the closing band; during the last 3 shows (Atlanta, Chicago, East Rutherford, NJ), U2 yielded the closing slot to the reunion of The Police (the first three shows had Sting as a solo act). The finale was also a full-day concert, just like Live Aid. Well, that show was great beyond description and was completely televised by MTV. (It also provided me with my very first occasion of seeing U2 live - so, obviously, it will always be an extra special show for me.) It's a shame that we don't get their whole set (we get their first three songs: "MLK", "Pride", and "Bad" - all coincidentally (or not) from UF), but even these on their own are great (the full set is here: https://www.u2.com/tour/date/3783 ). This finale was also watched worldwide. The frenzy for U2 was at its peak...until the band created a newer and higher peak on their next album and tour.

From these two seminal U2 appearances, let's fast forward to 2005 and Milan. I have a special place in my heart for the selection we get from Milan too - not because I was blessed enough to see it in person (I wasn't), but because it featured songs that were not played on the first leg (the setlist from the Chicago DVD was representative of the first leg of the Vertigo tour). The European setlist was extended into the second North American leg - so, it reminds me of the shows I saw them on in the autumn of 2005. Thus, different from the Chicago DVD, we get Vertigo-tour versions of: I Will Follow, ISHFWILF, AIWIY, WOWY, and (my favorite addition) Miss Sarajevo, complete with Bono's perfect Pavarotti impression. Despite not being a complete show, what we get is spectacular.

So, get ready to cherish three great shows - 2 of the 3 are partial shows, but they are still completely worth the time to watch and savor anyway. Enjoy! 😎

Edited by dmway
  • Like 3
  • Brilliant 1
  • bigwave unfeatured this topic