dmway

Rumor of deluxe ATYCLB for October

Looking forward to this beautiful piece of the box set. 

• Like 3

The only cool thing about those boxsets are the packaging, books and design (the presentation). The songs and videos usually are already out there and most hardcore U2 fans that are the main target of this products, own it. Again, a money grab. Give us real value with content from those secret vaults. 

Edited by OB
  • Upvote 1

I'm glad some have the money to buy these things---I don't and I want that awesome looking book Mich40 mentioned. 

To ALL people/bands who are in charge of these anniversary super deluxe things:  I bought the original album.  I then bought the cd.  I paid for tickets and went to the shows.  I bought merchandise. I buy the dvd's.. You then offer me pretty much what I already own but add one or two new things.  You charge a premium but it's old merchandise that's been given a new coat of paint. In a decade or so, you will probably release the same thing again (with one or two bonuses) and charge even more,  In the end, it is for old music, yet you keep upping the price.. 

I understand it's my choice if I buy these things or not.  Nobody is forcing me.  However, why do you not make those one ot two new things, which die hard fans would not have, available for sale without the necessity of buying what we already own multiple times?  

My criticism is of the machine, not U2.

Edited by Manohlive
  • Like 3

7 new tracks out of 50?!!!!!! doesn't anybody there realise that the people who might be willing to shell out a MINIMUM of £90 for something impressive already have all this music?!!!! exact same rort as the joshua tree box set! totally ridiculous!

• Upvote 1

Disappointing release for sure.

In comparison with re-issues from some other bands in recent years it compares very badly in terms of content. 

For example REM's, Automatic for the People and The Beatles, Abbey Road re-issues included great sounding new high resolution audio and 5.1 mixes on blu ray disc at lower cost.

There was much potential for this reissue but unfortunately I have to agree with most of the other comments on here expressing dissapointment. 

Altough it is true to say it is impossible to please everyone, I think a band like U2 should be setting the bar for re-issues but I don't think this is the case here.

• Upvote 2

On 9/11/2020 at 3:41 PM, Manohlive said:

My criticism is of the machine, not U2.

But U2 feeds that machine. I get that the band is probably not involved on those decisions, but is it possible they have absolutely no clue at all?

Couldn't they see this is an ongoing thing? Look at the lack of excitement content on U2.com. Finally this year they gave us the full E+I show but for a long time it was pretty weak membership gifts and absolutely nothing beyond that during the year. 

14 hours ago, OB said:

is it possible they have absolutely no clue at all?

I hope they have no clue at all because they are sheltering to stay safe during the pandemic, and they are busy working on the next new CD and tour.

I was differentiating between the machine and the band. My criticism is of the music industry at large. I feel this toward ALL super duper platinum packages; no matter the band, concert, event or venue.  It's frustrating the only way I can decide if I like the remixes is to buy the whole shabang. It's even more so, for me, with the Anton Corbijn book.  I'll buy this used a few years from now so all good in the end. 

That being said, I wish there was a package where one could buy the full All That You Can't Leave Behind cd, with bonus tracks, and the Anton Corbijn book.  

Edited by Manohlive

Hey, no need to wait till October to buy this box set. I'm listening to all the tracks now, why? Because I already have them lol 🤣🤣

Seriously though, apart from remastered versions of all these tracks and the books, this is so lame.

I will enjoy listening to the album and bonus tracks again in a remastered sound but I already own all of this and is nothing new.

The stuck in a moment acoustic single that people seem to think is an added bonus was in fact a b-side on the Walk On single so again, nothing new.

Everyone has the tracks from Medium Rare and Remastered and the Ground Beneath Her Feet soundtrack as well as the Boston show on DVD.

Besides, the standout tracks of that show was Bad/40/Streets which I already have on CD and appeared as a B-side on the Electrical Storm single.

The remixes I never like so the fact there are 4 unheard remixes means nothing to me and they are probably worse than the others.

They could of added on the live version of Walk On which they did for a 9/11 tv broadcast and does appear on the CD of that show.

There must be live stuff they have in there vaults from the Elevation 2001 shows either filmed or recorded in high quality which could of been released or a 4k version of the Boston show would of been nice.

Or perhaps record 2 new songs especially for this release from songs that were considered for the original album but never got finished? 

I am a hardcore U2 fan and I will be in no hurry to buy this. Really poor 😪

Edited by realgonekid
  • Upvote 1