U2 A2Z MTV And Early POP Art - Request

• Subscriber

Good day y'all!

I have two questions/requests.

Back in 1997 when U2 premiered Discotheque it was on a "special" called U2 A2Z MTV, which played all of U2's videos in alphabetical order, including the new single. I recorded this on VHS but I don't know where that went and I don't really have a way to pull it off of there. I can't find it on YouTube anywhere. There MUST be a U2 fan somewhere who recorded this and converted it to digital. If you are that U2 fan, or you know someone who is, please let me know. I'd love to get my hands on it. Bonus if you've got the commercials it aired with (I love that kind of stuff).

When U2 was in the process of giving POP a name, they went through not only many names in development, but also went through designing some artwork to go with them. I think there was even a very early rendition of a cover using POP that was VERY different in style from what ended up being used. Does anyone know where I can find these things? I know the latter cover I mentioned exists SOMEWHERE, I saw it back in the late 90s. Can't seem to find it now.

One last bonus thing... when U2 delayed POP from Christmas 96 they sent the label some postcards that said Expect Nothing But The Best, and I THINK included a 30 second to one minute audio reel that had a part of Discotheque and a part of Wake Up Dead Man (the latter of which had a mix that included additional parts that didn't make it into the final mix). I found similar things on YouTube to this, but not THAT particular one. Does anyone know who might have this?

Wish I'd kept these things. It's nostalgia and inspiration for me.

Love to all :) Take Care!

• Like 1
  • Subscriber

First - I wish you luck in your quest and I’ll tell you at the outset that, unfortunately, I can’t help you with it directly.

That was an amazing special at the time, and I watched every bit of it! I still long for the extended 10-minute plus version of the “Discotheque” vídeo that traced the daily journey of the mirrorball - it was one of the more amusing videos I had ever seen. 😄

Are you a member of U2Start? I think someone there may be able to help you, if any area of the greater U2 fandom could - their website:

https://u2start.com/

Happy hunting!

• Like 1
  • Subscriber

Hey thank you so much. I'll check this out!

That video you're referring to I THINK is called the DM Deep Club Mix or something like that. Tried looking for that on YouTube (could have sworn I saw it recently) but couldn't find it. 

I did find a truncated version of it here, however: https://www.u2.com/media/player/223/6

• Thanks 1
  • Subscriber
1 hour ago, Ender said:

Hey thank you so much. I'll check this out!

That video you're referring to I THINK is called the DM Deep Club Mix or something like that. Tried looking for that on YouTube (could have sworn I saw it recently) but couldn't find it. 

I did find a truncated version of it here, however: https://www.u2.com/media/player/223/6

Yes, I’ve seen that one. One of the many “Discotheque” CD singles has the audio of it too.

The original full-cut is somewhere between 11 and 15 minutes long - that’s the one I can never find. A day in the life of a mirrorball... 😄 

I hope we both find what we’re looking for.

:Mirrorball:

Edited by dmway
  • Subscriber
4 hours ago, Ender said:

When U2 was in the process of giving POP a name, they went through not only many names in development, but also went through designing some artwork to go with them. I think there was even a very early rendition of a cover using POP that was VERY different in style from what ended up being used. Does anyone know where I can find these things? I know the latter cover I mentioned exists SOMEWHERE, I saw it back in the late 90s. Can't seem to find it now.

There are some early Pop cover designs here with different titles:
http://www.u2songs.com/news/pop_reissued_remastered_collected_and_dreams
http://www.u2interference.com/forums/f195/stealing-hearts-at-a-travelling-show-large-scans-201099.html

• Thanks 1
  • Subscriber
On 7/27/2020 at 2:19 PM, Canadanne said:

These are great! I love the prospective titles at the Interference thread link for their two "best of" albums: "Love Your Early Stuff" and "Even Better Than The Early Stuff". 😆 I almost wish they had used those titles.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Subscriber

Still looking for this A2Z POP thing... I've tried a few places but not really getting any hits which shocks me. Any other thoughts on what I can try or where I can look? Surely someone must have this tucked away somewhere.