dmway

Rumor of deluxe ATYCLB for October

Hmmm...well, I'm glad that this album is getting the deluxe treatment; however, as many of you have expressed above, I also am a bit confused by the offerings.

The good news: getting the CD version of the Boston show is a very nice bonus. Not everyone has the ability/interest in just ripping the audio off of the DVD, so, this is a welcome addition to the U2 catalogue.

However, even that offering has things that make one scratch one's head. When the most recent JT deluxe edition came out, I held off on getting the full boxset because I'm not all that bothered on having every single remix available. The 2CD version of the JT deluxe had the same live show from MSG included on it as the boxset, so I was completely content with that (really, I consider the original 2007 deluxe boxset to be more definitive for JT). However, the 2CD version of ATYCLB has an edited version of the Boston show, only including 13 of the 19 tracks. In addition, even the 2CD version of the show is still not the full show - both "Pride" and "Mysterious Ways" were performed at that concert. These were edited off of the DVD and, sadly, aren't reintroduced on the CDs, despite their being ample room to have included both. A bit of a missed opportunity...

I'm also a little sad that, if one already has the "Medium, Rare & Remastered" set from U2.com and "The Million Dollar Hotel" soundtrack, you basically have all of the extra studio tracks on offer here, with the exception of the acoustic "Stuck In A Moment" (perhaps there weren't any more unreleased tracks from the ATYCLB sessions). I guess the advantage is having them all on one disc - that's something, I suppose.

The remixes are a neutral for me - nice that they exist, but they probably won't get extended spins in my player.

For those outside the UK/ROI, you can finally have the version of ATYCLB with "The Ground Beneath Her Feet" as the concluding song. That will be helpful for some.

I'm also a bit disappointed that there isn't a video component for this set. However, consistent with my optimistic nature, I'm going take this omission as hopeful indirect sign that there is a deluxe HD live boxset coming someday. A U2 fan can dream, out loud even...

In summary, I will most probably get the deluxe boxset, but I wish I had had the option of getting a 3CD version that had the remastered ATYCLB with the full DVD-version of the Boston show - I would have purchased that in a heartbeat. (The 2CD version just has too much missing.)

• Brilliant 1

Yeah, U2 does this often, repackaged old material to make money. I wish they put the effort to release tons of new material like live tracks, videos etc. All that stuff sitting on a dark warehouse collecting dust and cobwebs. I'll buy the super cd package because I'm a sucker for the design and presentation (I'm graphic designer) but wished it had more to it. My gut tells me the band is not very aware of the fan desires and this is the record industry attempt to extort more $ from the fan base.

BTW, the acoustic version of "Stuck In A Moment" was offered as a single many years back on iTunes. Right around the time of "the complete U2" were released exclusively by Apple. So it's not new. 

1 hour ago, dmway said:

Hmmm...well, I'm glad that this album is getting the deluxe treatment; however, as many of you have expressed above, I also am a bit confused by the offerings.

The good news: getting the CD version of the Boston show is a very nice bonus. Not everyone has the ability/interest in just ripping the audio off of the DVD, so, this is a welcome addition to the U2 catalogue.

However, even that offering has things that make one scratch one's head. When the most recent JT deluxe edition came out, I held off on getting the full boxset because I'm not all that bothered on having every single remix available. The 2CD version of the JT deluxe had the same live show from MSG included on it as the boxset, so I was completely content with that (really, I consider the original 2007 deluxe boxset to be more definitive for JT). However, the 2CD version of ATYCLB has an edited version of the Boston show, only including 13 of the 19 tracks. In addition, even the 2CD version of the show is still not the full show - both "Pride" and "Mysterious Ways" were performed at that concert. These were edited off of the DVD and, sadly, aren't reintroduced on the CDs, despite their being ample room to have included both. A bit of a missed opportunity...

I'm also a little sad that, if one already has the "Medium, Rare & Remastered" set from U2.com and "The Million Dollar Hotel" soundtrack, you basically have all of the extra studio tracks on offer here, with the exception of the acoustic "Stuck In A Moment" (perhaps there weren't any more unreleased tracks from the ATYCLB sessions). I guess the advantage is having them all on one disc - that's something, I suppose.

The remixes are a neutral for me - nice that they exist, but they probably won't get extended spins in my player.

For those outside the UK/ROI, you can finally have the version of ATYCLB with "The Ground Beneath Her Feet" as the concluding song. That will be helpful for some.

I'm also a bit disappointed that there isn't a video component for this set. However, consistent with my optimistic nature, I'm going take this omission as hopeful indirect sign that there is a deluxe HD live boxset coming someday. A U2 fan can dream, out loud even...

In summary, I will most probably get the deluxe boxset, but I wish I had had the option of getting a 3CD version that had the remastered ATYCLB with the full DVD-version of the Boston show - I would have purchased that in a heartbeat. (The 2CD version just has too much missing.)

Yes, I tend to agree with you, the box set has lovely packaging and I look forwards to the Anton Corbijn book. However like you I would really have liked a video, this could have been a upgraded HD version of the Boston concert or another concert on the tour we have not seen before. Like you I have the "Medium, Rare & Remastered" set, but I have not heard the Million Dollar Hotel soundtrack and I quite like the remixes and have not heard the ones here so there are a few new things for me. Like you I also hold out hope that a deluxe HD live video boxset will arrive someday, still waiting for the Joshua Tree Anniversary Tour video.

• Like 1

You can’t blame them, they want new material
Our stuff’s been repeated too many times
You can’t sell the same thing to the same old crowd forever

• Like 1
  • Brilliant 2

12 minutes ago, Grzeko said:

You can’t blame them, they want new material
Our stuff’s been repeated too many times
You can’t sell the same thing to the same old crowd forever

Exactly this, Numb video remix  intro. They've turned 180 degrees....

There was a time when I gobbled up anything U2 without thinking twice. But the last few years, and in particular the 30th anniversary Joshua Tree release, has been a bit of a realisation for me that I'm just another sucker buying the same thing over and over. I'll happily skip this ATYCLB re-issue. There is absolutely nothing new/interesting for me here. I already have all those b-sides. Not interested in remixes. Elevation live can be experiened on the Boston DVD. I'm not shelling out for another box to gather dust on a shelf. I know others will say I'm being a misery guts, but I just feel a sense of peace actually, that I can skip this (and probably future re-issues too) without any sense of regret or want.

kerching yet again the reason why i'm turning against the band i've followed for 38 years,I remember the days when larry used to moan about the quality and cost of U2 t-shirts,i'd hazard a very big guess he wouldn't be arsed thesedays about such trivial matters as a well overpriced rehash of stuff we already have left behind(excuse the pun)

Maybe we'll get a blue envelope was it mich40 or max as an old timer the grey matter from zootopia of old has faded lol

Everyone who has posted here has expressed my own thoughts so I won't repeat what has already been said. What I will say is that either U2 or people in their organization seem to think that there is an insatiable demand for remixes. Just a quick glance through this forum shows that fans are interested in previously unreleased live material. Remixes are a curiosity/novelty not a major selling point.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Brilliant 2

7 hours ago, CorkVegan said:

Everyone who has posted here has expressed my own thoughts so I won't repeat what has already been said. What I will say is that either U2 or people in their organization seem to think that there is an insatiable demand for remixes. Just a quick glance through this forum shows that fans are interested in previously unreleased live material. Remixes are a curiosity/novelty not a major selling point.

This.  So much this.  Give me a box set with the album, the b-sides/other songs, and two unreleased live shows, and I'll happily part with my money.  But a live show we already have on DVD, and re-mixes?  No thanks.

• Like 1

Rather underwhelmed at the offering as I have a big catalogue of U2 and have everything aside from the 4 new remixes (dance remixes are not for me) and the audio version of the Boston show (I've really wanted a CD version of this so that's great at least). Don't get me wrong the boxset looks incredible and will be very appealing to people who don't have the 'Unreleased & Rare' album but I am slightly disappointed.

I think I expected too much, its one of my favourite U2 eras and I was hoping for a raw demo version of the album at the very least, like Kindergarten Achtung Baby. Oh well, opportunity missed...

Edited by adamtaglietti
  • Upvote 1