#U2getherAtHome - A celebration of The Unforgettable Fire

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

no Unforgettable Fire play should be without the best B side ever... so...    

As it should be… All the thanks to Jo and Ty for this nice listening party at distance...  We all may be far away in distance, but things like this make us close as a community. Let's see what the

Guess who's back? HA ! As part of the #U244 events, I'm teaming up with the brilliant Tyler of RevU2 podcast and bringing back a new version of the U2getherAtHome party!  Off with the shows,

Posted Images

• Community Moderator

As it should be… All the thanks to Jo and Ty for this nice listening party at distance...  We all may be far away in distance, but things like this make us close as a community.

Let's see what the future brings us... meanwhile, take care and be safe, girls and boys...

• Like 3
  • Subscriber
16 minutes ago, mich40 said:

That was from Rattle and Hum. And Max would never joke about that.

Got it now.  Thank for solving that.  I've seen Rattle and Hum.  I was here for the viewing party.    Duh!   Lol

• Subscriber

Well, the Universe seems to know that the UF release anniversary is imminent. I turned on MTV Classic this morning - lo and behold, the first video that I saw was “Pride”! 😎 (And once you see it, you ask yourself yet again why Bono chose to extinguish a burning match in his mouth during it. 😆)

My pre-viewing thoughts for this album are back on page 2 of this thread; however, I do have more memories of substance from the UF era - more on that later. Thanks again to @Madfl3a for coordinating the viewing/listening here.

Edited by dmway
  • Haha 1
  • Subscriber
On 9/27/2020 at 2:23 PM, dmway said:

My pre-viewing thoughts for this album are back on page 2 of this thread; however, I do have more memories of substance from the UF era - more on that later.

...and "later" now has come! (All apologies for the delay, if you were expecting more sooner.)

As I alluded to back on page 2, all of us in our suite (our dormitory had four rooms close together that shared a bathroom - those four-room groups were called "suites"), were U2 fans to varying degrees. I was one of the two biggest ones in our suite; the other who was in my league was quite devoted himself too.

He had a copy of the "Pride" single - so we got to hear "Boomerang" and "Boomerang II" long before many others. (I was also pleasantly surprised to hear that the rhythm track from these extra tracks ended up being reused for U2's version of "Night And Day" on the "Red Hot + Blue" compilation six years later.) We also played the UABRS and War cassettes incessantly, in addition the new UF cassette - yes, we did learn to appreciate UF pretty quickly, so my 10-mile walk to buy it wasn't in vain after all.

Anyway, since he also had a car and a higher amount of expendable income, he bought a ticket to the Hampton, VA show (since that was as close as they were coming to our campus in NC on the UF tour) in April 1985. This was their first North American tour where they were primarily playing arenas for a large majority of the tour (they had just graduated to arenas near the end of the War tour); since they preferred to have a close connection with the crowd, these shows were almost all GA on the floor (the Hampton, VA show was one of those shows) - of course, they brought back all-GA floors from the Elevation tour onward; however, this tour for UF was the first where they did it in a widespread way for arenas.

Well, of course, he was elated! (I didn't have the disposable income enough to join him, but I was very happy for him.) So, now, he was wrestling with a conundrum - it was a mid-week show and school was still in session. Of course, he was a healthy young college student - so, his plan was to drive out for the show, be as enthusiastic a fan as he could be at the show, and drive back to school immediately afterward. A person of his age would of course have had the energy and stamina to have done such a thing. So, he was all set...or so it seemed.

Unfortunately, this is one of those times where reality can end up interfering with a dream. Since he was an honest and dutiful son, he felt an obligation to clear this plan with his Dad. Well, you can already feel what is coming, can't you? His Dad forbade him to go to the show. He argued mightily to get permission to go, but his efforts were ultimately in vain. Since he was as honest as I said above, he abided by his Dad's wishes. (I always wondered if he had regretted bringing up the issue in the first place; I don't know.)

Now, of course, all of us in the suite (in our 18 year-old wisdom) told him to go anyway. If his Dad had called to check on him, we told him that we would cover for him. However, he was a good son and he didn't go (I think he was able to sell the ticket, so there was somewhat of a happy ending). Still, I wish he could have gone - it would have been a cool tour to see. I do think that if the show had been on a weekend, he would have been allowed to go - his Dad just didn't want him to potentially miss any classes the next day. Such are the difficulties that arise at such a tender age.

• Brilliant 1
  • Subscriber
1 hour ago, andryu2 said:

I guess your friend still regrets having listened to his dad!

I still wonder if he ever thinks about it. He must from time to time.

I have one other story about the UF era when it was new, but I’m on the fence about sharing it. I’ll think about it some more...

• Like 1