U2.com 2021 Subscription Gift Offer : U2 Live at the Apollo : Discussion Thread

• Subscriber
7 minutes ago, joshthetree said:

We've had CDs, vinyl, books and prints. I think we need a VHS and compact cassette just to complete our collections🙃😉

Looking forward to the JT30 film coming out on laser disc. ▶️⏹⏭

• Haha 1
  • Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

'U2: Live At The Apollo' This double CD set, bookending a beautiful photo booklet, is now in production. We'll be emailing our 2021 subscribers with news on the first tracks available

I think that was one if you look at the right side of the stage, directly under the lamp you can see side stage. (Photo credit to someone else, not mine)   Here it is in one of my photos, righ

Posted Images

• Subscriber

Are they releasing only the songs or also the video of the Apollo event?

I hope they will have both and the video as 4K just like they did with the Berlin show.

• Subscriber
On 12/30/2020 at 12:38 PM, dmway said:

However, I have often wondered why audio gifts aren’t offered in multiple physical formats

Production costs would increase.  Whomever is in charge of this would be faced with an impossible task. You need different packaging for each format.  You need different production lines, or the ones you are using altered.  That costs money and can take a lot of time.  You need more people so each format could operate on it's own . There is human error, which almost always occurs. Imagine vinyl production hits a snag and halts.  What do they do?  If they continue to send out the cd's and other formats, while those who chose vinyl sit and wait, people will have a fit. If they stop sending out all the other formats, people will have a fit and then you've the cost of storing all those other formats and disrupting the postal part of delivering these gifts.  That costs money. What if the trend was that most wanted vinyl, they then get a surge of cd's requested and did not have enough?  Again, what do they do?  Send out the vinyls while those who wanted cd's wait? 

Production is quite complicated and has become incredibly expensive.  Wages, benefits, insurance, etc.Costs of materials keeps increasing.  One format may be more expensive than another. There is no way they could do all without the cost skyrocketing.  If you can't produce and stay within budget, all hell breaks loose. It can halt the entire process.  Each time it's halted, the price keeps going up and up. Personally, I don't think it's feasible, even though it's a nice thought.

• Community Moderator
35 minutes ago, OB said:

Are they releasing only the songs or also the video of the Apollo event?

I hope they will have both and the video as 4K just like they did with the Berlin show.

From https://www.u2.com/news/title/for-one-night-only-subscriber-offer/ :

Now the set will be released in a special commemorative CD and download package, the latest of our U2.com limited editions.

First downloads, tracklisting details and news on delivery coming in early 2021.

• Subscriber
On 12/23/2020 at 1:38 PM, peterferris8 said:

Ooooh, nice. Might have to resub this year!

Please do.  I love your comments in the live threads, the music you post in what r u listening to and others. 

• Like 1
  • Subscriber
3 hours ago, OB said:

Hoping the video can later be part of the gift package as streaming bonus here on u2.com.

Thank you for mentioning that. Was the concert recorded on video by the band? (I always suspected that the “alternative” methods of obtaining this show that @Max Tsukino mentioned on the previous page used cellphone video. Obviously, I don’t have the alternative in question.)

Does anyone know one way or the other?

Edited by dmway
  • Subscriber
1 hour ago, dmway said:

Thank you for mentioning that. Was the concert recorded on video by the band? (I always suspected that the “alternative” methods of obtaining this show that @Max Tsukino mentioned on the previous page used cellphone video. Obviously, I don’t have the alternative in question.)

4 hours ago, OB said:

Hoping the video can later be part of the gift package as streaming bonus here on u2.com.

The Apollo Concert was also filmed with 360 degree cameras, for a possible web project that has never been released. Apparently the audience was jumping so much that the vibration of the theatre caused problem for the footage recorded with the 360 cameras - especially the main one. The band did also film the event with traditional cameras and have uploaded clips of When Love Come To Town and Angel Of Harlem to YouTube. However when watching these you'll probably realise that the traditional camera footage is nowhere near the quality of an official home release. Unfortunately I don't think we'll ever get a Film of this event.

• Thanks 1
  • Subscriber
16 hours ago, dmway said:

Well, seeing fan clips on YT of the show, they for sure had pro-gear filming it. I also don't think they were 360 cameras. I am hoping a video can come along. That would be awesome if they have that material sitting somewhere. Release to the fans even if the quality is not top notch. 

Screen Shot 2021-01-12 at 4.11.02 PM.png

Edited by OB
  • Thanks 1
  • Subscriber
1 hour ago, OB said:

Well, seeing fan clips on YT of the show, they for sure had pro-gear filming it. I also don't think they were 360 cameras. I am hoping a video can come along. That would be awesome if they have that material sitting somewhere. Release to the fans even if the quality is not top notch. 

Screen Shot 2021-01-12 at 4.11.02 PM.png

Yes - I would call that incontrovertible evidence! 😄 That’s very good to know - thank you!

Reports of 360-degree cameras would be hard to make up - they have a very distinctive appearance (this was by me at the Newark show back in 2018): 

777D098E-6C97-4EBD-8299-54E7C059FC72.jpeg

• Like 1