Rumor of deluxe ATYCLB for October

• Subscriber

I bought the AB uber deluxe 20th anniversary reissue for just over $300 from Amazon Canada (which was somehow cheaper than Amazon US). That set was a veritable cornucopia loaded with conent - EXTENSIVE tracks on cd (two albums, tonnes of remixes, and alternate version of AB) and vinyl (album  and all complete singles), two excellent documentaries (one of which was only aired on TV; my old VHS recording of it was wearing thin), music videos, Live from Sydney dvd (previously only available on VHS and Laserdisc), the best packaging I've ever seen with a magnetic tiled cover and pull out drawer box, 84(!) page HC book, Propaganda magazine reprint, 16 art prints, large sticker sheet, beautiful tour pins, and a pair of fly glasses! 

The 2017 JT reissue was much less fancy, but was still great to have the MSG show, alternate versions of old tracks (not just remixes), and all the b-sides and rarities together on the same slab of vinyl. Plus Edge's book was almost worth the price alone. I still happily shelled out premium pricing to get it. 

The ATYCLB reissue is very disappointing. To buy this at roughly the same price in Canadian $$ as the AB reissue, for what I estimate to be 1/4 of the content, is no longer acceptable in my mind. I sincerely hope that U2 management recognize that the hard core fans are getting tired of this trend of overpaying for underwhelming content. I will be taking a pass this time. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2
  • Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I finally got my copy of the new CD remaster today. The packaging is very nice! I’m sure the sound will be improved too - I’ll let you know when I get a chance to listen to it. They “remastered”

Everyone who has posted here has expressed my own thoughts so I won't repeat what has already been said. What I will say is that either U2 or people in their organization seem to think that there is a

Posted Images

• Subscriber

It's this simple, just group all of the songs related to one album and viola! Pop 20th anniversary deluxe playlist 😊👍You're welcome.

20200916_082530.jpg

Edited by realgonekid
  • Subscriber

I think possibly ATYCLB is coming from the end of U2's career where there just isn't so much quality, unreleased stuff left in the vault. And "remastering" an album from 2000 doesn't really make sense either. Mastering in 2000 was already all high-quality, digital, polished. Sure, they could have included a different concert, and possibly new video. But as for video, well, I'm not sure DVD or Blu-ray releases make any sense anymore. It's just not how people consume video. CDs are at the very tail end of being justifiable. But people just don't consume video via optical discs now.

So they've really just packaged together (quite nicely it must be admitted) what they have, and are charging as much as they can get away with for it. To be honest, I don't really blame them - it's a different world now for a music artist (and their team) to generate revenue. They've got to come up with something, and this is it.

Still, I'm content to pass, with no sense of regret or disappointment.

Edited by colinos
small typo fix
  • Upvote 1
  • Brilliant 1
  • Subscriber
11 hours ago, colinos said:

I and possibly new video. But as for video, well, I'm not sure DVD or Blu-ray releases many any sense anymore. It's just not how people consume video. CDs are at the very tail end of being justifiable. But people just don't consume video via optical discs now.

This is true, but again they could make this box interesting with a ATYCLB downloadable new concert from their site. No need to create the physical blu-ray that I agree the ones I have I already ripped into my computer. We all know U2 have all this content sitting on vaults but they are lazy to edit and release it. It's that extra effort that counts especially when they charge a pretty penny for it. 

All That You Can't Leave Behind? It's a great album, and U2's last effort that seemed to deliver what it set out to do with its incredible focused.

You have the euphoric first few tracks but regardless, I always get a sense of peace and serenity from the album. I'm always struck by it's understated and thoughtful nature. It's a beautiful album and one that is like daylight in contrast to the darker material they tackled in the 1990s.

Moving on to the 1990s then. why there hasn't been a Pop reissue I have no idea. While it is a bit messy (starts at a party and ends at a funeral yet even though, both contrasting styles contain excellent work), it is a very fine album indeed and arguably their most rewarding album in the last 25 years. It has a great sonic tapestry and musical ambition to it that has been lacking with U2's work in recent years (aside from a handful of Eno/Lanois produced tracks from Leave Behind and No Line, much of what we have got is fairly unambitious). Bono's lyrics are on fine form too. For sure, no hit singles and nothing close to it, but the subtle nature of much of it digs deep under your skin. It is such a shame how unheralded it is.

• Upvote 2
  • Subscriber
On 9/16/2020 at 11:13 AM, colinos said:

I'm not sure DVD or Blu-ray releases many any sense anymore. It's just not how people consume video. CDs are at the very tail end of being justifiable. But people just don't consume video via optical discs now.

Well, I buy them and there are a lot of collectors who buy them too. Vinyl is out there too. There is still a market for these things.  The age of streaming kills the fun of collecting. Also hoping that concerts will disappear from the net in case of broadcasting rights...

Streaming ok, but why no collectors issues??? 

• Subscriber
On 8/18/2020 at 9:32 PM, RobAneurysm said:

I'll be all over this like a rash if it's done like the Joshua Tree set. Wish they would re-release the early LPs on double Vinyls as the sounds not great on the single LPs due to too much music on each side.

Would you mind then, if I cut in front of you to get my copy before you touch it ?!

Kidding...I hear you.

"Very cool will the presentation be...." Yoda, as quoted by EMI.

• Like 1
  • Subscriber
9 hours ago, mattydd said:

All That You Can't Leave Behind? It's a great album, and U2's last effort that seemed to deliver what it set out to do with its incredible focused.

You have the euphoric first few tracks but regardless, I always get a sense of peace and serenity from the album. I'm always struck by it's understated and thoughtful nature. It's a beautiful album and one that is like daylight in contrast to the darker material they tackled in the 1990s.

Moving on to the 1990s then. why there hasn't been a Pop reissue I have no idea. While it is a bit messy (starts at a party and ends at a funeral yet even though, both contrasting styles contain excellent work), it is a very fine album indeed and arguably their most rewarding album in the last 25 years. It has a great sonic tapestry and musical ambition to it that has been lacking with U2's work in recent years (aside from a handful of Eno/Lanois produced tracks from Leave Behind and No Line, much of what we have got is fairly unambitious). Bono's lyrics are on fine form too. For sure, no hit singles and nothing close to it, but the subtle nature of much of it digs deep under your skin. It is such a shame how unheralded it is.

Well said.

• Subscriber
On 9/12/2020 at 6:45 PM, jaimearodriguez said:

82B85BAC-2243-4D18-929D-38FD3E32479C.jpeg

I’m glad I wasn’t drinking when I first read this - I would have spit my drink across the room... 😄